Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Bicycle route from Coventry Rail Station to the Ricoh.  (Read 2769 times)

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
Bicycle route from Coventry Rail Station to the Ricoh.
« on: March 22, 2019, 11:36:01 PM »
Have renewed the season ticket but am considering letting the car parking go and travelling to Cov by train next season.
I have an idea to cycle to and from the ground; on the map it looks a pleasant level route, much of it along a canal towpath.
Anyone with local knowledge that can comment?

Robert.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Bicycle route from Coventry Rail Station to the Ricoh.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 06:44:15 AM »
Probably call it a functional route rather a particularly pleasant one but does allow you to slightly extend your route on occasions to take in the excellent Greyhound inn at Sutton Stop, probably about 5 minutes extra pedalling.

TheTameWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 08:04:15 AM »
Have renewed the season ticket but am considering letting the car parking go and travelling to Cov by train next season.
I have an idea to cycle to and from the ground; on the map it looks a pleasant level route, much of it along a canal towpath.

Robert.

I've walked the entire route from the Coventry Basin to Hawkesbury Junction.

There used to be a lot of art works along it, part of the coventry canal art trail, sadly a lot of them now vandalised.

http://www.coventry.gov.uk/info/116/coventry_canal/341/coventry_canal/2

I think the previous posters description as a functional route rather than pleasant is accurate.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 08:11:10 AM »
It took me a while to process this:

it looks a pleasant level route

... and then try to figure what jarred in my brain. Then it came to me. This is Coventry we are talking about, and of what lies between the main railway station and the Ricoh, I have little positive to say. Huge sums of money have been spent trying to 'improve' the area, but it is still much as it was. Rough, at best.

If was going cycling (no chance), I would neither start at the station, nor end up at the Ricoh, and I would not be anywhere in between. That canal can get very dark in places after sun down.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 08:56:59 AM »

Robert.

As NWW says.. I'm trying to compute the route.. knowing what's in the way.

I can't think of a safe way.. but.. from the station if you cycle through the city centre (I'm not sure bikes are allowed on the ring road.. I've never seen one .. probably for a good reason) and head towards the canal basin there's a newish commercial development called Electric Wharf where you can pick up the canal. Apparently that's where coal barges stopped to fuel the small power station.

The development has security gates but allows pedestrians to access it to get to the canal. Where the canal goes from there I'm not sure.. it probably folllows the Fosehill Road towards the Ricoh.

There is a shuttle bus that runs from the station though.. which would be my recommendation

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 10:32:04 AM »
Good morning and thank you one and all.

NWW, I normally cycle the towpath of the Kennet and Avon, I guess from your comments it is not like that. Anyway your answer made me really chuckle on a day when I think their will be little to chuckle about. I fear for our team at Gloucester today.

Anyway I will get a day return in the summer and try the “functional” route out, making sure to finish before sundown! If that fails as is rightly said there is always bus/taxi.

Robert.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 11:41:31 AM »
hehe

Well, if you must (Google Maps is not ideal, but you can see where bikes can go on the satellite view) ...

Head East from the station along Stoney Road to and thru the part of Coventry Uni along Puma Way, up Gulson Road (you have to get across the Sky Blue Way), through the park and cross over the road at the other side of the park and go up King Richard Street and keep going pretty much North till Swan Lane, where you can pick up the canal. You will be on the east side towpath (the canal on your left).

At Longford Road bridge you can either come off the towpath, up to the bridge, cross over and to the left, and through the back entrance/feeder road to the Tesco car park. At the other end is a set of steps with alternate long ramp where you can go under the railway line and in to the Ricoh near the East/South stand, or you can stay on the towpath and go past the Ricoh (on your left) and come off where there are footbridges over both the canal and railway line and into Car Park B of the Ricoh. Plenty of places to chain your bike.

It will likely take about the same time as the bus (about 25 minutes).

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 12:36:27 PM »
Good morning and thank you one and all.

NWW, I normally cycle the towpath of the Kennet and Avon, I guess from your comments it is not like that. Anyway your answer made me really chuckle on a day when I think their will be little to chuckle about. I fear for our team at Gloucester today.

Anyway I will get a day return in the summer and try the “functional” route out, making sure to finish before sundown! If that fails as is rightly said there is always bus/taxi.

Robert.

Make sure you take the slight detour to the Greyhound at Sutton Stop, that will make it pleasant!

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 12:57:34 PM »
That's quite a detour. Not so much a detour as an overshoot (3 mile round trip from where you would leave the canal and back).

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 01:39:41 PM »
That's quite a detour. Not so much a detour as an overshoot (3 mile round trip from where you would leave the canal and back).

Well worth it though, great food and drink!

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 04:23:08 PM »
Thanks chaps - I’ll bear it in mind.  ;)