Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps' new-look backs division - who makes YOUR starting XV?  (Read 2693 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Wasps' new-look backs division - who makes YOUR starting XV?
« on: August 02, 2019, 12:46:23 PM »
Bobby Bridge analyses.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/malakai-fekitoa-wasps-rugby-news-16687524

Do you agree with Bobby? Read and vote.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps' new-look backs division - who makes YOUR starting XV?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 01:06:12 PM »
Here goes, I would like to think that Lima and Fekitoa will click, allowing JdJ to play with more freedom at 13. However, Kibirige was hard to leave out and can see him covering at 11 and 14 this coming season.

9  - Robson
10 - Sopoaga
11 - Bassett
12 - Fekitoa
13 - De Jongh
14 - Watson
15 - Minozzi
It was fine when I left it.....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 01:15:52 PM »
This difficult because I think Fekitoa has been brought in as a 13. I also think Dai will, at least, start with Jimmy hoping for continuity. Wings you probably start with last years pair but I can see changes on rotation.  Full back will be Rob. Our Italian will be away and resting for a fair while.
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 02:30:28 PM »
I am afraid I am lost for words on this. Too many variables.
9 - obvious 1 and 2.
After that - not so, although Lima will be our starting ten for sure.

I prefer a Jimmy or Lima at 12, which gives a 13 headache. I am not sure Dai really did want a ten at 12, I think he viewed it as insurance when Cips was our ten, and it happened to click brilliantly.
I think Watson may start, Bassett may start, Kibririge may start.
Minozzi may not be fit and fresh, but if he is I think Miller drops to the bench.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 02:41:25 PM »
9 - obvious 1 and 2.

I prefer a Jimmy or Lima at 12, which gives a 13 headache. I am not sure Dai really did want a ten at 12, I think he viewed it as insurance when Cips was our ten, and it happened to click brilliantly.
Minozzi may not be fit and fresh, but if he is I think Miller drops to the bench.

Agree with much of this. I think IC remains our most problematic position potentially. I also have high hopes that the academy lads, particularly James and Sirker start pushing the senior players for the starting berths.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 03:03:34 PM »
9 - obvious 1 and 2.

Unless he doesn't pass an Italian fitness test Minozzi is away for the time Italy survives plus rest time afterwards of ?? how many weeks. Our full back will be Rob until somebody else proves to be better or, god forbid, Rob gets injured. Season proper starts at WC Quarter stage so even if Italy are out by then it is still a few weeks.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 03:56:54 PM »
9 - obvious 1 and 2.

Unless he doesn't pass an Italian fitness test Minozzi is away for the time Italy survives plus rest time afterwards of ?? how many weeks. Our full back will be Rob until somebody else proves to be better or, god forbid, Rob gets injured. Season proper starts at WC Quarter stage so even if Italy are out by then it is still a few weeks.

Just because Minozzi is fit doesn’t mean he’ll get picked, he has spent a year out injured and has no form. I hope he does get picked for Italy as he looks a fantastic talent and the WC would be a brilliant experience for any young player.

I think we’ll be okay without him for a little while with Owain James and even Marcus Watson being capable deputies to Rob.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 05:13:51 PM »
I'd be going with
Robson
Sopoaga
Bassett
Gopperth
Fekitoa
Watson
Miller

The big call for me is whether De Jongh plays and I agree that we have repeated the sins of last year by being well stocked at 13 but a bit light at 12.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 05:44:51 PM »
I'd be going with
Robson
Sopoaga
Bassett
Gopperth
Fekitoa
Watson
Miller

The big call for me is whether De Jongh plays and I agree that we have repeated the sins of last year by being well stocked at 13 but a bit light at 12.

This exactly!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 06:13:05 PM »
I'd be going with
Robson
Sopoaga
Bassett
Gopperth
Fekitoa
Watson
Miller

That was may selection too - but to start the season, I'd probably get De Jongh to start and have Fekitoa off the bench so he can get into the swing of things. I think he'll share the 13 shirt.

12 Shirt - its depends - Jimmy to start and guide, Le B will look better for his season and not having to play all the time - sometimes its a combination that clicks and only game time will tell.

Back three - hopefully we have more than enough to rotate without lose of understanding (if managed...) but Bassett and Watson to start to provide experience of patterns etc and just real finishing power.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 01:29:25 PM »
In my defence I was assuming full fitness and availability for a nominal Wasp starting fifteen for a nominal "must win" match. MM would be the starting fifteen I think if we were  selecting in a vacuum, but obviously in reality we allow for the WC etc. I mean if we do the forwards we would have to exclude Launch on the basis of the WC too.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 01:58:14 PM »

Just because Minozzi is fit doesn’t mean he’ll get picked, he has spent a year out injured and has no form. I hope he does get picked for Italy as he looks a fantastic talent and the WC would be a brilliant experience for any young player.

I think we’ll be okay without him for a little while with Owain James and even Marcus Watson being capable deputies to Rob.
[/quote]

I suspect that as a WLR replacement and international player he'll be picked. Training, 4 pre WC then 4 WC games will be more than enough to get form back.