Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps facing relegation  (Read 66871 times)

Beckenham Bandit

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps facing relegation
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2022, 10:52:16 PM »
Oh my God !!     Lazarus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha ha. Glad I am so fondly remembered. Now a Blackheath fan. Better National 2 than bust.

There’s me hoping you’d returned to announce you’d won Euromillions and were buying the club..

Ha ha.

Beckenham Bandit

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2022, 10:57:39 PM »
There was me thinking the day couldn't get any worse and Beckenham turns up to gloat  tell us all he told us so.....

Thanks for that Becks, hope this makes you feel better

Chin up.

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2022, 11:06:06 PM »

If you were a rich potential owner, why would you write off £35m+ ?

Presumably you'd only do that if you had an affinity for the club.
So, the next question would be "where were you ~10 years ago?"

I worry that there isn't a rich benefactor with enough love for Wasps to write off that kind of debt

9 years ago a man named Jim Ratcliffe had been busy buying up petro chemical facilities that the big companies, like ICI and BP, were trying to get out of, and he was hugely in debt as a result. Reportedly hundreds of millions. He paid that debt off, but it took him a few years. Around 2015 he started to make headway and started to make substantial positive cashflow. Now, he is estimated to have a personal wealth of £20+bn. Right now, with the current crisis, he is making as much as £50m a week.

He is known to be able to buy Man Utd with petty cash, if the Glazers were willing to sell (they are not). He is, as they say 'in the market'. Is he a rugby fan? I do not know. He attended Beverley Grammar School and most likely would have played rugby there.

He sponsors a cycling team. He owns two football clubs. He has a willingness to invest in sport.

This is the solution I have wondered about for a while. Sir Dave Brailsford looks after Ineos’ sporting portfolio which has also included Americas cup, F1 and projects like the sub 2 hour marathon. Wasps set up with a women’s team, the netball and a good stadium might appeal more than if we were just a rugby club. Radcliffe owns Nice football club and their stadium is amazing. It is all peanuts compared to his bid for Man Utd but if he does get Man U I can’t see him bothering with us. It might be a very long shot but I think it might be the only shot and not completely beyond the realms of possibility.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2022, 11:09:11 PM »
sad to see nothing has changed in your world Becks, still the same sad little man you were all those years ago.
can't say I'm that surprised really....

Beckenham Bandit

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2022, 11:15:05 PM »
I haven't given Wasps a second thought for a long time until I read the news today. I was not alone in my objections to the move to Coventry. Richmond, London Scottish etc are more sustainable clubs and still play in their home city where they should be playing.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2022, 11:23:34 PM »
I haven't given Wasps a second thought for a long time until I read the news today. I was not alone in my objections to the move to Coventry. Richmond, London Scottish etc are more sustainable clubs and still play in their home city where they should be playing.

Why are you here?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2022, 07:20:30 AM »
Because he has nothing else to do.  He is a soul-mate of Dehuminator.  Don't let the bastards  grind you down Waspies.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2022, 07:50:33 AM »

[size=78%]Ultimately he predicted it correctly.[/size]
Predicted the battle with the ccfc owners, predicted teams regularly breaching the salary cap, and predicted a pandemic all contributing to the financial problems we're facing... Or at least he just hoped that something would go bad.

SBSam was also correct that the recent signs were more significant than we hoped they were.

But ultimately, who gives a fuck about being right.

I'm glad that Beckenham has found a new love and therefore hasn't felt the need to tell others how to behave or what to like.
I still hold out hope that we don't find ourselves having to think about doing the same thing

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2022, 07:59:20 AM »
To be honest I really hate being in Coventry, it’s a 3 1/2 hour round trip to watch a game now, with a lot of games now being played on a Sunday. We have been so poorly run in the last 2 years, that game day is really a non-event nowadays.

My disappointment is we have a selection of excellent youngsters coming through and have the potential of a great team. The only problem is we have no money and therefore have a poor coaching set up, to potentially see the Willis brothers  playing for someone else, is going to be difficult.

