Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Memories  (Read 1163 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Memories
« on: October 23, 2022, 10:15:14 AM »
We've shared a lot of amazing times here on this board, amazing wins, glorious moments of skill, getting to meet players, and more besides.

I thought that rather than focus on the depressing situation that we're stuck in I thought it might be nice to have somewhere we can share some of our favourite memories of being a Wasp.

I'll start.

I used to run a big martial arts event every six month in Balsall Common, and in November 2015 I managed to schedule it so I could go straight from the event to the Ricoh to watch our home game against Toulon.

I met up with my old mate who is sadly a Tigers fan and we took our seats in the stands expecting to see the European Champions smash Wasps. How wrong were we...

That game had everything. Smashley hitting people like a freight train, Wade drawing crowds of defenders before releasing Halai to score, Hughes in imperious form scoring twice. And probably my favourite try of all time, Jackson chipping over the oncoming defence, some magical interplay between him, Gaskell, and Simpson before he managed to score.

By the end of it even my Tigers mate was cheering for us.

For me that was a major turning point in our fortunes and it was an amazing game to be at.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Memories
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 10:53:58 AM »
The game in Toulon was pretty special as well, with the great try by Guy nearly winning it for us until Ma Nonu scored in ? injury time. A 4 day weekend in Toulon started with getting lost in Marseilles, having lunch in Cassis, and then the city itself.

My now sadly deceased friend Tony Turner wondered why a lady was wearing so little at 2am on his way back to the hotel. He wanted to lend her his coat until I alerted him to the nature of her profession.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 11:04:19 AM »
At Tigers....During 2012/13, I was offered tickets by my mate who's sister worked there, to see Tigers vs Wasps.

The game was good from a Tigers POV and after conceding 5 tries we finally got hands on ball and Daly scored. Sitting in some of the best seats I rose and cheered our score....the only Wasps fan in a whole block of Tigers fans - who looked on politely at me jumping up and down....as I bowed to them, gave my thanks and sat down, pleased I'd represented Wasps on a rather long afternoon.....

It was still my round afterwards......but loved the experience as much as any win (perhaps except vs EA's)

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 11:17:09 AM »
There are some obvious ones but for me it was about the 3rd match we had been too.
This was away to Quins in Europe just after the move to Coventry.
1st time at the Stoop and meeting up with a friend I hadn’t seen in years who’s a Quins fan and everyone there expecting a Quins win, brilliant to see the handful of wasps fans who were there celebrating at the end, the Quins fans having quickly departed.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 04:45:36 PM »
03/04.

USAP, Glaws, Munster and Toulouse. Those 4 successive Heiny games, especially the atmosphere and the weekends away were awesome They will never be erased from the memory.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 10:46:09 AM »
Lemi's match winner against Toulouse at AP. Winning the EDF trophy at Twickenham. Gopperth's match winning kick against Exeter. The Valentine's Day Massacre at Sarries. Horrendous Friday nights at Kingston Park when we never seemed to win for four years.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 11:49:15 AM »
The sight of all those yellow flags at the first game 'in residence' at the Ricoh.  Asking  a happily  drunken Frenchman  6 rows down to (in my  schoolgirl French, which stopped when I was 13)  (politely) asseyez ?? vous si vous plait monsieur  ...............  and he did! And I got a round of applause!  My family stared at me open-mouthed.  So very many happy memories.  Matt from the Offy appearing at the end of a match with a picture of the 7's team captained by Guy and signed by all of them;  it was 'surplus' and he thoughtb I'd like it  Did i!! Its on a kitchen wall; such a reminder of happy times.  So very many happy memories.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 01:03:46 PM »
I've still got the ticket for the first Wasps match I ever attended - 22 Feb 2004 - against NEC Harlequins. In the last minute, Oogie scored wide out on the right, Gizzy converted and we won by 1 point"!  I was hooked and bought a season ticket shortly thereafter.

The only visit I made to Aliens Park, as it was then, was the day of the St Valentine's massacre.

The only visit to Welford Road was the A League final which we also won.

Favourite match was the Euro Cup final against Tigers. Stunning display.