Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Bath v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.  (Read 4449 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Bath v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.
« on: September 23, 2022, 09:43:07 PM »
The good, the bad and the lucky

Will the monkey off our back finally stop these second forty performances?

Enjoy the win, do not ignore the frailties.

You know what they say, 29 points is a shaky old lead in rugby. They like to keep us on tenterhooks. Once again it is a Jekyll and Hyde performance. 5 point away wins are not to be sniffed at, but we cannot keep doing what we are doing in second halves. Is it tactics? Is it psychological? Is it a combination…..possibly.

Let’s hope though that this is the start of better days, that in 2 weeks we have a club to continue loving and supporting.

Get the beers out boys.

Chris

Once A Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Bath v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 09:47:23 PM »
Bath scored 2 tries, both converted, when Jack was in the bin. I actually thought the card was a little harsh as it seemed to me McNally (was it) lead with his head.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 09:51:14 PM »
Bath scored 2 tries, both converted, when Jack was in the bin. I actually thought the card was a little harsh as it seemed to me McNally (was it) lead with his head.

I agree, but if you enter the tackle area upright and not bending at the hip you run the risk. Personally felt it was more a rugby incident as Jack was passive, but that’s the current interpretation.

hopwood

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 09:52:36 PM »

+1

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 09:56:50 PM »
We got Put of our stride by far too many unnecessary changes. We just spiral out of control and give so many penalties away.

A week off then 3 very hard games, which are going to be difficult to get a win, especially if we are so generous with penalties.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 09:57:07 PM »
I don't think Bath would have got even close to touching distance if Jack had not been binned.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 10:07:12 PM »
I don't think Bath would have got even close to touching distance if Jack had not been binned.

Nah, there was a momentum swing before Willis went off. It was part of it.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 10:16:03 PM »
I'll give credit to the lads. They played well for 40-50 mins, especially considering everything going on off the pitch. I was proud to support this team, irrespective of my frustrations.

That said, we really do collapse quite easily. Really bizarre, it was something Gloucester struggled with for years. Looks like we've caught the bug now.

Umaga was better for distribution, but then again was he just doing what Atkinson has been doing prior? His lack of pace compared to Crossdale cost us a try, and he still doesn't feel like an actual fullback.

Tom and Jack were fantastic (aside from Jack's Yellow, Tom could've also got a yellow for a similar incident).

Odendaal's offload to Porter was outrageous filth, genuinely thought it was intercepted.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 10:19:52 PM »
Let’s be honest - the first half was sublime. Attack looked transformed as things stuck. Umaga added craft and the centres look like gelling. Bassett dangerous again. Willis and Willis immense as was Carr, West and Alo. Second half I’d liked to have seen West, Alo and Porter go a bit longer. But our defence was solid in that last 10. Kibirige looks a lost soul who really needs to come out of the matchday 23. Final mention to Tom Willis - back at 8 and was just fantastic as part of a much better balanced back row. 5 points away - good stuff.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2022, 10:27:46 PM »
The problem with being a Wasps fan is that when we're 29 points up I can't help but think "we'll get a losing bonus point as long as we don't concede more than 36 points now".

I thought Umaga at 15 added so much as a second playmaker. As good as Odendaal is, we missed that influence in the first two matches.

I'd spent much of the day telling a friend who is a Bath fan how we'd lose with Porter at 9 and Spink at 13, but Spink had a great game and Dobby showed when he came on why he isn't starting.

Class comments from Johann van Graan wishing us well. I can think of at least one South African Coach who could do with a lesson from him on being classy in defeat.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2022, 10:28:15 PM »
Jacob was passing really well tonight and kicked well but wow he is not comfortable under the high ball, difficult to hold onto a fall back position if you struggle under the high ball.

Good on him for the rest of his game from a long layoff

MarleyWasp

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 10:36:46 PM »
Atkinson seems pretty sturdy. Maybe we should be defending with Charlie at 15?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2022, 10:44:48 PM »
My takeaway from that game is that Bath aren't as good as Glaws. Yet again we should have had it in the bag and yet again we capitulated. Thankfully for us Bath didn't have the ruthlessness to take it.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2022, 10:52:58 PM »
That really was game of two half’s. Can’t be any debate now over who would play at 8, Jack looks like he’s getting back to his best, Nemo you could be forgiven for forgetting just how good he is. I’ve been Jacobs biggest critic in here but I thought he played well tonight, still rubbish under the high balls and other teams will target that, still think he’s 3rd choice fullback. At the minute it’s Porter over Robson for me. Spink growing with every game, Basset looking dangerous again. 5 points and lots of positives, I actually thought it took a lot of balls to hang on and win tonight, don’t get me wrong it should never have been even close but when Bath got on a roll it could have been so easy to collapse and lose. Biggest positive for me was the fact the backs looked dangerous again.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2022, 10:55:21 PM »
Agree Bath are worse than Glaws but I’d also say we showed more grit and smarts in the last 10 and I’d also add that our attacking was better than against Glaws. The reality is we have to stop this capitulation business becoming a “thing”. Hopefully tonight goes a small way towards that. Two other points - set piece was solid and some of Atkinson’s kicking from hand was excellent.