Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The run in.  (Read 19462 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The run in.
« on: September 01, 2020, 03:55:18 PM »
So... just a guess

Sale 50 vs
Tigers 4
Sarries 4
Bath 4
Saints 4
Wuss 4

Bristol 48 vs
Wuss 4
Saints 4
Wasps 4
Tigers 4
Irish 4

Wasps 47 vs
Sarries 0
Tigers 4
Bristol 0
Quins 4
Chiefs 0

Bath 45 vs
Quins 0
Wuss 4
Sharks 0
Glaws 0
Sarries 0

Saints 40 vs
Chiefs 0
Bears 0
Tigers 4
Sharks 0
Glaws 4

Quins 37 vs
Bath 4
Irish 4
Glaws 4
Wasps 0
Tigers 4

Glaws 36 vs
Irish 4
Chiefs 0
Quins 0
Bath 4
Saints 0

Not bothering with BPs at the moment. Some wins are likely 5 pointers, and of course things can change. I've been pessimistic with our results.

Chiefs - Lots
Sale - 70
Bristol - 68
Wasps - 55
Quins - 52
Bath - 49
Saints - 48
Glaws - 44

That has us just sneaking into 4th place.

What it also does is really emphasises the necessity to beat Quins. A win against Tigers is important. A win against Bristol would be huge, especially if they slip up elsewhere, it could even lead to us jumping them. The victory against Bath was also hugely important, I've been very negative about their chances, but there's every chance they get more wins, and can still potentially get past us.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: The run in.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 04:04:56 PM »
Given the need for rotation calling some of these is a lottery. Bristol for example, their 2nd team is somewhat weaker than their starting 15, as is Quins..
Will come down to who meets who. I'd be surprised to see Quins in top 4 either way.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 04:23:26 PM »
Given the need for rotation calling some of these is a lottery. Bristol for example, their 2nd team is somewhat weaker than their starting 15, as is Quins..
Will come down to who meets who. I'd be surprised to see Quins in top 4 either way.

I think that's the key in this little mini-season we're in at the moment.  We are seeing which sides have the depth of resources to remain reasonably competitive with a second string.  Bristol seem to go very well with their 1st choice 23, but the back up is a bigger drop off than others (Sarries and Exeter inevitably spring to mind).  Sale do not seem to have rotated as much as others and Diamond has made a few dismissive comments regarding the need for the Professional Game Board to be telling him who he can and can't pick, an approach which may still come home to roost as the fixtures continue to come thick and fast.  Most DoRs are being pretty pragmatic and sensible in their approach and there is an element of luck of the draw as to whether or not your opponents put out a full strength squad.  With a few exceptions, predicting games before seeing the team sheets is next to impossible.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 04:30:02 PM »
With reported squad of 33 i expected Sale to struggle a bit more than they have. I know they lost their first 2 but that was down to a slow start more than squad rotation.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 04:36:27 PM »
I think we'll beat Tigers, Quins and Bristol and the top 4 will read

Exeter
Sale
Wasps
Bath

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 05:51:01 PM »
I agree about Bristol. Especially if they beat Wuss and Saints, then they rest players against us and finish with Tiggers and Irish

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 08:07:36 PM »
The burning question is do we really want to qualify for the playoffs? It's not that I want us to miss out but the squad will have been through a pretty tough period of 9 matches.

The international window follows and who knows how many that Eddie might try to break. The new season starts before that window finishes.

I would rather see our guys get as much R&R as they can and hit the ground running when next season kicks off.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 09:06:02 PM by Heathen »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 08:17:43 PM »
I've had the same thoughts but I think I want to get top 4. You never know once your there and the squad & backroom deserve it after a tough year. Plus it gives valuable big game experience to the squad.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 09:23:23 PM »
The burning question is do we really want to qualify for the playoffs? It's not that I want us to miss out but the squad will have been through a pretty tough period of 9 matches.

The international window follows and who knows how many that Eddie might try to break. The new season starts before that window finishes.

I would rather see our guys get as much R&R as they can and hit the ground running when next season kicks off.
I think the question is whether the players would want to be rewarded with the opportunity of a playoff as a reward for their endeavors..i suspect they would.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 10:04:22 PM »

I think the question is whether the players would want to be rewarded with the opportunity of a playoff as a reward for their endeavors..i suspect they would.

I think the players give their answer.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1300723872161988610
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 10:21:12 PM »

I think the players give their answer.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1300723872161988610

Oops...something went wrong

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 10:48:18 PM »
Link works fine for me. Checked at least twice.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 10:49:50 PM »
Proves I can't read...ignore my last

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 04:21:12 PM »
Sale 55 vs
Sarries 4
Bath 4
Saints 4
Wuss 4

Bristol 53 vs
Saints 4
Wasps 4
Tigers 4
Irish 4

Wasps 51 vs
Tigers 4
Bristol 0
Quins 4
Chiefs 0

Bath 50 vs
Wuss 4
Sharks 0
Glaws 0
Sarries 0

Saints 41 vs
Bears 0
Tigers 4
Sharks 0
Glaws 4

Quins 37 vs
Irish 4
Glaws 4
Wasps 0
Tigers 4

Glaws 41 vs
Chiefs 0
Quins 0
Bath 4
Saints 0

So updated now.

Sale 70
Bristol 69
Wasps 59
Bath 54
Saints 49
Quins 49
Glaws 45

Obviously my estimates aren't perfect :D, but that win has helped us a lot, however Bath basically got a bit further ahead with a 5 pointer against Quins, they could easily pick up more wins that I haven't estimated, that's a problem for us making 4th.

We need as much as possible from Tigers, and ideally, a win against Bristol. Bath concern me the most, but there's not much we can do about them now.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 12:59:45 PM by Raggs »

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 04:34:34 PM »
If we make 3rd we can make the final. Don't underestimate the tactical nous of our head coach, and the change in our ability to defend.

The more problems we cause the opposition, the less problems they cause us.