Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Playing and coaching staff rumours  (Read 8892 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Playing and coaching staff rumours
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2022, 12:59:39 PM »
Wasn't this a thread about who Wasps might attract in various roles and positions? Rather than yet another Engerland witterfest.
"Witterfest" Ta. Just complementing our ex-players ok?

Yes our EX players so we won't see them in a black and gold shirt again in Solihull.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2022, 01:02:00 PM »
Wasn't this a thread about who Wasps might attract in various roles and positions? Rather than yet another Engerland witterfest.

You must be new here! Every thread usually turns into England, RFU or Saracens hate.

Yes new here so didn't realise it was mandatory for each thread to slide into other rugby domains.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2022, 01:20:58 PM »
Searle released by Bath. Could be on the lookout. Interesting in the administrators report it says Holland wanted a quick purchase in order to get on with sorting contracts etc before other clubs came in. Of course it may have been a ruse to get the sale through. But read like good intentions. It’s going to be a fascinating rebuild.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2022, 01:40:30 PM »

You must be new here! Every thread usually turns into England, RFU or Saracens hate.

Yes new here so didn't realise it was mandatory for each thread to slide into other rugby domains.

Was just my poor attempt at sarcasm, just pointing out this happens a lot here.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2022, 02:46:24 PM »
Another thing to consider is how angry most of the players sound when interviewed about how the club went under & how they were not told what was going on.
I know this would be a new club with new owners but you wonder how much suspicion they would have about Chris Holland given he was part of the previous management structure for a while?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2022, 02:48:30 PM »
Another thing to consider is how angry most of the players sound when interviewed about how the club went under & how they were not told what was going on.
I know this would be a new club with new owners but you wonder how much suspicion they would have about Chris Holland given he was part of the previous management structure for a while?

Agree with that last sentence.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2022, 02:53:38 PM »

Was just my poor attempt at sarcasm, just pointing out this happens a lot here.
I've often thought there should be a particular font, which when used, indicates sarcasm.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2022, 04:14:12 PM »
It's funny how with all the changes at every level of Wasps over the last month or two the one thing that hasn't changed is the lack of information coming from the "club" to the fan base.

The new powers that be might be happy they can assemble a squad before the players all go off to other places, but I think they massively underestimate how disheartened the vast majority of the fanbase is, and being given no information at all about what is going on is only going to make people lose interest.

How they expect fans who had, in the main, given up on ever seeing their club play again stay committed when the only news we ever see is yet more of our former players signing for other clubs I have no idea.

If anyone from the new club is actually reading this, please start treating the fans as an important resource, stop assuming they will always be there, start talking to them, or you may find they aren't there any more when you want them.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2022, 04:22:57 PM »
It's funny how with all the changes at every level of Wasps over the last month or two the one thing that hasn't changed is the lack of information coming from the "club" to the fan base.

The new powers that be might be happy they can assemble a squad before the players all go off to other places, but I think they massively underestimate how disheartened the vast majority of the fanbase is, and being given no information at all about what is going on is only going to make people lose interest.

How they expect fans who had, in the main, given up on ever seeing their club play again stay committed when the only news we ever see is yet more of our former players signing for other clubs I have no idea.

If anyone from the new club is actually reading this, please start treating the fans as an important resource, stop assuming they will always be there, start talking to them, or you may find they aren't there any more when you want them.

+1

I'd also like to add, when something is said, please tell us the truth - even if the truth is difficult to listen to. The hardest part of this whole debacle is that all official club correspondence was saying that everything is/will be OK and there's nothing to worry about.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2022, 04:59:19 PM »
I get the frustration but I'd give them a little while longer to get the ducks firmly in a row. They are probably still working on the RFU's requirements.  Let's face it only the telegraph has done an article about Solihull so far.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2022, 05:19:56 PM »
Indeed. Something positive with more substance would be very welcome, just before Xmas.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2022, 05:58:04 PM »

This might address that somewhat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64050985

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2022, 06:07:08 PM »
Sounded an honest assessment of where they are - right at the beginning!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2022, 06:33:01 PM »
Step 1. Permission to play from the RFU, subject to approval of plans. Tick.
Step 2. Funding to clear Rugby debts and fund plan B (amateur club). Must be done in the next few days.
Step 3. Sort a ground out short term. He said in weeks. I know that could be as loose as 100 weeks, but I have always take 'within weeks' to mean less than a month and more then two weeks. So, in early January 2023. If we do not hear about the ground by then, we will know things are not going well.
Step 4. Final decision on more generous funding, to allow a final choice between amateur, pro-am, or fully pro.
Step 5. RFU full approval.
Step 6. Recruit coaching staff to suit.
Step 7. Start recruiting a squad.

If it all went well, with Steps 2-4 & 6 happening simultaneously (which is a LOT of work for just a couple of guys), I can't see us at Step 7 till the end of February at best. Meaning Step 7 is going to be very hard work.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2022, 06:45:44 PM »

This might address that somewhat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64050985

It's a reasonable statement, but my issue is unchanged. The idea that in the modern age a club with no squad and no home ground can talk to a BBC journalist and think that's enough if ridiculous.

Rugby's audience is as old, if not older than any other sport. If we want any sort of sustainability with a fan base we have to attract younger people. That means social media. And if we want to retain the fans Wasps had/have then the club needs to actually talk to them. Not release a statement through the BBC and assume we're all just sitting here waiting for the few crumbs that they allow to fall from the table.

It's not complicated, it just means frequent, open, honest communication.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here