Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Israel Folau Sacked  (Read 7830 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Israel Folau Sacked
« on: April 11, 2019, 11:34:00 AM »
Folau has been sacked by NSW Waratahs and Rugby Australia following his latest bigoted outburst and then blanking or refusing to engage with the authorities. Rugby Australia demonstrating clear leadership and should be applauded, it is after all 2019.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/11/israel-folau-to-be-sacked-by-rugby-australia-over-social-media-posts

Where next for him is going to be really challenging, as he is to an extent 'damaged goods' and acquiring his services will cause major concerns for anyone associated with that club or union, in either code.

It was fine when I left it.....

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Israel Folau Sacked
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 12:12:13 PM »
So he has actually been sacked now. The BBC rugby union page says that Rugby Australia "intend" to sack him.
I am an advocate of people having their own beliefs - so if he disagrees with homosexuality, then fine. I don't hold the same belief as him and that's fine too.
However, that does not mean you go out into the public forum shouting your beliefs and you most certainly do not judge those people who you disagree with, which is precisely what Israel has done.
He has shown disregard to his influence as a public figure and should duly pay the price. It's OK to say you don't agree with homosexuality (not everyone does) but you don't go and say that gay people will burn in hell or treat them differently to heterosexual people just because they are gay.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 12:25:52 PM »
I'm glad you picked that hot potato up James.

Everyone should have their own beliefs but to castigate someone  else (or a group) for having opposing beliefs doesn't sit well with me

Johnathan Edwards, the triple jumper, had strict beliefs that meant that he wouldn't compete on Sundays.

Fair play to him.. until he realised he was missing out on a lot of medals

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 12:49:27 PM »
Personal beliefs are no longer personal when you tweet them. I am sure there are plenty who share his belief in many sports, cricket for sure, and others, but they sign up to an internationally secular game, and simply have to not go out of their way to promote their beliefs....

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 01:09:23 PM »
He signed a 4 year contract with his Super Rugby team recently. Assume he can still play for them even if Australia don’t want him any more.
His rant, that’s the right word, was well over the top. Not just gays but liars and other groups who offend his religious prejudices. I assume he knows nothing of the religious approaches regarding compassion and forgiveness.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 02:02:26 PM »
Really pleased to see this action from Rugby Australia, there is no place for these outspoken biggotted views in the sport. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and opinions, but as soon as you start preaching it in such damning fashion, it ceases to be acceptable.

This is proof Rugby is head and shoulders above other sports in terms of punishment for players when required. For so long football has overlooked such actions (Lee Bowyer at Leeds being a prime example).

I do wonder what his next move is... Similar to Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding, they are fine players but clubs will be reluctant to associate.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 02:21:38 PM »
He signed a 4 year contract with his Super Rugby team recently. Assume he can still play for them even if Australia don’t want him any more.
His rant, that’s the right word, was well over the top. Not just gays but liars and other groups who offend his religious prejudices. I assume he knows nothing of the religious approaches regarding compassion and forgiveness.
I think his NSW Waratahs agreement and Australian Rugby agreement are tied. So he will effectively lose both gigs. He was mooted to be going to NRL but they have already said he will not be accommodated. He could easily become a forgotten man, which to my mind is the best outcome for all, as he clearly doesn't want to change his outward perspective on what he considers wrong, regardless of how intolerant it is towards others.
It was fine when I left it.....

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 02:41:05 PM »
End up in France surely...a country that is far less tolerant than many.

As a team member its also tough, if like Pocock you are an advocate for everything this guy despises.

I'm still unclear why he finds the need to distribute his 'Feelings' on these matter, believe in them by all means but broadcast them in 2019..agents nightmare.

Whats interesting is the cross over to him the player, who'd be willing to have him in their team...It's similar-ish to the Paddy Jackson debate, but for me personally, i'd forgive this guys ridiculous views over the actions of Jackson.
Would I have him in a Wasps shirt...probably..I don't care what he thinks, that his prerogative, he just needs to keep it buttoned.

Others thoughts...?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 02:45:20 PM by Hymenoptera »

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 05:20:32 PM »
Am I right in thinking that Paddy Jackson has been signed by London Irish?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 05:57:29 PM »
Strongly rumoured I think - not sure they have announced it yet.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 06:49:14 PM »
Classic case of Time Heals.

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 07:12:04 PM »
... Others thoughts...?

I'd take a contrite and apologetic sinner, over a bigoted and unrepentant homophobe.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 07:29:31 PM »
... Others thoughts...?

I'd take a contrite and apologetic sinner, over a bigoted and unrepentant homophobe.

Interesting..I take the stance that views annoy many but hurt very few, where as...

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 07:55:59 PM »
... Others thoughts...?

Interesting..I take the stance that views annoy many but hurt very few, where as...

His high profile views could easily drive young and confused children to self harm.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 08:35:52 PM »
For sure im not condoning it, just interested in others take.

I'm not sure that many take these things that seriously?, if anything it makes them more forthright in their beliefs so he's doing himself an injustice but I'm not playing down your views...