Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps Sign Lions Captain Burger Odendaal  (Read 2660 times)

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps Sign Lions Captain Burger Odendaal
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2022, 12:06:16 PM »
Excellent news. Love it. Welcome Burger.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2022, 12:20:57 PM »
Wonder if he is in the Lions team to play Leinster on Friday - Live on Premier TV.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2022, 12:47:32 PM »
Happy with this.

Looks like we are swapping Kiwis for Saffas.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2022, 01:24:12 PM »
Really have no idea how good he is but like the sound that he has captained both his previous clubs, which must say something. If we have him and Mills at 12 next season, that could be impressive.

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2022, 01:35:58 PM »
What a signing 💥🐝⭐️ Welcome to Wasps.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2022, 02:49:05 PM »
Does that mean he's going to be doing back to back seasons? The experience is mixed of players settling down when that happens. Thinking of WLR mostly.

WLR came broken to us. Forwards have a much harder time doing back to back. Not so for a 12. Burger is not a full length of the field runner, so he is less likely to have an issue. His game style will also suit Wasps.
Good points, thanks.

MartinB - Radnage Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2022, 06:43:13 PM »
This looks to be a really good signing for us. It is difficult to get a real picture from the tribute/highlights link but he appears to be more than a bosh merchant......and clearly has impressed John Mitchell. I am looking forward to seeing how he can gel with Ryan Mills as, on the face of it, they could be very complementary. He will give us more than Jimmy does in terms of physicality and attacking threat and probably the same with Fekitoa from an attacking perspective.
With Sam Spink and Ollie Hartley learning from them and Le Bourgeois as a back-up, I am pretty comfortable with our combinations.....never mind about the Odogwu option at centre.
What we will need are Atkinson and Umaga to step up as we need a reliable goal kicker to cover what Jimmy brought to us.
I am not sure we are really lacking in any department for next season as long as we can keep our props and hookers healthy!
Thoughts on other areas we are short on?.......with Jacob looking to be a playmaker fullback and Miller to provide a safe pair of hands (try to put the Exeter game out of your mind!) at fullback and cover for flyhalf are there any signings we need to make for next season?

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2022, 06:57:42 PM »
I think a winger will be needed, then I think we are pretty well set after that.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2022, 07:03:53 PM »
This looks to be a really good signing for us. It is difficult to get a real picture from the tribute/highlights link but he appears to be more than a bosh merchant......and clearly has impressed John Mitchell. I am looking forward to seeing how he can gel with Ryan Mills as, on the face of it, they could be very complementary. He will give us more than Jimmy does in terms of physicality and attacking threat and probably the same with Fekitoa from an attacking perspective.
With Sam Spink and Ollie Hartley learning from them and Le Bourgeois as a back-up, I am pretty comfortable with our combinations.....never mind about the Odogwu option at centre.
What we will need are Atkinson and Umaga to step up as we need a reliable goal kicker to cover what Jimmy brought to us.
I am not sure we are really lacking in any department for next season as long as we can keep our props and hookers healthy!
Thoughts on other areas we are short on?.......with Jacob looking to be a playmaker fullback and Miller to provide a safe pair of hands (try to put the Exeter game out of your mind!) at fullback and cover for flyhalf are there any signings we need to make for next season?

I thought Jacob struck the ball quite well against Quins. It was difficult conditions but he seems to have added some distance to his kicks.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2022, 07:04:21 PM »
If you watch the highlights reel, at about 4 mins you will see Brad in yellow for the Hurricanes ;-)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2022, 07:49:28 PM »
In terms of who else we need it depends on who the departures are. As it stands I’d maybe sign another centre but that’s about it.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2022, 08:10:16 PM »
In terms of who else we need it depends on who the departures are. As it stands I’d maybe sign another centre but that’s about it.

Anyone else think we need another jackaler to replace Young? Barbeary seems good at it, but can't rely on jack all the time.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2022, 03:24:24 AM »

Anyone else think we need another jackaler to replace Young? Barbeary seems good at it, but can't rely on jack all the time.

Not sure, over the last two weeks we had Spink, Mills, Jimmy and Odogwu winning penalties at the ruck and that’s just the backs, Launchbury, Oghre and Cruse are also strong - Koch got one against us recently if I remember correctly too
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 03:26:50 AM by JonnyD »