Always a Wasp

Author Topic: CCFC  (Read 13391 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: CCFC
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2021, 04:24:11 PM »
last time CCFC played at the Ricoh I'm sure it was them that moved fixtures (4 matches as I remember it) as their fans were all crying about how unfair it was that they had to rearrange four fixtures and Wasps didn't move any
Yes that was after the first lease ran out and they had said they were moving on . Surprise surprise new stadium/ alternative arrangements never materialised so they stayed but we either had already sorted out our fixtures or insisted we had priority

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2021, 04:31:09 PM »
  • In terms of ‘fixture priority’, the EFL require that all members have “primacy of fixtures“. Apparently this was the same the last time CCFC were playing in the Ricoh which probably means more Wasps fixtures will be on Friday evenings and Sundays.

If true, I hope our fixtures are drawn on opposite weekends. Having our fixtures moved will affect my ability to attend matches. I could probably do some Sundays, though it wouldn't be ideal, but Friday nights are a complete non-starter.

The issue is on the domestic front, CCFC will have 46 games and Wasps 22. Granted the (regular) football season is around 2 months longer than the Premiership & also has mid-week fixtures, but it will still be tight scheduling ... and that’s before you factor in the Wasps’ European (and to a lesser extent the Premiership Rugby Cup) fixtures.

Also irrespective of EFL’s ‘requirement’, don’t BT have a say in terms of Wasps fixture scheduling?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2021, 04:41:39 PM »
  • In terms of ‘fixture priority’, the EFL require that all members have “primacy of fixtures“. Apparently this was the same the last time CCFC were playing in the Ricoh which probably means more Wasps fixtures will be on Friday evenings and Sundays.

If true, I hope our fixtures are drawn on opposite weekends. Having our fixtures moved will affect my ability to attend matches. I could probably do some Sundays, though it wouldn't be ideal, but Friday nights are a complete non-starter.

The issue is on the domestic front, CCFC will have 46 games and Wasps 22. Granted the (regular) football season is around 2 months longer than the Premiership & also has mid-week fixtures, but it will still be tight scheduling ... and that’s before you factor in the Wasps’ European (and to a lesser extent the Premiership Rugby Cup) fixtures.

Also irrespective of EFL’s ‘requirement’, don’t BT have a say in terms of Wasps fixture scheduling?

BT have. Also various other things like the RL WC plus Bowl concerts (admittedly Summer based but preparation and recovery time).
Let me tell you something cucumber

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2021, 05:36:27 PM »
If I remember right one of the reasons we wanted to play Saturdays was because there was more take up on the the corporate side of things.
I'm sure we factored this into the negotiations.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2021, 06:00:55 PM »
I’ve had a look at the Saturday/Sunday split for Wasps’ home fixtures for the last couple of seasons:

• 2018/2019 (last season CCFC played at the Ricoh): 63% of all Wasps games (Premiership Rugby, Champions Cup & Premiership Cup) were on a Saturday. The figure was 73% when just looking at the 11 PR home games.
  • 2019/2020 (first season CCFC weren’t at the Ricoh since Wasps’ move): Looking at the pre-Covid fixtures list shows that 72% of Wasps Premiership home games were planned on a Saturday.
  • 2020-2021: Looking at Rounds 1 to 15 where fixture dates have been confirmed, 75% of Wasps’ home games were/are on a Saturday.

Hopefully that indicates that CCFC’s primacy of fixtures ‘advantage’ won’t have a significant impact on Wasps’ scheduling. I don’t think CCFC’s move from League One to the Championship will have an impact since it’s the same number of matches.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2021, 01:21:40 PM »
Wasps 'happy' to move Ricoh Arena games if Coventry City fixtures clash

Bobby Bridge reports:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/ricoh-arena-wasps-coventry-city-20108204
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2021, 01:39:44 PM »
Wasps 'happy' to move Ricoh Arena games if Coventry City fixtures clash

Bobby Bridge reports:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/ricoh-arena-wasps-coventry-city-20108204

Phooey

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2021, 01:46:00 PM »
As long as games don't get moved at short notice that should be ok.
FA cup games I would hope, we get when we want to play.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2021, 02:09:11 PM »
Seem to be really bending over to accommodate them . They must have got hold of some really incriminating photos.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2021, 02:12:38 PM »
Seem to be really bending over to accommodate them . They must have got hold of some really incriminating photos.

My thoughts - seems all give.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2021, 11:14:11 PM »

I think some of this is just PR. We own the stadium. We call the shots. Let's not forget for next year we've re-arranged precisely nil games so far. To be brutal about it, if CCFC can stay in the Championship we can make a lot of money from them being at the Ricoh whilst conceding pretty much nothing.

ArleyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2021, 11:26:55 PM »
Àfter legal fees  I suspect we have made very little from  our "association" with the football club, nor do I think that the new deal will provide anything more than a modest cash  flow, presuming the tenants pay their rent. However, if we  move our matches to Fri / Sun to accommodate the tenants, I will not be renewing.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2021, 11:31:26 PM »

I think some of this is just PR. We own the stadium. We call the shots. Let's not forget for next year we've re-arranged precisely nil games so far. To be brutal about it, if CCFC can stay in the Championship we can make a lot of money from them being at the Ricoh whilst conceding pretty much nothing.

Agreed. My gutfeel says that we will possibly split the matchday profits 50/50 after expenses, with CCFC. Still good income for Wasps.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2021, 12:02:40 AM »
I’m not sure how the concessions work in and around stadium  . Is it a case of tills go to a central place so % of purchases are paid to stadium ,or is it a pure rental payment for the day?
  For the bistro and new sports bar must be a rental direct to stadium , as how would you calculate sales on a day that are due to a match or to event in exhibition hall . Indeed what cut off time would you say on a Saturday was supporters in these places before it was deemed new evening trade?

Think the biggest gain for CCFC could actually be Cark park income and ,depending on agreement, the corporate prawn sandwiches.

By the way , jealous Neils , you’ve been mentioned a couple of times of SBT !