Always a Wasp

Author Topic: england fans  (Read 2024 times)

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
england fans
« on: October 15, 2023, 04:03:46 PM »
What a bunch of ignorant morons singing swing low during the Fijian haka 

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: england fans
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 04:50:55 PM »
Yep, very bad form from the fans.

The Fijian war dance is called Cibi.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cibi

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 05:58:43 PM »
England fans but necessarily rugby fans.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 06:14:03 PM »
Damn and blast.  I svo wanted Fiji to win

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 10:56:33 PM »
England fans sing during the NZ Haka, nobody bats an eyelid.
There should be nothing before any match other than the anthems, then nobody can get upset over disrespect.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 09:36:00 AM »
And I thought this thread would be about the idiots seen scrapping in the stadiums that has been posted on social media.

England fans sing during the NZ Haka, nobody bats an eyelid.
There should be nothing before any match other than the anthems, then nobody can get upset over disrespect.

Exactly.  Plenty of other fans sing during the Haka when the ABs are in town, no one complains.  Think this is more reflective of the general English fan base who seem to be actively trying to find the negative in anything and everything.  It might be an uninspiring time for the England team and we're hardly in rude health, but i'd rather see us show some passion like this rather than have to sit in silence for worry of being accused on whatever is fashionable at the time.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 11:24:02 AM »
I used to really admire the Haka when I first saw it, that ancient cultural heritage argument meant I was in favour of respect for an opponent's traditions. Then NZ started changing it, suddenly there were different versions of the Haka, now we seem to have a war spear involved. Then you get the huddle and collective prayer before the challenge. It all starts to smack less of culture and heritage and more of brand.

Why are the opposition required to face it? Can the players not be engaged in warm up drills while you do your thing in your half? And if you are required to face it why can you not issue a challenge of your own, the advancing forward or standing close enough to hear it etc etc.

I assume OP was trying to be funny. Do they really think 30k+ opposition fans are meant to stand in silence while 1 team gets to do what it likes to a global audience??? Singing your team's song isn't booing, jeering or showing disrespect. It's meeting a vocal challenge vocally isn't it? Or should England fans wait their turn and delay kick off further?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 11:48:59 AM »
Just waiting for a team to do a partial or full moon collectively.  All it deserves.
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 05:26:49 PM »
You could argue my cultural heritage as an Englishman is to turn up in a gunboat and string up a few natives, or perhaps to invade France every couple of centuries.
Either way I don't see HMS Sheffield behind the posts.
It's not culture, never was, if these dances happen and they get disrespected, good. They are all about gsining unfair psychological advantages. If they want heritage then get the primary school kids performing them, not the players.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2023, 06:03:47 PM »
I don't like it and if I had my way it would go, along with national anthems and meeting dignitaries and we'd just get on with the game as they do with other matches.

However, the time and place to protest is not during the Haka. The individuals doing the Haka aren't the ones responsible for the decision to allow it to take place.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2023, 08:09:41 PM »
I don't like it and if I had my way it would go, along with national anthems and meeting dignitaries and we'd just get on with the game as they do with other matches.

^^^ This. It IS a game.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2023, 12:16:26 PM »
However, the time and place to protest is not during the Haka

I've sung Sweet Low at Twickenham during the Haka, it was never in protest or because I don't like the Haka.  It was simply supporting my team. 

What makes you think England fans singing during the Cibi was in protest rather than in trying to show support to England - or any team singing during the Cibi/Haka Pacific Island pre-match challenge for that matter?

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2023, 01:18:59 PM »

^^^ This. It IS a game.

Exactly, the players and the supporters just want to get on with the game not fanny about.