Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Missed opportunity  (Read 2873 times)

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Missed opportunity
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2022, 11:05:11 AM »
I appreciate that the club will have voted for a closed shop but I remember many Wasps fans (amongst many other fans of different clubs) disagreeing with removing relegation.

But the club did vote for it-and so whatever we as fans may have thought, the club put itself in this position. Supporting this when losing £10 million a year with a looming bond repayment deadline just seems like gross mismanagement.

I'd suggest that those annoyed at third parties ought to look at the executives in our own club.

Yes, the club could have done far better but that doesn't mean the anger directed towards third parties is unwarranted. You're telling me that the response would be the same if Tigers were in this position? Absolutely not, PRL and the RFU would bend over backwards to make sure they survived.

Could Wasps management have done better? Yes. Are fans wrong to be angry at third parties? No.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2022, 11:11:56 AM »
I appreciate that the club will have voted for a closed shop but I remember many Wasps fans (amongst many other fans of different clubs) disagreeing with removing relegation.

But the club did vote for it-and so whatever we as fans may have thought, the club put itself in this position. Supporting this when losing £10 million a year with a looming bond repayment deadline just seems like gross mismanagement.

I'd suggest that those annoyed at third parties ought to look at the executives in our own club.

Yes, the club could have done far better but that doesn't mean the anger directed towards third parties is unwarranted. You're telling me that the response would be the same if Tigers were in this position? Absolutely not, PRL and the RFU would bend over backwards to make sure they survived.

Could Wasps management have done better? Yes. Are fans wrong to be angry at third parties? No.

+1

How ever much they might have failed at least our management took a risk and tried something. The PRL & RFU have completely washed their hands of us and made no effort, to the extent it feels like they are happy to see the back of us.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 11:14:13 AM by Andywasp50 »

The Falcon

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2022, 11:13:09 AM »

What could the PRL/RFU do to help us here? We owe an enormous amount of money to a lot of entities and we don't have it. It was said above, rightly, that we don't want the RFU interfering with the business affairs of the different clubs.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2022, 11:15:23 AM »

What could the PRL/RFU do to help us here? We owe an enormous amount of money to a lot of entities and we don't have it. It was said above, rightly, that we don't want the RFU interfering with the business affairs of the different clubs.

Allowed us to keep the P share and then Armstrong's buy out would have succeeded.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2022, 11:17:06 AM »

Allowed us to keep the P share and then Armstrong's buy out would have succeeded.

This exactly

The Falcon

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2022, 11:17:44 AM »

Why should we have had that luxury but not Wuss?

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2022, 11:21:40 AM »
I don't think anyone is saying Wuss shouldn't be afforded the same, but this is a Wasps board, so I guess, strangely, people are focussing on what the PRL / RFU can do to help us. 

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2022, 11:25:17 AM »
I think there's a lot of anger and frustration being directed at the RFU and PRL and probably unfairly (IMO).

Our plan hasn't worked out; some would suggest it was incompetence others believe it was a good plan that hasn't worked out.  Almost all of the naysayers reckon a better plan was a sugar daddy + rent a stadium in London.  Hardly a grand masterplan, zero long-term potential of sustainability.

Irish bleed cash, Saracens have had their debt wiped by a generous previous owner and have had a fresh-start and now operating a model that is a smaller scale of ours; multiple income streams.  Quins are based in the beating heart of UK Rugby Union, regularly sell-out the stadium they own and play entertaining rugby but still don't consistently make a profit or break even.

There has been little discussion from fans around how Professional Rugby should be run in the past 5+ years, so to blame PRL now seems harsh - Even if, with hindsight, they should have done something about this sooner and perhaps COVID should have been the catalyst to accelerate change beyond just reducing the salary cap.

It's fair to suggest that should PRL effectively allow us to shed our debt, keep our P-Share and bounce back up, it would be unfair on the other teams.  I totally accept that it feels to non-Saracens fans that they were treated generously.  But they haven't really had a material effect on our issues (salary inflation aside, but as per the Walder in The Telegraph thread, that's not a big figure in the grand scheme of things).

The Falcon

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2022, 11:28:39 AM »
I don't think anyone is saying Wuss shouldn't be afforded the same, but this is a Wasps board, so I guess, strangely, people are focussing on what the PRL / RFU can do to help us.

Of course, but my point is another club had already had its P share removed. To then allow another to keep it despite clearly being insolvent just wasn't an option.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2022, 11:29:35 AM »
Every thread negative comments
Let me tell you something cucumber

The Falcon

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2022, 11:29:46 AM »
I think there's a lot of anger and frustration being directed at the RFU and PRL and probably unfairly (IMO).

Our plan hasn't worked out; some would suggest it was incompetence others believe it was a good plan that hasn't worked out.  Almost all of the naysayers reckon a better plan was a sugar daddy + rent a stadium in London.  Hardly a grand masterplan, zero long-term potential of sustainability.

Irish bleed cash, Saracens have had their debt wiped by a generous previous owner and have had a fresh-start and now operating a model that is a smaller scale of ours; multiple income streams.  Quins are based in the beating heart of UK Rugby Union, regularly sell-out the stadium they own and play entertaining rugby but still don't consistently make a profit or break even.

There has been little discussion from fans around how Professional Rugby should be run in the past 5+ years, so to blame PRL now seems harsh - Even if, with hindsight, they should have done something about this sooner and perhaps COVID should have been the catalyst to accelerate change beyond just reducing the salary cap.

It's fair to suggest that should PRL effectively allow us to shed our debt, keep our P-Share and bounce back up, it would be unfair on the other teams.  I totally accept that it feels to non-Saracens fans that they were treated generously.  But they haven't really had a material effect on our issues (salary inflation aside, but as per the Walder in The Telegraph thread, that's not a big figure in the grand scheme of things).

+1

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2022, 11:32:06 AM »
Indeed.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

The Falcon

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2022, 11:39:03 AM »

I'd rather be looking forward to the Sharks game tomorrow but it's been cancelled because the club's existence is in question. A bit hard to stay positive under the circumstances.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2022, 11:43:19 AM »

Of course, but my point is another club had already had its P share removed. To then allow another to keep it despite clearly being insolvent just wasn't an option.

Maybe it's just a bit much to expect people to say '..and Wuss have their share returned' each time our P share is mentioned.  I think you are wilfully looking for negatives.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2022, 11:57:21 AM »

Why should we have had that luxury but not Wuss?
Because even with the P share Worcester were insolvent, nobody was saying they could rescue them is allowed to keep it, and so they were basically thrown out of the league.

If we were allowed to keep it and just get a 35pt deduction there a good chance we could fulfil this season's fixtures and saved the club and what is looking like the makings a very successful squad.