Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Saracens - naughty naughty, very naughty  (Read 7415 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Saracens - naughty naughty, very naughty
« on: April 11, 2019, 07:06:55 AM »
So, Saracens would have you believe that they were completely transparent about their co-investment stuffs....

It would seem that's not really true at all

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47889182

southamwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Saracens - naughty naughty, very naughty
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 08:13:59 AM »
i love the response statement from the club........
In response to the statement from Premiership Rugby, the Club would like to issue the following statement:
Unprompted, we invited Premiership Rugby’s salary cap manager into the Club to openly discuss matters related to player salaries.
Whilst co-investments are not part of the salary regulations, we disclosed these transactions in good faith and indeed divulged more information than was necessary.
Separately, following a minor internal oversight, Premiership Rugby was provided with details relating to some of these agreements. We remain confident that we comply with the salary regulations and will continue to support the entrepreneurial spirit and future of our players.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 08:39:47 AM »
I guess it depends on your interpretation of minor , in addition my version of an oversight is something missed inadvertently, I will watch this with interest.

If found guilty of breaching the salary cap, a club faces a fine or a possible points deduction. The maximum punishment under salary cap regulations is a 35-point deduction, they could go down!

However, as the poster children of rugby union and real estate then I fear this will be brushed under the carpet if any impropriety is uncovered.
It was fine when I left it.....

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 08:52:33 AM »
However, as the poster children of rugby union and real estate then I fear this will be brushed under the carpet if any impropriety is uncovered.

Yes indeed, sadly. Money talks.

Now been picked up by the nationals. Guardian today.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/10/saracens-investigation-potential-salary-cap-breach
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »
My guilty Wendy ball sin is Birmingham City, we have just been docked 9 points for breaching FFP regulations. As much as it pains me to say it, Rugby could learn from football on occasion. Birmingham have gone from just outside the play offs to almost in the relegation zone. Rugby is a professional sport and the clubs are businesses, it is no longer an old boys club where lenient punishments are applied because the sorry word is used. Time for the RFU to grow up.

MattWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 08:57:57 AM »
‘minor internal oversight’ would appear to sum up that club’s attitude to the salary cap. 

The 35 point deduction in the BBC article is a baseline, I think, not a maximum.  The Saracens press office might do well to consider this.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 09:11:07 AM »
If they are quick about the deduction that puts Sarries in the relegation fight. All we need then ins an adverse fluctuation in BitCoin or FTSE100 values to distract the players whilst they manage their portfolios and whoosh through the trapdoor.

Marlovian

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 11:58:46 AM »
Nigel Wray hits the nail on the head.  “I recognise that in some quarters these co-investments are perceived as part of the Premiership salary regulations,” he said. “They are not. Investment is not salary.”

In other words, come and play at Sarecens and I'll help you invest a couple of million £ which I'll give you.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 12:04:01 PM »
The Vunipolas are undoubtedly enriching his knowledge of the real estate market, why else would he invest in them...... ???

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 12:05:26 PM »
I have looked at Twitter to see what the general outlook on this is. Taking Saracens fans out of the equation (who are all too ready to defend Saracens, understandably), the feeling appears to be the same. Just because it's within the salary cap rules doesn't mean it's right. Saracens are able to hold a huge advantage over other clubs.

WallyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 12:05:58 PM »
Naughty boys in nasty schools, headmasters breaking all the rules... For some reason those lyrics spring to mind. Look, call me cynical but nothing will come of this. As mentioned above they are currently the poster boys of Union with the superstars (though this is obviously why they have them!). Have to wonder though, with so few games left, if they WERE fined enough points to see them drop, how many players would stick around?

Definitely complete speculation and rhetorical etc so not really worth discussing, but still…

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 12:18:47 PM »
I have looked at Twitter to see what the general outlook on this is. Taking Saracens fans out of the equation (who are all too ready to defend Saracens, understandably), the feeling appears to be the same. Just because it's within the salary cap rules doesn't mean it's right. Saracens are able to hold a huge advantage over other clubs.

Its a bit like off balance financing...its within (or was) within the accounting regulations but it wasn't right in many ways.

Basically. we're saying, there is a direct salary cap and there are other ways of making money, that only appear available to players who play for one club, and they are used to attract players that would otherwise be beyond the direct cap

If that's correct, then frankly, its not an ethical position and skews the fairness of the Premiership.

Daeg

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 12:21:14 PM »
This is an interesting point. If the 'investment' is tied to their staying at the club then I wonder whether they would be so happy about having to stay there if they are playing Championship rugby and no longer getting International plaudits.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 12:21:39 PM »

Its a bit like off balance financing...its within (or was) within the accounting regulations but it wasn't right in many ways.

Basically. we're saying, there is a direct salary cap and there are other ways of making money, that only appear available to players who play for one club, and they are used to attract players that would otherwise be beyond the direct cap

If that's correct, then frankly, its not an ethical position and skews the fairness of the Premiership.
100%

I can't see how Saracens fans can see it as a huge advantage to them. Not all clubs have wealthy backers who can throw money around in the same way that they do.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 12:23:56 PM »
One thing can be guaranteed here, that what ever the outcome it will be a very long drawn out process involving lots of lawyers & legal threats.

Certainly don't see it being resolved before the end of the season which leaves a very minor possibility that if Sarries were to win, either the Prem or the ERC, they could get stripped if found guilty during the summer.

Or more likely they will either be let off or fined.

Whatever the outcome it could have massive consequences either to this season or the Salary cap going forward