Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Possible Wasps XV for Prem Cup as Alfie Barbeary hits full speed  (Read 2890 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Wasps XV for Prem Cup as Alfie Barbeary hits full speed
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 05:18:33 PM »
Now that's an interesting team.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 05:36:34 PM »
Personally, I would rather see Alfie get 20mins max, coming off the bench in both matches. Then if he survives, give him the second half v Glaws.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 05:42:00 PM »
Surely Alex Gray is not with us. I’d certainly not risk Cardall or Frost. Good opportunity for Scholtz to get some game time as we’re ok at TH.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 06:00:13 PM »
Lee has shown recently that he's willing to potentially sacrifice a game by resting players if he feels that it will benefit the team or individuals overall.

As such, I feel that if Alfie starts in any of these games it'll be because hm the data says they he's ready and the medical team are convinced that he's ready for it.
I really don't think Lee will take an unnecessary risk with him

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 06:02:13 PM »
Interesting "possible" XV. I'd hope we can at least compete.

Re Alfie - what's our longer term plan for him as he seems great in the backrow - is he still seen as a hooker or are we looking at others to fulfil that role and have Alfie as a "hybrid" player?

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 06:57:25 PM »

Re Alfie - what's our longer term plan for him as he seems great in the backrow - is he still seen as a hooker or are we looking at others to fulfil that role and have Alfie as a "hybrid" player?

In general, with everyone fit, our first choice back row is presumably 2 Willis's and a Shields.

So, if we assume that Alfie comes been from injury and is as powerful and dynamic as he was before, would be displace Tom Willis, and if not, would you be happy with Alfie on the bench for impact?

If the answer is NO to both of those, then presumably the answer is for him to be a hooker.

In the real world, we won't have everyone fit and available all the time.
However, when planning it on paper, I think he has to be tried at hooker and see what his set piece work is like

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 07:29:35 PM »
This may sound a silly question but has anyone actually seen Alfie at hooker?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2021, 07:41:37 PM »
This may sound a silly question but has anyone actually seen Alfie at hooker?

That's the big question mark.

However, Eddie had him in the England squad as a hooker, so surely he must have seen him play there
 /sarcasm

I read a report of a youth game where he played hooker.
They raved about him ball in hand, but said something like "there was once again question marks over his lineout throwing", but they also said it was atrocious weather conditions.

So it probably comes down to how much he practices those skills.
If he sees himself as a back row (or centre), he may not be putting the necessary time in for front row.
We literally have no idea

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2021, 08:10:34 PM »
I mean if Oghre can improve at lineout I can guarantee Alfie can as well. Our coaches just need to work their magic once again.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 09:13:33 PM »
First team wise we’ve only seen him used back row but I definitely hope he’s pursued with as a hooker. With Launchbury and Gaskell back I think Blackett will be trying to get Fifita some game time at six rotating with Shields maybe. Carr and Willis at 8 and Young and Willis as 7’s means we’ll need Alfie more at 2. Even accounting for how promising Frost has looked and how consistent Cruse is and Oghre is becoming. Fitting Barbeary in is a great problem to have.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 09:32:30 PM »
 ::)7
First team wise we’ve only seen him used back row but I definitely hope he’s pursued with as a hooker. With Launchbury and Gaskell back I think Blackett will be trying to get Fifita some game time at six rotating with Shields maybe. Carr and Willis at 8 and Young and Willis as 7’s means we’ll need Alfie more at 2. Even accounting for how promising Frost has looked and how consistent Cruse is and Oghre is becoming. Fitting Barbeary in is a great problem to have.

Alfie did say he wanted to try as a centre!
Let me tell you something cucumber

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2021, 03:52:59 AM »
This is the perfect opportunity for Alfie to get gametime at hooker, problem is if the starting hooker is injured in the first minute it’s probably a risk as Alfie surely isn’t ready for that yet. As back row cover he can be managed a lot better and saved for 20 mins at the end maybe.

Lots of backrow talent in the academy but Curran and Pichardie deserve a shot first - would be good to get Alfie Bell some minutes in the second row too.

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2021, 06:49:31 AM »
Alfie needs game time so is it going to be hooker, back row or centre?

Have a look at this Alfie highlights compilation https://youtu.be/yR14Wq_iZz4 As a kid he looked pretty good as a hooker and centre!

He looked like a man mountain at the pre-season Cov v Wasps warm up (and pulled a hamstring) but on Sunday he appeared fit and honed ….. like a centre.

He’s a force if nature, can’t wait to see the selection and then the performance. Go well Alfie
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 06:51:45 AM by Rugbyintheblood »

FrankWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 07:24:19 AM »
I thought (I may have had a couple of sherbets) that I remember him playing as centre for Eng U20s but taking the lineouts. Am I getting old or can anyone else recll this?