Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Sale Match Thread  (Read 8076 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Sale Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 05:48:53 PM »
Very frustrating. That was one that got away. Sale only seemed to have one plan - give it to Solomona. He should have been ruthlessly marked out of the game from early on. I know easier said than done. Unfortunately Josh seemed to give him far too much respect (if that is the right word).
I thought Marcus was very secure on the other wing. Seemed up for it.
Simmo didn't seem to want to mix it with Faf. Maybe he felt he might get caught out?
Should have brought Charlie Matthews on with 15/20 to go. Dai doesn't seem to have the same confidence in him that we do. I do wonder why?
We sure have been missing Jack Willis.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 05:55:44 PM »
As an aside - I thought Andrew Jackson was a bit out of his depth. I don't think either team actually benefited but both teams were certainly confused at times. There was quite a bit of on going niggle which he never really managed to contain. At one point he marched Sale back 10 for backchat which was a point in his favour. Gave Willie a lecture for waving his arms about.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 06:59:07 PM »
Jackson was poor, I sit near the Wasps bench and I've never seen the Wasps coaches so angry, they were constantly complaining to the 4th official, even on a really bad game I've never seen them that upset.
He had pretty much no control of the game.

Similarly to NellyWellyWaspy I though Lima had a decent game, nice chip forward to De Jong and a great off load out the back door being 2 nice pieces for skill that stood out.
He came off with a hand injury which I hope isn't serious.

For me we are weak at 9 with Dobby away, if Eddie isn't going to play him can we get him back. Simmo was back to his slow self and Hampson isn't at the right level which showed in the last few minutes when we should have won that game.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 07:11:40 PM »
Jackson was poor, I sit near the Wasps bench and I've never seen the Wasps coaches so angry, they were constantly complaining to the 4th official, even on a really bad game I've never seen them that upset.
He had pretty much no control of the game.

Similarly to NellyWellyWaspy I though Lima had a decent game, nice chip forward to De Jong and a great off load out the back door being 2 nice pieces for skill that stood out.
He came off with a hand injury which I hope isn't serious.

For me we are weak at 9 with Dobby away, if Eddie isn't going to play him can we get him back. Simmo was back to his slow self and Hampson isn't at the right level which showed in the last few minutes when we should have won that game.

Back home and agree with this. I thought some of Lima's touches were good. Simpson had me screaming at him to speed up. I can't believe we are so bad without Robson and Young. Stuart made some silly decisions and for me Gaby did very little. Watson seemed quiet but with his size what can you really expect.
The ref was dire and the touch judges were silent. On reflink the TMO was actively butting in.
Just been told by other half that some part has had a direct go at Lima on Twitter- I think that is uncalled for.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2019, 07:29:17 PM »
The officials display was very poor. I watched on HD TV and can confirm the high wasn't a high, even Denny didn't complain. You can clearly see he doesn't slip up, it was a spot on tackle and a poor decision tucked us up.
Certain players need to look at themselves actually, I wont call them out but they are meant to be professionals and just arent delivering.
We really needed that win....
Now all the luddites will be coming out of the woodwork calling for Dai and generally trolling...

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2019, 07:32:36 PM »
At one point I heard (on the reflink) one of the officials (the TMO I think) call Zhvania an @rsehole. The TMO had told Jackson he needed to have a talk with the 'Black #1' (black was how they referred to Wasps). Jackson said that he had and mumbled something like, 'not that it will make any difference' (or words to that effect), then the TMO replied. I think it was whilst Faf was lining up a kick at goal in the first half.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 07:37:02 PM »
Had forgotten that. ZZ certainly seemed to get on their collective nerves.
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 10:45:06 PM »
Have to admit, I suspect that people are so desperate for Lima to succeed and for the real Lima to step up that I fear they are clutching at straws.
 It seems especially harsh that Hampson gets slaughtered by people here and on DW whenever he puts the shirt on and yet Lima has delivered Hampson quality performances time and time again this year. If a championship signing had performed as Lima has for much of this year he would have had the hot coals treatment.
Perhaps it is ok to lambast the third choice scrum half, perhaps not. Like most I believe you win and lose as a team, but if you are going to discuss individuals then a bit of consistency is needed. I certainly think Limas' name, and good guy reputation and the desire to not crticise Dai indirectly have insulated him from attack from many,  as has his late start and the injury list. Poor old Hampson has none of those excuses despite playing in the same disrupted backline low on confidence, just like Lima, and frankly has been about as effective in his position as Lima has in his. It is probably true that some have gone the other way, totally ott in blaming Lima, but for my money some equally dismissive ott comments have been made about Miller, Hampson and other second or third choices.

