Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps facing relegation  (Read 66857 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps facing relegation
« Reply #345 on: October 11, 2022, 07:38:02 AM »

I agree Westy.
Ashley could easily afford to run a rugby club, but I'm sure he doesn't want to
So while that might save us today, tomorrow may not be much brighter.

However, I'm not sure where "home" is these days, and I'm not sure where we'd play.
The last time we were all having these discussions, the met police didn't want any more professional sports outfits in London, I'm assuming that still stands.
So it would be something outside of London. Can't imagine many people wanting to rent from Wycombe Wanderers again
In fact would being a tenant be any more sustainable now than it was last time?

New stadiums aren't exactly easy or cheap to come by either.

I have no problem with playing in the championship

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 11, 2022, 08:18:17 AM »
This is fascinating and stomach churning in equal measure. What we don’t know is who the reported other two bidders are given five are quoted and we only know of Armstrong, Ashley, NEC. Armstrong’s bid seems the most favourable and I can’t understand why other clubs would vote to strip us of our P share if a number of them are in a similar position?

Because the fewer there are the more they are worth? At keast in theory.

I suspect that if the Premiership is willing to let 2 teams go to the wall in a month the whole comp will.soon be worth a lot less.
Precisely - it becomes a farce. If the other teams in bother happen to be Falcons and Sale the game could diminish to being a niche occurrence that is invisible outside of the South West.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 11, 2022, 08:25:56 AM »
This is fascinating and stomach churning in equal measure. What we don’t know is who the reported other two bidders are given five are quoted and we only know of Armstrong, Ashley, NEC. Armstrong’s bid seems the most favourable and I can’t understand why other clubs would vote to strip us of our P share if a number of them are in a similar position?

Because the fewer there are the more they are worth? At keast in theory.

I suspect that if the Premiership is willing to let 2 teams go to the wall in a month the whole comp will.soon be worth a lot less.
Precisely - it becomes a farce. If the other teams in bother happen to be Falcons and Sale the game could diminish to being a niche occurrence that is invisible outside of the South West.

Rather like Rugby Leage outside of the M62 corridor...

It's all a bit depressing, isn't it? Starting to feel very real and likely that we may have played the last game at the CBSA. I stand by my earlier assertions that the business plan being based around the use of the stadium and facilities for non-rugby events (such as major concerts - I note Arctic Monkeys are lined up for next year already) *is* a viable plan, and that were it not to have been for Covid then we would not be in this hole. Hoping the RFU invoke the "act of God" clause on this basis, and not because we're "too big to be relegated" (thanks, Lol).

The bid from NEC group supports my view of this business model, I think.

Product on the pitch (result notwithstanding) is brilliant in general - contributing to the excitement of games in the league going to the wire. I know we'd all prefer to be on the winning end of last minute scores, but as a viable product for neutrals / casuals you can't argue it's exciting.

(F**king frustrating for those with vested interests though!).

Hopefully some clarity comes soon, and we can concentrate on preparing for rugby, in whichever competition that may be. Still feel hopeful we won't suffer the awful fate of Worcester, but hope is the last thing to die...

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 11, 2022, 08:30:56 AM »
I was told last week (from the same source who mentioned the MA interest) that it was Falcons and Glaws.

Irish and Tigers also "up for sale" apparently.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 11, 2022, 08:33:30 AM »
I agree Shugs, the whole surely becomes worth less if the others vote to relieve us of the share if "there but for the Grace..etc" is the reality for others.  And it becomes a farce.  The RFU needs to get a grip or else rugby in England is in a very sticky place.

I was certainly guilty of feeling a bit smug regarding the situation in the other countries  (Wales , Ireland, Scotland ) but it seems they had a better grip of reality. Covid aside, it seems like too many ducks needed to line up for it to work. Some basics of gate income vs salaries suggest issues.  And the game perhaps needs a rethink  sooner rather than later?

Laterontoday

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 11, 2022, 08:35:06 AM »
No coincidence then the Fraser Group want to build new headquarters at Anstey. A takeover from Ashley could be a good thing short term, saves the club, gives then breathing space and CCFC get a new owner to hate.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 11, 2022, 08:38:10 AM »
Shugs,

The bid from NEC group supports my view of this business model, I think.

