Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Paolo Odogwu set for first England call-up  (Read 7751 times)

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Paolo Odogwu set for first England call-up
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2021, 12:48:02 PM »
Interesting from DM Article - Alfie, Paolo & Josh 3 of the 5 most metres gained in the Prem this season.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2021, 01:30:03 PM »
seems a bit premature to me, but congrats to him if true.

Agree Paul. You get the sense Eddie keeps a particularly close eye on Wasps’ rising talents be it Odogwu, Umaga or Barbeary. That’s a great thing (and I’m happy for the lads) but you feel it is a tad too early for those kind of call ups and that they need to gain more experience, consistency & understanding of the game to really reach the level where they are credibly challenging for an England cap.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 01:46:09 PM »
Ordinarily I would say this smacks of getting him capped to tie him in and not lose him to Italy.  However, with the squad limited to 28, I can't see that there will be a spot for him anyway, so just making a bit of noise so he might think twice about rushing to play for Italy and in doing so, kiss goodbye to representing England and everything that comes with it.  To point the finger at Eddie and claim he has a track record on this seems a bit harsh.  I'm no lover of EJ, but he is no more guilty than any other coach of doing this, and he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't make every effort to nail down any promising players with dual eligibility before the rival country's coach got in.

Gregor Townsend has called up Cameron Redpath to the Scotland squad.  Redpath played U20 for England and has been in previous EJ squads, but never capped.  Given the family history there, I can imagine the lad himself has understandably divided loyalties.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 02:26:02 PM »
I don't think there's a cat in hells chance Odogwu will be in Eddie's squad and to be honest nor should he be. He's been outstanding in the last three games and the improvement is marked. But if the thought is that he gets selected as a 13 he's nowhere near international standard in that position yet.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2021, 02:33:29 PM »
 + 1

PestNproud

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2021, 02:34:43 PM »
Premature, maybe, but I can see Paolo being Eddie's type of player (in a good way), especially now he's shown potential at centre. They're both smiling assassins, too!

Also, to be fair, Eddie seems pretty good at giving new prospects a chance to join the squad and familiarise. Isn't this something the ABs and nowadays Wasps do sucessfully?

Closing off the Azzurri helps, I'm sure.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2021, 03:52:33 PM »
Given that Eddie is only selecting 28 (but no doubt others will be put on standby), the Bath situation may influence whogets picked. Mind you, Eng are short of coaches to oversee the training sessions ATM!

For me Jack, Dan and Joe deserve to be included.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2021, 06:21:20 PM »
I don't think there's a cat in hells chance Odogwu will be in Eddie's squad and to be honest nor should he be. He's been outstanding in the last three games and the improvement is marked. But if the thought is that he gets selected as a 13 he's nowhere near international standard in that position yet.
Man speak truth

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2021, 11:12:17 AM »
Whilst I agree his selection would seem a bit premature, IMO, I don't however agree that means he shouldn't be picked per se. There's no rule that says a player should play x number of prem games before he can be selected. If Eddie sees something he likes in a player, why would he not bring him into the squad & if he likes what he sees close up, why not select him for a game if he thinks he's ready?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2021, 11:28:38 AM »
Whilst I agree his selection would seem a bit premature, IMO, I don't however agree that means he shouldn't be picked per se. There's no rule that says a player should play x number of prem games before he can be selected. If Eddie sees something he likes in a player, why would he not bring him into the squad & if he likes what he sees close up, why not select him for a game if he thinks he's ready?

But it is not A GAME it is part of a 28 man squad for a considerable time. EJ is not able to send somebody back to their team if he doesn't like what he bought. Unless of course he injures him!!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2021, 11:35:19 AM »
This is absolutely what he should do. But if we set aside the debate about whether Odogwu is good enough the nature of this 6N works against him. With the number of picks limited to 28 I really can't see Jones taking a flyer on Odogwu. I'd be amazed if there's anyone in the 28 who isn't reasonably well established.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2021, 11:40:57 AM »
But it is not A GAME it is part of a 28 man squad for a considerable time. EJ is not able to send somebody back to their team if he doesn't like what he bought. Unless of course he injures him!!

That doesn't make any of what I've written less valid. Although I get it could be inconvenient for Wasps from a selection pint of view

TBH he hasn't even been picked yet, this is still just a rumour...

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2021, 11:57:27 AM »

That doesn't make any of what I've written less valid. Although I get it could be inconvenient for Wasps from a selection pint of view

TBH he hasn't even been picked yet, this is still just a rumour...

Agreed on your last point.
Let me tell you something cucumber

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2021, 06:13:22 PM »

This is difficult

On the one hand Paolo isn't first choice 13 at his club and hasn't yet become a first choice winger either.
Would he start on the wing if we still had TV2/Wade?

However, on the other hand, our starting outside centre is a world class All Black, and Paolo's form of late deserves recognition.

I would want to see more vision and passing from him before believing that he could step up to the next level.
If that's Eddie's thinking too, then I can see why he'd want to get a closer look at him in the camp.

My overriding feeling though is disbelief that players such as Wade and Cipriani (as well as others at other clubs) who have had spells where they've been practically peerless have been overlooked but that Paolo is being considered after a few really good games.

If he does get selected, I wish him all the best, hope he goes on to prove the doubters wrong and becomes an England regular.

PestNproud

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2021, 06:15:58 PM »

My overriding feeling though is disbelief that players such as Wade and Cipriani (as well as others at other clubs) who have had spells where they've been practically peerless have been overlooked but that Paolo is being considered after a few really good games.

If he does get selected, I wish him all the best, hope he goes on to prove the doubters wrong and becomes an England regular.

+1