Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Academy Graduates  (Read 12017 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Academy Graduates
« on: May 22, 2019, 11:19:18 AM »
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Academy Graduates
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 11:20:38 AM »
No Umaga?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 11:22:02 AM »
No, that is interesting.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 11:27:42 AM »
No Umaga?

That is depressing. I assume he is off. Maybe he has been offered a contract in NZ? Even if he was offered a contract, I could not see him getting any game time behind other senior players.

As previous hints were that 8 had been offered 'promotion', I am guessing he turned it down. Use them or lose them.

That makes me sad, but not surprising within the context of previous talent lost, if true.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 11:30:52 AM »
It's a shame he isn't in that list, but I think it is quite telling of the general feeling around the fans at the moment that when academy graduates are announced, and some bloody good ones at that, our focus immediately goes to the one person who isn't there and not the seven who are.

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 11:34:21 AM »
Great to see Sirker receiving the recognition he so thoroughly deserves.

The article on Wasps Hub mentions Sirker scored 11 tries in only 10 Shield appearances - second to Adam Radwan of Newcastle with 12. It is important to note that Radwan played 2 more matches as Newcastle made it through to the Finals of the Shield competition so Sirker's strike rate was in fact higher than Radwan's!

Let's hope Sirker can carry this form through to the 1st Team!!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 11:39:53 AM »
Excited from what I've seen of Oghre, he and Barbaery definitely seem like the future to me.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 11:52:59 AM »
It's a shame he isn't in that list, but I think it is quite telling of the general feeling around the fans at the moment that when academy graduates are announced, and some bloody good ones at that, our focus immediately goes to the one person who isn't there and not the seven who are.

I think that maybe as much because it is a bit of a surprise as much as anything.  Most of the others were correctly called by various people so less of a talking point.  I don't think that it reflects on what people think of those selected; I think it is a great group and could form the backbone of the squad going forwards, but I am still surprised there is no Umaga.

ricohchezwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 11:54:07 AM »
Just won't to say folks i wasn't trying to mislead you with my 2,4,6,8 reference, I am pretty sure Umaga named was mentioned so i believed it to be 8 i did put 8 smileys on my original posting but couldn't remember all the names, but their is a second line that goes 3,5,7,9 so close enough. This is greatness for a rebuilding season, not sure what's happened with Umaga though but lets focus on those that have said yes, some real talent there and the future of Wasps :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 11:55:42 AM »
Great news and good point VV, look at the positives of 7 decent youth products choosing to stay.  The context of not bringing youth through should not be derived from 1 player from 8 not making the cut.

I have only seen patches of play from Umaga and although he has looked decent, he has also been let go in the past by Leicester and I don't know how big an impact he had in NZ last summer.

ricohchezwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 11:57:48 AM »
he hardly got a look in down under nearly always a sub on near the end if at all but he did break his arm so not too surprising

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 12:11:30 PM »
Brilliant to see!

Despite total relocation of the club, an uheaval of the of academy structure/region, we have just produced 7 in one hit!!

You can argue that we may have been forced to promote this many due to budgets, but who's to say these wouldn't have been promoted regardless due to ability.

Yes the Umaga ommission does take an element of gloss off as he was classed as many as the best of the bunch. However, this is hugely positive news by the club and should be taken as such.

Lets use this core and build around them, like Sarries have done with their academy products.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 12:26:54 PM »
Brilliant to see!

Yes the Umaga omission does take an element of gloss off as he was classed as many as the best of the bunch. However, this is hugely positive news by the club and should be taken as such.

I think we were pretty confident on the others - but class at 10/15 is rare enough and I'm at best "satinwood" with Umaga missing....my gloss will only return if he is actually going to get a full Championship season....Yes its great for the others and our squad - but surely we ought to have ambition with the future top level stars?

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 01:27:28 PM »
I won’t deny Mike, my heart did sink a little when I realised he wasn't named as it just seems to be another player heading for pastures new. However, I'm clinging to hope that there is another explanation and that he's off on loan again either to the championship or NZ (although surely that won’t change the fact he's graduating from the academy?).

I'm assuming Cameron Anderson is either heading north of the border or being retained in the academy for another year?

To keep things on a positive spin.... who are people most excited to see given their chance?.... I'm anticipating a number of answers being Sirker! I'm keen to see Cardall, but fear he may be focussing on weight gain in the gym next season.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 01:38:10 PM »
A quick question: are all of our academy graduates offered the same contract when they graduate? If so, perhaps another club has offered him more money in order to seduce him away.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!