Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps facing relegation  (Read 66865 times)

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps facing relegation
« Reply #240 on: October 05, 2022, 02:49:59 PM »
If the contracts are now void for the Worcester players, who are Bath loaning the players from now. Does it stop being a loan, can bath still play them

Oooh, now THAT is a good question!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 05, 2022, 02:51:53 PM »
If the contracts are now void for the Worcester players, who are Bath loaning the players from now. Does it stop being a loan, can bath still play them

I think the answer is yes they can play them. They will now be on short term injury contract - similar to Wade at Racing.

The question is then what happens to them when the Bath players come back later in Oct and Nov.
Let me tell you something cucumber

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 05, 2022, 03:05:44 PM »
They will now be on short term injury contract

I know there is the "Medical Joker" policy in the Top 14, but I wasn't aware of anything similar in the prem. I thought any injury cover had to be covered under your existing cap. Does anyone know what the actual rules are here?

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 05, 2022, 03:45:38 PM »

I know there is the "Medical Joker" policy in the Top 14, but I wasn't aware of anything similar in the prem. I thought any injury cover had to be covered under your existing cap. Does anyone know what the actual rules are here?
[/quot

It used to be that you had a certain amount for injury jokers, Wasps have used them previously. Those with better memories than I will remember which players perhaps. I assume the rule hasn't changed, though the amount may have done.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 05, 2022, 03:51:36 PM »

[/quot

It used to be that you had a certain amount for injury jokers, Wasps have used them previously. Those with better memories than I will remember which players perhaps. I assume the rule hasn't changed, though the amount may have done.

I think Van Vuren was one last season ( now full contract)

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 05, 2022, 04:15:33 PM »
So we have been given the 10 extra days - is this correct?

If so surely evidence must have been provided to suggest we are in serious negotiation with investors and funders and by the sounds of it more than one party.

I appreciate none of this is good news but why would we be allowed another 10 days if the court, RFU and PRL are not satisfied with what has been discussed with said investors and funders.

For me we must have some serious and genuine investors and funders that could see our long term future, the problem is do we have enough time to sort it. Is the 10 days the absolute maximum we are allowed?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 05, 2022, 04:18:17 PM »
Blackett confirming in the Coventry Telegraph tonight:
1) We’re not in a position to offer contracts to Wuss players.
2) We can’t offer contract extensions at the moment
3) Another meeting was held today to explain the new NOI. Vaughan and Holland explaining. Blackett didn’t give details but said it was “honest and positive”.
4) He expects something to happen soon rather than in a long time off at which point his priority will be “player retention”.

I guess point 4 is the most positive!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 05, 2022, 04:18:27 PM »
So we have been given the 10 extra days - is this correct?

Yes, but do not presume too much in to the justification placed before the judge. All it had to be was sufficient for that purpose.

Is the 10 days the absolute maximum we are allowed?

Yes. Nuts on the chopping block time.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 04:27:22 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 05, 2022, 04:27:06 PM »
3) Another meeting was held today to explain the new NOI. Vaughan and Holland explaining. Blackett didn’t give details but said it was “honest and positive”.
4) He expects something to happen soon rather than in a long time off at which point his priority will be “player retention”.

That's bad news about contract negotiations. If you were a player, would you hold on in the hope it gets resolved? Or would you take the security of a signed deal elsewhere? I know what I'd do.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 05, 2022, 04:31:29 PM »

That's bad news about contract negotiations. If you were a player, would you hold on in the hope it gets resolved? Or would you take the security of a signed deal elsewhere? I know what I'd do.

In the normal scheme of things, Wasps would have already made contract extension offers by this point in the season, and also told those who would not receive such offers that they were on their way out. Those players will likely have been told that. The players Wasps want to keep, will have been told, we would like to keep you, but can't offer anything just yet. And, as you say, their agents will be working on Plan B. Some players will have said that they do not want to sign an extension/new contract anyway. To retire or move on. But, unlike other clubs, Wasps really can't be out there to fill the gaps they will now have. As a result, the squad is most likely to be weaker than this year. If we get to next year that is.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 05:18:33 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 05, 2022, 04:40:12 PM »

A few things to factor in. They will know a lot more than us. It’s “fairly” early in the renegotiation stakes and it can’t be dragged out much more than 10 more days. With the lower cap offers might not be prolific (depends who you are). If it were me I’d probably hold on for 10 days and see what happens.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 05, 2022, 04:55:39 PM »

A few things to factor in. They will know a lot more than us. It’s “fairly” early in the renegotiation stakes and it can’t be dragged out much more than 10 more days. With the lower cap offers might not be prolific (depends who you are). If it were me I’d probably hold on for 10 days and see what happens.

Shugs - you should be immune to negativety from the "Other Place"

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 05, 2022, 04:57:09 PM »

I agree 10 days waiting isn't too long. I can't see another club saying sign now or else.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 05, 2022, 05:07:54 PM »
 :)Neils - I think I am.  I’d that here or “there”?

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 05, 2022, 05:22:51 PM »
A measure of the progress of our negotiations could be seen in whether we pick up any Worcester players who are now free agents. In any other circumstances we would be in prime position to sign them. Geography, need, room in the cap. The only thing that would stop us is if we have an uncertain future. If we sign any of them I would take it as a very good sign. Not signing them might be a worrying sign.

Or maybe we don't want any of them.

I think Duhan van der Merwe might add something...

Yes please

Gone back to Edinburgh