Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 9732 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2022, 09:43:37 AM »
Yes indeed. I was seriously worried at the time but Zac toughed it out and kept coming back for more.

Agree but does need to build up his general fitness more as looked out of puff near the end.
Let me tell you something cucumber

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2022, 10:21:12 AM »
Post-match there was a very funny moment: Most of the players came round with their kids in tow.  (Speaking of which I’m not sure whose kid Jack had following him around the pitch). 

At one point Cruse was coming round with his twin boys and had that awkward parent moment where one decide he was going to leg it one direction and the other in another direction.  In front of a small group of fans he then had to pick his favourite.  No sooner had he gotten the one that ran the furthest away (about half the pitch) and brought him back he bolted again  ;D

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2022, 10:25:17 AM »
On the Genge Yellow/Red, what do we think - Are we expecting a Citing?

I’m a Genge fan (He’s obviously a bit Marmite). 

I’m torn between it should have been a Red and he’ll be cited as ultimately the rules suggest he should be (contact to the eye area and the hair-pulling).  I don’t think it was a deliberate gouge as some have been suggesting.  These days, any form of off-play striking is a no-no be it to the body or head. 

The other part of me says he lost his head and we rattled him - He was pretty quiet when he came back on and that it was just handbags and a Yellow was fair.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2022, 10:31:21 AM »
Given our record against 14, and that they outscored us during the yellow card periods, surely it was a good thing he wasn't sent off? 

FrankWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2022, 10:44:34 AM »
I think at the time I was upset it was not red, but if had been that would have been used as a reason for the win, so I am well happy with a yellow!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2022, 10:54:01 AM »
Yes Frank. I think it should have been red but it may still be, if there is a citing. However, as we won, I don't care. Another team/s  may benefit. Reading between the lines, I think we targeted his suspect temperament and how it did work ;D
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2022, 11:13:44 AM »
To be honest I’d have redded him just for the ridiculous hair pull! Whether he meant to target the eye or not is immaterial - he made contact near or on the eye. You can’t do that. Red for me. Maybe influenced by the fact that I’m no fan of Genge - he seems to be a posturing, surly yob.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2022, 12:07:32 PM »
Based on the massively increased tempo, it would seem that what we've been lacking for months has been Gaskell...

+1.

For someone who wasn't even in the original 23 and, according to Lee, had had only a weeks training, Jamma did a remarkable job.

+1 he was one of the players that made a big difference. Cardall didn’t have his greatest game

CV2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2022, 12:28:02 PM »
To be honest I’d have redded him just for the ridiculous hair pull! Whether he meant to target the eye or not is immaterial - he made contact near or on the eye. You can’t do that. Red for me. Maybe influenced by the fact that I’m no fan of Genge - he seems to be a posturing, surly yob.

There was definitely one point before the incident under our posts where Genge took a particular disliking to Shields, I get the impression that Brad is very good at the "dark arts". Certainly worked with Genge. ;D

Not long after he couldn't clear out a 9 at the ruck and had a strop ;D

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2022, 12:52:33 PM »
The Genge incident could have gone, and still might, go either way. If it had been a red card, nobody could really have argued, he hit him in the face & pulled his hair.
I agree with Flatmans take on it that Genge had a reflex of wanting to hit him, for whatever reason, and released he shouldn't half way through doing so, which ended up with the oddly shaped fingers, I don't think he intentionally tried to gouge him.

If he gets cited & banned I don't think he will have any complaints.

Its a shame because I think he's been much more in control over the last few years, mind you Eddie will love him even more, he loves players with niggle.

If Wasps wound him up I am very pleased. For me Wasps have been far too nice over the last 10 years or so, they need a bit of bite & anger & refusal to take a back ward step.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2022, 12:58:19 PM »
On the Genge Yellow/Red, what do we think - Are we expecting a Citing?

I’m a Genge fan (He’s obviously a bit Marmite). 

I’m torn between it should have been a Red and he’ll be cited as ultimately the rules suggest he should be (contact to the eye area and the hair-pulling).  I don’t think it was a deliberate gouge as some have been suggesting.  These days, any form of off-play striking is a no-no be it to the body or head. 

The other part of me says he lost his head and we rattled him - He was pretty quiet when he came back on and that it was just handbags and a Yellow was fair.

In terms of refereeing it should be easy for the officials as all they need to decide is was there contact with the eye or eye area, and if so, it can only be a red card. They don't need to judge intent, or whether it made contact with the eye or not, just whether there was a finger close to the eye.

Listening back to the discussion between Foley and the TMO, I'm not sure they looked at it properly. Foley stayed at the mark and it was only reviewed once. Foley called it a push in the face, but from the attached images, it's clear he leads with his index finger outstretched and the others clenched.

Genge's defence was that Hougaard slapped him round the back on the head.  This is complete nonsense as it's clear from the video that Hougaard's arms are Infront of Genge at all times and up until Genge stands and pushes him back always below his neck. One hand does come up but it's more in a defensive motion and doesn't appear to make contact with Genge.

In short, I'm staggered it wasn't a red card, but this close to the 6 Nations, I'm not holding out any hope of a citing.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2022, 01:07:48 PM »
I have to say I couldn't see any physical provocation form Hougaard, although he does say something.

One question though for the ref:
When he gave the card he told Genge that whatever Hougarrd had done, his response was disproportionate.... so would there have been an act where Genge retaliating by hitting him in face the WAS proportionate?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2022, 01:11:48 PM »
I have to say I couldn't see any physical provocation form Hougaard, although he does say something.

One question though for the ref:
When he gave the card he told Genge that whatever Hougarrd had done, his response was disproportionate.... so would there have been an act where Genge retaliating by hitting him in face the WAS proportionate?

Yes.  If Hougaard had hit Genge in the face.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2022, 01:27:19 PM »

There was definitely one point before the incident under our posts where Genge took a particular disliking to Shields, I get the impression that Brad is very good at the "dark arts". Certainly worked with Genge. ;D

Not long after he couldn't clear out a 9 at the ruck and had a strop ;D

I think we, in particular Brad and JTA, were out to throw him off his game ;) Worked pretty well.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2022, 03:16:20 PM »
Shout out to Biyi Alo too. He put in a big shift at scrum time and the tackle he made towards the end of the game was excellent.

Well played big man 😀

That Alo tackle was amazing, amongst many try savers in the game, it was a special effort.

Here it is posted this morning

https://twitter.com/CharlieFelix/status/1480507051252006921?t=9jBknzqtAUrmVlLZEfPnIg&s=19
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 03:22:39 PM by Chunky24 »