Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What will Eddie make of it?  (Read 2654 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
What will Eddie make of it?
« on: September 24, 2022, 01:41:18 PM »
Obviously Jones was there last night and will have been appraised of our games so far. I think we may have several forcing their way into his thinking. T Willis, J Willis, T West, C Atkinson, J Launchbury the most serious possibilities. Wild card possibilities Bassett and Alo although I think we’ll keep both.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What will Eddie make of it?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 01:48:09 PM »
Think Bassett’s chance is gone and that’s probably fair. I think unfortunately Launchbury is getting edged out by far far inferior options.

My outside shout might be Will Porter. I think there are quite a few options at SH who are better players than Porter but we all know Eddie doesn’t always go with that logic so he could be in with a shout.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 02:12:20 PM »
Probably agree re Bassett.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 02:39:55 PM »
With scrum half, Eddie wants most box kick accuracy (and absence of charge downs), evidence of direction change, and fast breaks and supporting play.

Last night, Porter was all these things. And then Dobbie came on and proved how MUCH better than him Porter was against the same opposition (and thus a direct comparison).

Eddie has a ton of back row players to choose from, and a 10 MUST have 90% points kicking ability, which Atkinson does not.

So, was he there to look at Porter? Maybe. Otherwise, I think his eyes were on a Bath player or two.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 02:51:21 PM »
I agree with NWW, Jones was probably there to look at a Bath player or two most likely Joe C. He seems to want/need a power runner and when fit and practiced, Joe C is a very good one. Sadly fragile.

I think he ought to be looking at Tom Willis as the 8, and confirming Jack as 7. Our starting backrow is for me, especially when Brad is starting, more what the England starting backrow ought to look like. I'd guess, only Jack is in any danger of getting picked.

I'm not sure if I'm pleased about that or not. I do think that the Willis brothers are likely in the squad for first selection after the RWC....whoever the coach is. Brad's been a waste (as far as England is concerned)

Across the team/squad, Tom at prop, Gaby at hooker ought to be considered - but Jones probably only wanted to see what Alfie was up to and came any way!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 03:04:12 PM »
I'd rather he just leave alone this Autumn. For the 6N OK but at the moment, we stabilisation within the squad. Injuries, again, are theatening to cause us grief.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 03:26:42 PM »
I'd rather he just leave alone this Autumn. For the 6N OK but at the moment, we stabilisation within the squad. Injuries, again, are theatening to cause us grief.

+1
Let me tell you something cucumber

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 03:32:59 PM »
Tom Willis is too good for Eddie. he won't notice him. He goes for players who are flawed, so that he can notice that special something.
 8)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2022, 03:33:40 PM »
Cockanasinga, with all due respect to him, is a completely depressing international pick. Rarely to you run through people at international level and he doesn’t do much else.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2022, 04:25:04 PM »
Cockanasinga, with all due respect to him, is a completely depressing international pick. Rarely to you run through people at international level and he doesn’t do much else.
When he first burst on the scene he offered some pace as well. I agree with your view, just trying to explain Jones' interest, perhaps as a Manu sub. England don't need a fragile bulky winger - they have real pace and a very safe 15.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 04:59:35 PM »
Younger (Phil) Cockanasiga (Tigers) looks a bit of a handful as well.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2022, 10:20:35 AM »
Just Jack in the training squad.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2022, 10:23:18 AM »
A three day squad this weekend, what a waste of time.

Are all of these guys unavailable for their teams now then?!

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2022, 10:25:50 AM »
Younger (Phil) Cockanasiga (Tigers) looks a bit of a handful as well.

Absolutely, as does Anyanwu at Quins.

In terms of 10s, with Farrell in the team and guaranteed to start, kicking is less relevant. But our players are mostly all a long way off international recognition. Porter is definitely behind JVP at Tigers, Mitchell at Saints.

Tom Willis is the absolute stand out but Eddie has no interest in playing him. Something must have gone on in that international camp he made, but didn't get capped.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2022, 10:40:06 AM »
Tom Willis is the absolute stand out but Eddie has no interest in playing him. Something must have gone on in that international camp he made, but didn't get capped.

T.Willis has Billy and Dombrandt to contend with along Curry playing 8 despite not being an 8 and that's before you add Simmonds and Mercer coming back to compete with (for a RWC spot at least) into the mix.

I'm not sure Tom gets in ahead of Billy/Dombrandt.  Curry will stay due to his versatility and then Mercer will come back just in time for the RWC and has been a stand-out player in the Top14.  It's extremely competitive at 8.