A lot of bullshit has come from the club, so it’s difficult to believe anything they say. I’m really disappointed in the way the club has treated the bond holders and the delay in paying the money back. It would be nice to actually get some truth from the club and stop upsetting the locals, why should they support a poorly run club

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2022, 08:15:27 AM »
Refinance info to be given to @WaspsRugby players and staff today after application for administration "We have arranged for our restructuring partner, FRP, together with board members, to be available at the training ground in person tomorrow to answer any questions directly."

https://twitter.com/chrisjonespress/status/1572846136322400263?s=46&t=rsbpO3Xr9SCtU7kMZFfcaw

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2022, 08:21:21 AM »
To be honest I really hate being in Coventry, it’s a 3 1/2 hour round trip to watch a game now, with a lot of games now being played on a Sunday. We have been so poorly run in the last 2 years, that game day is really a non-event nowadays.

My disappointment is we have a selection of excellent youngsters coming through and have the potential of a great team. The only problem is we have no money and therefore have a poor coaching set up, to potentially see the Willis brothers  playing for someone else, is going to be difficult.

A lot of bullshit has come from the club, so it’s difficult to believe anything they say. I’m really disappointed in the way the club has treated the bond holders and the delay in paying the money back. It would be nice to actually get some truth from the club and stop upsetting the locals, why should they support a poorly run club
That’s one way of looking at it Westy. Another is that after the extreme circumstances of covid we’re lucky the club is still going. It’s core business is sport, entertainment and conferencing - all of which got utterly hammered. I suspect we have no idea of the work and efforts that have gone on to keep us going. So it may be that we’re excellently run against an extremely challenging backdrop. And by the way - this is not a done deal - keep the faith.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2022, 08:22:55 AM »
... why should they support a poorly run club

I stopped going to the Ricoh (as it was then) when both my brother and dad found it too difficult to come, leaving me on my own. When in big crowds and busy places, I need someone with me in case I melt down, someone who will calm me and take me to a quiet, dark room. It has not happened that I have needed it at a game, but I have changed my life to minimise such events (my last melt down was at home a few weeks ago).

The problem is that the club is now more than ever, but even a few years ago, run on a shoestring budget and is simply under-resourced. Even the best intentioned people cannot run it well under these circumstances, and the people at Wasps are super nice folk.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2022, 08:40:57 AM »
Refinance info to be given to @WaspsRugby players and staff today after application for administration "We have arranged for our restructuring partner, FRP, together with board members, to be available at the training ground in person tomorrow to answer any questions directly."

https://twitter.com/chrisjonespress/status/1572846136322400263?s=46&t=rsbpO3Xr9SCtU7kMZFfcaw
Will someone be able to provide a precis of where we are, today? I understand the reason for the application, but acknowledge that it's not a destination and it would be great to get an endorsed position and get a feel for our prospects.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2022, 08:44:02 AM »
I’m not saying they are not nice people and I’m sure DR cares a great deal for Wasps.

the CBS arena was meant to be place that brought in extra money to help run the rugby club, ‘the richest in Europe’ before the pandemic it was losing money and therefore making it harder to run the club. I know in the recent statement it says the arena is the busiest it’s ‘ever’ been, really, is that really the case.

Maybe I have such a dislike for Coventry and to see the club in this position, that I’m finding it difficult to believe anything now. Rugby is a very entertaining game, especially the way Wasps play it, supporting another team is going to be difficult.

Maybe this is effecting the players, it must be difficult not to have it in their thoughts. That’s maybe why the basics are hard to come by now. If you’re in a good place you don’t even think about the basics it just happens

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2022, 08:44:52 AM »

Will someone be able to provide a precis of where we are, today? I understand the reason for the application, but acknowledge that it's not a destination and it would be great to get an endorsed position and get a feel for our prospects.

Simple explantion : It's a pre-emptive move to keep HMRC at bay whilst Wasps get deal(s) done to sort out financing once and for all.