Always a Wasp

Author Topic: england1st 15 vs wales c  (Read 3216 times)

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
england1st 15 vs wales c
« on: August 12, 2023, 07:43:35 PM »
what a bunch of second rate players, beat wales by 2 points and  think their the bees knees, OF a liability, the only player with any credit and it pains me to say it was Elliot Daly

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: england1st 15 vs wales c
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 07:48:59 PM »
Owen Farrell red carded for unnecessary high tackle due to atrocious tackle technique. In other breaking news, day follows night.

Given previous poor disciplinary record, ban should be around 10 matches, Farrell has said he?s very sorry, helps little old ladies cross the road and of course places for Saracens therefore expected ban to be 1 match

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 08:13:01 PM »
Apparent maximum 6 weeks.
Last occurrence in Jan a 4 weeks ban reduced to 3 for old lady work (course). This reduction apparently cannot be repeated so has to be 6 weeks straight.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 08:17:48 PM »
Another dreary performance but rather surprisingly OF was playing OK until he got carded. If he gets away with the standard ban after what happened with Sexton the authorities should be brought up for brining the game in to disrepute.

Steward was a tad lucky to get away with a yellow as well.

The Saracens contingent were up to their usual in your face celebrations when the opposition made mistakes, they really are an unpleasant bunch.

I've really no idea why I sat through that.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 08:18:03 PM »
6 weeks or 6 "meaningful" games?
Borthwick hastily arranging 4 additional (very significant) warm up games against Saracens 3rd XV.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 08:19:02 PM »
Last occurrence in Jan a 4 weeks ban reduced to 3 for old lady work (course). This reduction apparently cannot be repeated so has to be 6 weeks straight.
As a minimum.

I presume its now too late to drop him from the squad?

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 08:54:19 PM »
Wales couldn't catch a lineout and nearly won..

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 08:58:07 PM »
As a minimum.

If he get's 6 weeks - which he should goven his 4 weeks for the same offence earlier this year} his RWC is over as England will not qualify from the group.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2023, 08:59:02 PM »
As a minimum.

If he get's 6 weeks - which he should goven his 4 weeks for the same offence earlier this year} his RWC is over as England will not qualify from the group.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2023, 09:26:49 PM »
As a minimum.

Don't think he will if recent Fagerson precedent is followed, he was allowed technique school again for a repeat offence.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2023, 09:19:17 AM »
If he got a ban in January, went to school and still "tackles" like that then either he's an idiot, a thug or the naughty boy course he went on was rubbish.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2023, 09:31:03 AM »
If he got a ban in January, went to school and still "tackles" like that then either he's an idiot, a thug or the naughty boy course he went on was rubbish.
Or you can't teach an old dog new tricks. When you're mentally and physically tired the brain reverts to what it knows to conserve energy.

That's why when a professional golfer changes something major in their swing they disappear for 3 months and just hit 1000s of golf balls. If you want a seasoned rugby player to change something as ingrained as Farrell's tackling technique it will take more than a few days with a coach.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2023, 09:44:03 AM »
.....  in which he should be dropped.  (I won't suggest from what he should be dropped, nor the height)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2023, 08:39:26 PM »

I suspect all 3.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2023, 09:54:58 PM »
I remember susoecting that Geech was a not very good selector for a while. I always thought he was respected for being a top bloke with integrity, a good motivator and one who had longevity,  having faced a lot of uphill struggles in his career, and that he had taken a Wasps team pre made as successful by Warren and overseen its slow, managed decline as players got older, extracting what he could from the memory banks.
Then I read his laudation of Farrell as the 'ultimate test match animal' and I knew that I was right.  The phrase is arsenic, and the moment it is out something fishy is up, and it is only used to justify the unjustifiable selection wise. It's the equivalent of Eddies' gut or the 'hunger I see in the eyes.' type phrases, also used about Faz. Bollocks ' hunger in the eyes', it is performances on the pitch, end of.

This test match animal stuff is normally bought up to justify someone being selected who isn't as good as someone else or who is horribly out of form/recovering from injury with no games behind them. It I always a sign of weakness.  Farrell has a lot of coaches select him and justifiably so with his previously reliable boot, until the last four to five years where his limitations have become increasingly apparent- the same way he speaks to refs, the same tackle issues, the lack of vision and his snuff movie approach to creativity. Deciding you want Farrell over Fiver because you want limited winning rugby and have a pack to do it? Fazball it is, that's fine. I wouldn't like it myself because winning limited rugby turns into limited losing rugby the moment the pack creaks, but its fine in and of itself. However, we haven't had that pack for a while, and we long since past the point where Farrell should have been anything other than a bench option  for when we  are 20 points up with 30 to play and some conservatism is needed. Frankly I am not even sure then,  given his inability to control himself. T Cup and all that phraseology aside, he doesn't keep his head and frankly has gotten away with more than he should based on his position. I suspect 2003 Woodward would not have stood by him, and yeah, it is easy for people to snipe from the sidelines, but if we can't work out now that Fazball isn't winning, we never will.