Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Cricket World Cup Final  (Read 5397 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
The Cricket World Cup Final
« on: July 15, 2019, 09:28:49 AM »
Did anyone else notice who was there...

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: The Cricket World Cup Final
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 10:14:17 AM »
I have have had to be watching to see? What's cricket?

I watch F1 and rugby on TV. No other sports exist. Summer can be somewhat tiresome. If it wasn't for my motorbike (and no, I don't watch much of that on TV either). Sadly, Baby (my current bike) is off to the dealer this week to be replaced by something a little faster and sexier. 125% more power, 25% more torque, nearly 20mph faster top speed, 0-60 down from 3.9 secs to 2.6 seconds.

Time to truly play.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 10:21:33 AM »
Lima was there. More interested in the Wasps ladies doing well in Netball Worlds and not so well with the Ladies rugby last night.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 10:29:07 AM »
I'm a bit like Nelly. But I only watch rugby. Used to enjoy 5 day tests but don't think much of the shorter stuff. Definitely not a petrol head. I regard cars as simply devices to get you from point A to point B in comparative comfort without breaking down. However, congratulations to England for their win.

And no, I haven't a clue who was there.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 11:08:40 AM »
I was following the score, but not very closely and still did some jobs, went for a ride out and the dog walk during the action. I did watch the last hour or two, got me hooked.Spoiler
It was a pleasant change for a team that I support to win a tight game!

That was a nice Honda Nelly, if a little noisy!! New bike is a great looking beast, but I am concerned that you've gone all racer on us!

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 12:18:55 PM »
For anyone who doesn't know the guy in Rogers picture it is Pete Nuttall, the stadium announcer at Wasps.

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 12:21:54 PM »
Thank you, I didn’t.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Daeg

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 12:25:05 PM »
The cricket was excellent, as was the tennis, as was F1. It was a nightmare trying to watch all three at once... I was exhausted by the end of the day!!!

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 03:52:16 PM »
For anyone who doesn't know the guy in Rogers picture it is Pete Nuttall, the stadium announcer at Wasps.
Oh yes. He normally wears those natty light brown cord trousers, yes?

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 03:54:07 PM »
I was following the score, but not very closely and still did some jobs, went for a ride out and the dog walk during the action. I did watch the last hour or two, got me hooked.Spoiler
It was a pleasant change for a team that I support to win a tight game!

That was a nice Honda Nelly, if a little noisy!! New bike is a great looking beast, but I am concerned that you've gone all racer on us!

Noisy? Well, maybe. But this new beast has a factory fitted Akrapovic can. Not quiet by any means. Racer? I can't imagine me in leathers (do they make cows that big?) - lol.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 05:39:24 PM »
Cricket for me is a first love, one you never get over. Fifty overs is, of course, just a one night stand, albiet yesterday was a hell of a bang, a one night stand with Natalie Portman on a unicorn.
Soccer and rugby form the holy trinity.

Wimbledon I can't stand, would not go if you paid me, just used to interfere with test matches when the beeb had it. Formula one is best followed in the newspapers, the movement, sponsorship and the like became more entertaining than the races somewhere after Schumacher left Benetton.....

DuncanS

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 06:52:03 AM »
Not a cricket fan, but this was hugely entertaining stuff. A sort of “Do you remember where you were when...” sporting moment, up there with England’s 2003 RWC win, Redgrave winning his fifth gold, and Barry McGuigan beating Pedroza.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 08:54:59 AM »
Not a cricket fan, but this was hugely entertaining stuff. A sort of “Do you remember where you were when...” sporting moment, up there with England’s 2003 RWC win, Redgrave winning his fifth gold, and Barry McGuigan beating Pedroza.

The question is - Would  we even be chatting about the cricket if C4 hadn't done  a one off deal with Sky Sports.

The same applied to the Brtish F1 GP. C4 being allowed to show that was a one off (I think its defined as one of the sporting "crown jewels" that has to be shown free -to-air in the UK).

Either way, the sponsors and advertisers must have been delighted as the live tv audience probably increased 10 fold for both events.  Apparently Sky took a slice of the C4's advertsing revenue for the deal to go ahead.

Obviously Sky and BT pay a lot of money for exclusive access for their chosen sports, which is then paid for by viewers who choose to subscribe. There is an argument though that televising it behind paywalls stunts the long term development/health of the game though. I only recognised 3 or so players from the Eng cricket team.

I think PRL have recognised this problem by working with BT and C5 who are given the odd free game to televise.

I'm just hoping that CVC don't drive up the price of the TV contract  deal so much that a lot of supporters can't afford to watch club rugby on TV anymore (perhaps game attendances would then increase??).

There is also the prospect of CVC buying into the 6 nations, which will inevitably lead to those games disappearing from free to air as well.

Its a tricky balancing act for sporting organisations who want to maxmise revenue but will also have one eye on interest in the game and its development
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 09:19:40 AM by BG »

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 09:54:12 AM »
Crown Jewel Sporting Events:

Category A - must be shown live on terrestrial

Olympic games

Football world cup

Football European Championship

FA Cup final

Scottish FA Cup final (in Scotland)

Grand National

The Derby

Wimbledon finals

Rugby League Challenge Cup final

Rugby Union World Cup final

Category B - highlights must be show on terrestrial TV

Cricket Tests in England

Wimbledon up to finals

All other Rugby Union World Cup matches

Six Nations Rugby matches involving home countries

Commonwealth Games

World Athletics Championships

Cricket World Cup final, semi-finals and matches involving home countries

Ryder Cup golf

The Open golf

So basically we are lucky, at present, that 6 nation matches are shown, in full, on FTA - we could only have highlights.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 01:28:42 PM »
The BBC moved the Wimbledon Women's double final to web-only part way through the second set, does this mean that the internet counts as free-to-air?