Now in terms of contract renewal it is fair to say "I think x does not offer enough", but on the match threads I think there is a tendency, more there than here, to single out players for good and ill, and to exaggerate their games. I have probably done it myself, especially in laudation, but it is something I would like to do less of on the various match threads.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:51:46 PM by westwaleswasp »

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2019, 08:10:03 AM »
At one point I heard (on the reflink) one of the officials (the TMO I think) call Zhvania an @rsehole. The TMO had told Jackson he needed to have a talk with the 'Black #1' (black was how they referred to Wasps). Jackson said that he had and mumbled something like, 'not that it will make any difference' (or words to that effect), then the TMO replied. I think it was whilst Faf was lining up a kick at goal in the first half.

That's outrageous and the officials should at least be spoken to about that. What would be the sanction for a player or coach broadcasting those words about an official?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2019, 09:20:56 AM »
Elliot was banned for speaking disrespectfully about an official a few years ago. And Hughes was banned for tweeting something disrespectful about the disciplinary process.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 09:27:26 AM »

Your reflink must be clearer than ours, because a couple of us were listening by reflink, and neither of us heard that. I agree about the "not make a difference" quote though.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 10:46:32 AM »

Your reflink must be clearer than ours, because a couple of us were listening by reflink, and neither of us heard that. I agree about the "not make a difference" quote though.

It came straight after that reply by Jackson, very quietly. I suspect it was under his breath. If there was anybody else in the 'booth' that the TMO uses, it could have been them, picked up by the TMO mic. I guess there must by a VT person in there at least.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2019, 11:49:36 AM »
Have to admit, I suspect that people are so desperate for Lima to succeed and for the real Lima to step up that I fear they are clutching at straws.
 It seems especially harsh that Hampson gets slaughtered by people here and on DW whenever he puts the shirt on and yet Lima has delivered Hampson quality performances time and time again this year. If a championship signing had performed as Lima has for much of this year he would have had the hot coals treatment.
Perhaps it is ok to lambast the third choice scrum half, perhaps not. Like most I believe you win and lose as a team, but if you are going to discuss individuals then a bit of consistency is needed. I certainly think Limas' name, and good guy reputation and the desire to not crticise Dai indirectly have insulated him from attack from many,  as has his late start and the injury list. Poor old Hampson has none of those excuses despite playing in the same disrupted backline low on confidence, just like Lima, and frankly has been about as effective in his position as Lima has in his. It is probably true that some have gone the other way, totally ott in blaming Lima, but for my money some equally dismissive ott comments have been made about Miller, Hampson and other second or third choices.

Now in terms of contract renewal it is fair to say "I think x does not offer enough", but on the match threads I think there is a tendency, more there than here, to single out players for good and ill, and to exaggerate their games. I have probably done it myself, especially in laudation, but it is something I would like to do less of on the various match threads.

Not sure Hampson is, to quote, getting slaughtered on here.
I certainly only pointed out that he isn't at the level we need with Dobby away, If we look at the control on the last 5 minutes in Ashton Gate where Dobby was managing the end of the game very well to the end of the match yesterday where we constantly had single runners with no back up and the ineveitable penalty resulted, the position we were in we should have closed out that game with a win. There are times this season where Hampson has been okay, remembering he is our 3rd choice SH, and as 3rd choice we do need to expect a player not at the right level for the Premiership.
For me the biggest issue is our 2nd choice, a few years ago it was nip and tuck between Simmo & Dobby, but there is a clear 1st & 2nd now and TBH the concern I have is that Simmo can't see out 80mins, Dobby does regularly, which means we need to rely on our 3rd choice probably too much.

Lima hasn't been great at times but he does get an unfair press mostly I think because he isn't Cips.
Yesterday I feel he was showing some of why he is here, he managed things well with some of the skills we are expecting to see.

Overall our 9's and 10's are struggling as they change so much, especially with the changes at 12 as well.

I hope after the 6 nations we will start to show exactly what we expect with Dobby & Gopps back. With only 6 games left at that point to the end of the season its all a bit late unfortunately.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2019, 01:11:04 PM »
Everyone fit will be available for the Glaws match.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 01:14:24 PM »

Which thread are you referring to, i can't find it...and I dont recall seeing anything of that nature here.