Just a thought, but is their a limit on the number of large events and is a stadium that size viable at that limit without football and rugby clubs using it regularly?

I can't imagine that the council would allow major rock concerts every week if they can be heard 11 miles away, for example.

Product on the pitch (result notwithstanding) is brilliant in general - contributing to the excitement of games in the league going to the wire. I know we'd all prefer to be on the winning end of last minute scores, but as a viable product for neutrals / casuals you can't argue it's exciting.

Yep. Its an emotional roller coaster for us but you can see why BT like our games.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 11, 2022, 08:52:16 AM »
Just seen on Twatter that Chris Foy reckons Ashley is interested in a package that includes CCFC. No doubt that’s got the football crowd wound up.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 11, 2022, 10:25:45 AM »

It's one thing Wasps running a few concerts a year to bring some extra money in.
It's another thing for NEC to be running an exhibition centre and concerts in as many weeks at possible.

It may well be a profitable business if you have constant gigs, but maybe not when you only run a couple per year.

Ultimately, how much do Wasps get for a gig at the stadium. I fear that it's not that much, particularly if using that income to help pay off £35m

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 11, 2022, 10:27:39 AM »

I'm coming around to the idea of Mike Ashley.

Not because I think it'd be good for our long term future... I don't.
I think we'd be the poor relative again, similar to the Steve Hayes days.

However, it feels like the only solution that keeps us going for the next few years, which at the moment feels like the priority

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 11, 2022, 10:36:41 AM »

I'm coming around to the idea of Mike Ashley.

Not because I think it'd be good for our long term future... I don't.
I think we'd be the poor relative again, similar to the Steve Hayes days.

However, it feels like the only solution that keeps us going for the next few years, which at the moment feels like the priority

Kind of what we just said in a discussion a complete return to Steve Hayes Times if it were to be Ashley then Rugby becomes the junior partner again. Also when you consider the pay cap of £5m this is peanuts to Ashley when the NCFC vitriol was over not spending hundreds of millions on one player!

I still think we are gone though helped along by Estate Agents, Cheetahs and other dubious entities.
Let me tell you something cucumber

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 11, 2022, 10:41:38 AM »
Quite frankly I would take anyone's money at the moment!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 11, 2022, 10:53:41 AM »

I think we need to come to terms with where we are as a club, and that is.... On the brink.

The stadium asset is as good as gone. Even if someone like Ashley buys us, the stadium and CCFC, then ultimately at some point down the road we'll be for sale without the stadium.

So, what we're after is survival of some form, if that involves a drop to the championship then so be it - that's not really so terrible.

The NEC purchase of the stadium doesn't seem to offer much in the way of hope of survival.

I'm nervous about the Armstrong bid, but only because I can't recall the circumstances around his leaving the last time

At this point, any bid for Wasps is about the stadium and maybe the football club, we're just along for the ride

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 11, 2022, 10:56:34 AM »
Article on RugbyPass here: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/ex-newcastle-owner-mike-ashley-interested-in-buying-wasps-report/

Final paragraph doesn't read well: “One well-placed source claimed that the club are in danger of running out of money for wages and essential costs this week and that overall they are swamped by a ‘debt pile of £65m’. The source added that the financial crisis has been ‘snowballing and snowballing’, with Wasps continuing to use consultants, despite knowing that they can’t afford to pay for their services.”

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 11, 2022, 11:01:42 AM »
I think as a club we are in trouble.  I genuinely believe that without Covid we may well have created a business sustainable enough to support the rugby club.  But right now I think that we need a vast amount of money to keep just the business afloat.  I also think that without Derek the chances of us losing the club in order to keep the business going are way too high for my liking.

I'm going to nail my colours to the mast here and say that however this pans out I am deeply grateful to him for what he has done over the last few years.  We wouldn't have had a club without him, and if it turns out we don't have a club in the future it changes nothing. I have had a huge amount of joy from my association with him and the club and I wish there was a way it could continue.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here