Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Kearnan Myall  (Read 7346 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Kearnan Myall
« on: August 19, 2019, 02:38:32 PM »
Article in the Guardian about his mental problems that led to his leaving to start a PhD at Oxford

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2019/aug/19/kearnan-myall-england-players-mental-health-training-camp?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Kearnan Myall
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 02:51:24 PM »
Wow!
That is a very powerrful description of his mindset, even when he was playing well for us. It should be a mandatory reading for some coaches at club and international level.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 03:06:04 PM »
Good god that is powerful and he needs plaudits for going public about his time. Well done Charlie Davies.
Let me tell you something cucumber

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 03:33:54 PM »
Do Wasps have a team psychologist does anyone know?

Might be something to be asked at the next Fans forum?

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 03:51:14 PM »
As much as getting the right support mechanisms in place are important I think the most important thing from that interview is the need to address the mindset that admitting to a problem is a sign of weakness. You can have all the team psychologists you like on staff, but if the culture (real or perceived) does not tolerate players seeking them out they will do little good.

I hope his research yields some useful conclusions and suggestions for improvement.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 04:16:08 PM »
As much as getting the right support mechanisms in place are important I think the most important thing from that interview is the need to address the mindset that admitting to a problem is a sign of weakness. You can have all the team psychologists you like on staff, but if the culture (real or perceived) does not tolerate players seeking them out they will do little good.

I hope his research yields some useful conclusions and suggestions for improvement.

As I know, unfortunately, asking for help is the hardest step. Asking ought to be seen as a sign of strength - I mean you wouldn't break a leg and not go to the doc....but it needs to be as  "normal" as any other form of request for help.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 04:27:23 PM »
The difference with depression is that it is not always obvious to yourself, if you are the one being depressed and you are the one trying to spot it, it can be far from immediately apparent. There can be a lot of "silly" things that build up and up, not things that on their own might be considered a problem, and suddenly "snap" something from the outside trivial can lead you wanting it all to end.
However, an atmosphere where it feels safe to admit problems would be a good start.

Mikeuk56

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 04:56:24 PM »
Asking for help when you have depression is one of the hardest things to do. Even with all the media coverage that is being focused  on asking if someone is OK its not easy to say you are not. This does not just apply to rugby players and other sports men.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 05:14:33 PM »
“I imagine suicide is very different with different people,” he says, looking down at his flat white. “With some people it’s a cry for help but that wasn’t what I was doing at all. I just wanted the situation to be over.

This is the quote from the Guardian I could relate to.

Having a really bad mental situation is one many people, me included a couple of years ago, just wanted to get out of. The real shock is when you start to consider what you might do to "get the situation to be over"

Shocked the hell out of me and I was glad I was seeing someone, frankly.....

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 06:09:09 PM »
How do Wasps come out of the article?
Do we now have better support mechanisms in place?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 07:09:56 PM »
For me the biggest thing this throws up is that now more people, especially men, are willing to ask for help it shows just how widespread the issue is. It's awful to think so many have and continue to suffer in silence. Anything that highlights the plight many go through can only help hopefully and I applaud Myall for speaking out.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 10:11:26 PM »
A really thought provoking article. Kearnan has to be congratulated for coming through this. Hats off to Charlie Davis in getting his team mate back from the brink.

Most people have been through some form of mental crisis - myself included - in their lives. Many will not admit to it. Talking to others whether it be healthcare professionals, friends, family or colleagues does help. It means that the individual is not in it alone. Recognising the triggers is important.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 10:13:19 PM »
Question re what KM said about England

I've been asked by a friend on KM's comments on the England squad and players hating it.  Trying to get a feel for how widely such a view of attending England camp would be shared and if anyone has talked to Wasps or other players who have been to England squads?

Seems Jones' tenure of teams certainly goes through "phases". And given Kearns comment re the Japan squad - wouldn't come as a surprise.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 09:10:25 AM »
One thing I feel needs to be explored more deeply is why people get depressed.  It clearly afflicts a lot of people and probably has many varied causes.  I would think that only by knowing more about the causes can you prevent it rather than simply concentrate on treating it.  I have been there too but thankfully I didn''t suffer the severity of some.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 11:35:04 AM »
His comments re England are interesting.

“It’s nothing to do with being worried about the physical aspects of training, or the media. It’s a combination of pressure, scrutiny, what’s going to be said and what they’re going to be made to do within the confines of the camp.”

He had issues with age group camps as well so its not just Eddie Jones' tenure.

There is an argument that putting people under pressure brings out the best in people, but there has to be a balance and if you are going to do it, you need to have the correct professionals in place to help those who don't "cope". Given Steve Peters success with the Olympic cycling team (many of them still see him for psychological help long after they've retired)  I am very surprised that more isn't being done at the top level in rugby.