Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wheels Coming off at Glaws  (Read 5822 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wheels Coming off at Glaws
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 03:03:16 PM »
I hadn't seen the full list, just looked at it and it is a long one, also rumoured that Ibitoye is off to the Top 14 with Agen. When you look at Wasps have done, we appear in more than reasonable shape compared to other clubs,

Are we safe to assume that Brad is staying put now, as there seems to be total silence and he did report back to Broadstreet for pre-season?

Players going back to training isn't pre-season but I understand what you mean. If he's signed for Saints then that will start 1st July, so there'd be no point in him joining training with Wasps.

Have there been many annoucements of EPL (all clubs) players moving to other EPL clubs?

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2020, 05:22:07 PM »
Yes - doh! I know what I meant as well, a slip of the finger.... ;-)

Saints have signed a proven SA Flanker today and a front row from Irish...

'Northampton Saints have signed South African flanker Shaun Adendorff and loose-head prop Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53191735

It was fine when I left it.....

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 08:46:45 PM »
I feel for Gloucester, at the start of the season Cipps and Joe were on fire and they looked in with a shout for the final. Almost frightening how quickly it changed.

It seems Wasps timing and circumstances have fallen well. At the start of the season it was hard work remaining positive at times. Wasps had chosen to invest in young players after big name players either left or weren't offered contracts just as relegation risk was lifted. Then arguably the change of DoR/Head coach ahead of a forced suspension, with a good run into the close with the young players really coming to the fore.

Hopefully business is insured/protected/adapting along with a new lucrative CCFC deal and new training ground progressing.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 10:35:19 PM »
We shouldn't forget that Steve Vaughan and Adam Benson both left Glaw's backroom for us as well not so long ago.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 10:43:47 PM »
VV, excellent point. Wouldn't be surprised if that's related to our stability, and possibly continued improvement in future as a business as well as a club.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 07:33:39 PM »
Well its an old boy

GLOUCESTER RUGBY ANNOUNCE THE APPOINTMENT OF GEORGE SKIVINGTON AS HEAD COACH

Following an extensive search, Gloucester Rugby is delighted to announce the appointment of George Skivington as its new Head Coach. He will start in his new position on 3 July 2020.

Skivington was previously forwards coach at London Irish, and has also coached with the Samoan national team. His playing career included captaining England Saxons and London Irish, as well as time with Wasps and Leicester Tigers.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2020, 10:05:25 PM »
Great appointment IMO, we champion young English talent on the field, now good to see it being appointed in coaching roles too with Blackett, Borthwick and Skivs.
Wonder if he was in the the running for the Wasps job.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 12:57:13 PM by JonnyD »

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2020, 10:18:14 PM »
Hopefully George will prove to be a excellent Head Coach but I can't see Glaws supporters being overwhelmed with the appointment.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2020, 10:40:01 PM »
So losing Johann, and then Humphries, I was thinking could just be a clean sweep type thing, start again, or potentially jokeshop, losing one after the other, rumours about board interference etc. Announcing a young fresh coach, first head coaching role, big chance, but again, potentially less than impressive (not to say it can't work).

However, this statement from Irish, rather makes it all look amateur hour, rather than canny dealings...

https://www.london-irish.com/news/london-irish-to-consider-all-options-regarding-gloucester-approach-to-skivington/bp2624/

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2020, 07:52:17 AM »
Yeah Irish sound pissed, and rightly so

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2020, 09:46:33 AM »
I don't think that (if I was  Glaws  supporter) i would be too impressed at the thought of acquiring a  DoR who either doesn't understand contracts and their legal  bindings  or can't distinguish between  June 2020  and June 2021.  He might be a great coach  but he certainly seems to be in need of a P.A.  It seems very remiss on someone's part.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2020, 10:51:55 AM »
So Gloucester may have to pass on any money they gained from the Sale  misdeed to Irish.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2020, 07:59:45 AM »
I read the statement from Gloucester on this and I don't think it helps the case, it's very much a statement about what they didn't say IMHO.

They mention the role was advertised in the normal way. And that Skivington was the standout candidate.

The uproar on the situation is about how contact was made, was it George applying or was he tapped up or poached. If it was a simple case of him just applying you would think Glaws would really focus on that point, which they haven't.

I think this will run for a while yet.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2020, 09:58:42 AM »
I read the statement from Gloucester on this and I don't think it helps the case, it's very much a statement about what they didn't say IMHO.

They mention the role was advertised in the normal way. And that Skivington was the standout candidate.

The uproar on the situation is about how contact was made, was it George applying or was he tapped up or poached. If it was a simple case of him just applying you would think Glaws would really focus on that point, which they haven't.

I think this will run for a while yet.

Doesn't make any difference if Skivs applied. If he has a contract for more than 6 months with Irish, Glaws cannot talk to him without their permission.

Basically it's down to the contract. Few options for me.

1. There's no valid contract (George reserved his rights when/if Irish tried to reduce his salary). Irish lied.
2. George lied to Glaws about his contract, and Glaws didn't bother checking.
3. Glaws are lying about a valid contract, but went ahead anyway accepting the likely consequences as part of doing business.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 08:38:19 AM »
If finances are as rumoured at Irish, it raises the question whether Irish are hanging out for some compensation. I’m not saying it’s the case, rather that it is something to consider.