Always a Wasp

Author Topic: LBND in the Times this morning  (Read 6452 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: LBND in the Times this morning
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2022, 05:37:44 PM »
Sobering thought in all of this, is Gloucester have said they will lose £350k of income due to Worcs game cancellation. This means they need 15 meaningful home games each season just to cover players salaries if spending to cap. This of course doesn’t cover any other operating costs, which hopefully would be covered by prl/tv money.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2022, 05:00:15 PM »

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2022, 06:55:00 PM »
Rugby leagues proposals

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/63063549

Will be interesting how that pans out in reality. Don’t follow it to know which clubs in super league are deemed better than others to be  too big for relegation/ B division.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2022, 09:18:45 AM »
"Too big to be relegated" just sounds wrong to me. If you're not winning enough games it shouldn't matter how many titles you've won or how much money you've got, you should go down.
If sport stops being about sporting achievement & becomes just business, its the death of sport, IMO

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2022, 09:32:57 AM »
Completely agree Baldpaul.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2022, 10:14:36 AM »
"Too big to be relegated" just sounds wrong to me. If you're not winning enough games it shouldn't matter how many titles you've won or how much money you've got, you should go down.
If sport stops being about sporting achievement & becomes just business, its the death of sport, IMO

People said that about Quins and Northampton, but both failed to haul themselves off the bottom and down they went.  Both have since come back and won Premiership titles.  Wasps survived by the skin of their teeth in 2012, despite 4 English and 2 European titles in the previous 10 years.  But for a reprieve from relegation due to COVID, both Leicester and Bath could have suffered the same fate more recently.  No one is "too big to be relegated".  Not even Sarries.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2022, 10:15:53 AM »
Plus 1.   'Animal Farm' ....  'Everyone is equal but some are more equal than others.'

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2022, 10:18:07 AM »
The 'Plus 1'  is in agreement with Baldpaul.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2022, 10:40:03 AM »
Rugby leagues proposals

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/63063549

Will be interesting how that pans out in reality. Don’t follow it to know which clubs in super league are deemed better than others to be  too big for relegation/ B division.

Sounds like the football Euro super league or whatever. A club of the haves versus the have nots.

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2022, 12:28:59 PM »
I wonder how the Governments handling of the economy will affect  finding investors, on the one hand borrowing has become more difficult on the other the weak pound makes a foreign investors go a lot further.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2022, 04:06:16 PM »
I wonder how the Governments handling of the economy will affect  finding investors, on the one hand borrowing has become more difficult on the other the weak pound makes a foreign investors go a lot further.
Govt gilts made our bond look positively risk free at one point yesterday - until the Bank of England bought them all!

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2022, 04:48:52 PM »

Yes agree ….. so my hope would be for a US sports billionaire to get involved 🤞

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2022, 06:34:53 PM »

Yes agree ….. so my hope would be for a US sports billionaire to get involved 🤞

As long as they do don't do it like the Glazer's have with Manchester United, by putting all the debt on the Club.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2022, 11:25:53 AM »
Not from Wasps, but from someone in a position to have some knowledge (sorry for being vague, it is deliberately so).

What he's hearing is that Wuss (as we already know) are in big trouble, but there's no real concern about Wasps at the moment. Feeling is Wasps will get through this without issue. Also suggested that as Wasps voluntarily started the administration process, that may effect the potential of being relegated too (as in, it won't effect them). Hopefully it doesn't get that far anyway.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2022, 12:03:12 PM »
Not from Wasps, but from someone in a position to have some knowledge (sorry for being vague, it is deliberately so).

What he's hearing is that Wuss (as we already know) are in big trouble, but there's no real concern about Wasps at the moment. Feeling is Wasps will get through this without issue. Also suggested that as Wasps voluntarily started the administration process, that may effect the potential of being relegated too (as in, it won't effect them). Hopefully it doesn't get that far anyway.

It's a shame you have to be vague about the identity of your source, but fully understand your reasons for being so.

Hopefully this is accurate and we can all soon relax a little. Out with my mates last Saturday, several casual chief's supporters and one hardcore Quins supporter among them, they were all curious to know who I'd support if Wasps did perish, I honestly don't know if I could just shift allegiance like that, it really would leave a hole, of sorts, in my life