Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Players about to appear on the market  (Read 5604 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Players about to appear on the market
« on: March 05, 2019, 10:43:16 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/mar/04/ospreys-scarlets-merge-welsh-rugby-union

Interesting decision but WRU have forewarned players from both Ospreys and Scarlets to start making arrangments to find work elsewhere.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Players about to appear on the market
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 11:10:29 AM »
If only we had a well regarded Welsh DOR...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 11:33:10 AM »
The Welsh RFU will insist those not wanted by the merged regions will have to play in North Wales or never be considered for the National side.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 05:20:34 PM »
This whole deal is arsewipe.
Scarlets and Ospreys are far more successful than the Dragons, who have a history of under achievement- whipping boys in a pretty sub standard stadium. The rationale is ostensibly to have a gogledd rugby region, splitting the country into the points of the compass. The only issue is the East and South, as represented by Dragons and Blues, are, in fact both East by any definition of Geography.  Scarlets technically have a massive area out west to Pembroke and beyond that is theirs (IIRC they actually have responsibility for the north too at some stages), whilst the Ospreys have the highly populated county of Swansea right up to Bridgend, where I am pretty sure the Ospreys have played matches in the old Anglo-Welsh. So in the end, as it stands, it will be N/SE/SE/W, as Cardiff and Newport are practically identical in terms of geography. If they really want N/S/E/W then Ospreys, representing from Bridgend  to Swansea, are a far better representation of South, and Cardiff a representation of East.

The only Pro 14 matches that get good crowds are the derby matches around Christmas and Judgement Day double headers, making this move utter, utter madness.
As for players being told they will move, it won't happen, North is just a different country, and attempts to make union thrive there are as likely to succeed as attempts to turn the north of England away from league.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 06:24:44 PM »
This whole deal is arsewipe.
Scarlets and Ospreys are far more successful than the Dragons, who have a history of under achievement- whipping boys in a pretty sub standard stadium. The rationale is ostensibly to have a gogledd rugby region, splitting the country into the points of the compass. The only issue is the East and South, as represented by Dragons and Blues, are, in fact both East by any definition of Geography.  Scarlets technically have a massive area out west to Pembroke and beyond that is theirs (IIRC they actually have responsibility for the north too at some stages), whilst the Ospreys have the highly populated county of Swansea right up to Bridgend, where I am pretty sure the Ospreys have played matches in the old Anglo-Welsh. So in the end, as it stands, it will be N/SE/SE/W, as Cardiff and Newport are practically identical in terms of geography. If they really want N/S/E/W then Ospreys, representing from Bridgend  to Swansea, are a far better representation of South, and Cardiff a representation of East.

The only Pro 14 matches that get good crowds are the derby matches around Christmas and Judgement Day double headers, making this move utter, utter madness.
As for players being told they will move, it won't happen, North is just a different country, and attempts to make union thrive there are as likely to succeed as attempts to turn the north of England away from league.

I presume the new region can try and sign who ever they want but does that depend on who the newly formed team (Scarlets and Ospreys) want to keep.

Sounds very messy.. I wonder how many will simply pack their bags and look for contracts in the EPL

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 06:38:22 PM »
Ospreys have just put out a damning statement. Worth reading if interested in Welsh Rugby.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Doctorkmt

• Wasps Rugby Fan, part time troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 08:25:47 PM »
I'm no expert in welsh rugby, but I have read since the announcement that the wru own and run dragons so they'll be left alone to save face. Is that right?
The north of Wales is an absolute ballache to travel to. I think a lot of players will jump ship to the prem, Ireland or scotland.

Scarspreys, dragons, blues and the north.

Maybe the leftover oslets should join the super 14.... A reverse of the cheetahs/kings
@doctorkmt

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 11:17:49 PM »
I'm no expert in welsh rugby, but I have read since the announcement that the wru own and run dragons so they'll be left alone to save face. Is that right?

Yes, WRU won't touch the actually pathetic region, because they own it.

Stang

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 06:39:45 AM »
All of those affected have my sympathy on this one. Seems like they're all getting the shi$$y end of the stick with this one.

Any players that we would actually want though? Is there another TY or Andy Powell out there?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 08:12:11 AM »
There are a fair few.
Coaches too I guess. Some of the Scarlets coaches will be heading to the Welsh set up, most likely.
You are talking two fully functioning regions turned into one.

And as for the fans watching, effectively you are asking Swansea to Bridgend fans to travel over the Loughor to Parc Y Scarlets, about twenty to thirty mins from central Swansea depending on traffic, fifty from Bridgend.

If it is in Swansea and they play in anything other than red, the Scarlets fans will stay away.
If it is in Llanelli, the Bridgend to Swansea fans won't go.
Meanwhile the derby clash, where 4k supporters turn into 20, won't happen.

Doctorkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 08:20:54 AM »

Any players that we would actually want though?

Beard, north, tipuric, lydiate, Sam Davies

Owens, parkes, patchell, Jon Davies

Any of those
@doctorkmt

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 09:01:36 AM »

Any of those

Initially I thought you were jesting because these wouldn't move because of the WRU selection criteria but if this region shake up takes place next season then that means it coincides with the WC and some of these players might like to move on to pastures new (given the Scarlets/Ospreys merger some may feel someone let down and disgruntled) for 2 or 3 yr contracts elsewhere having reached a career highlight of playing for Wales at the WC.

Have WRU shot themselves in both feet?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 09:48:37 AM »

Any of those

Only Jon Davies for me.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 12:38:13 PM »
Lets just use this as a reason to keep Young Young after next season.

Doctorkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 01:39:44 PM »
They've changed their minds. Pathetic management and comms. Haha
@doctorkmt