Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Will Rowlands  (Read 6286 times)

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Will Rowlands
« on: July 21, 2020, 07:24:51 PM »
On his way to the Dragons?

Shame.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Will Rowlands
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 07:33:02 PM »
Leaves us light.
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 07:48:45 PM »
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-lock-rowlands-poised-join-18637419

By the sounds of it he's waiting for us to sign a replacement before leaving.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 08:04:16 PM »
We won't have a lot to play with in terms of salary, as I expect he isn't one of the higher earners. This article looks like it reflects reality, personally I am really disappointed but I have faith that Lee will have a plan, as it won't have come as a total surprise if the article is true.
It was fine when I left it.....

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 08:50:11 PM »
Perhaps sacrificing Rowlands for Tibo? Or will he also follow Rowlands and join his respective international team?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 09:19:55 PM »
Good player, gives his all but equally replaceable. Cardall looks good and we brought in Miles. I think we'll survive

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 10:05:42 PM »
We need a enforcer, Gaskell, Tibo, and Cardell all useful but we need a heavyweight in the engine room to boss the mauls and cover when Launchers is not available. Someone who has been around the block and in their early thirties would be ideal.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 10:07:26 PM »
Christian Scotland-Williamson has just been waived by the Pittsburgh Steelers where he was a tight end. I think he'll probably head back to the UK and will be looking for a job. He's 6ft 9inches and weighs 6 pounds short of 20 stone. If we haven't got anyone lined up to replace Will, would we be interested and would we need him?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 10:52:22 PM »
This is a big loss, not many locks around that are that size with his skill set.
I would be throwing the money at keeping Tibo, who clearly is in this mould, already dad good as Rowlands but a lot younger or finally biting the bullet and shelling out for an international quality lock from somewhere.
I think Edwards can be a canny signing but we have not really replaced Symonds since he left and also did not get the best value for money for him.
Plenty of big lumps around SA and Australia that could still be tempted by the money up here I’m sure

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 11:05:09 PM »
This is a big loss, not many locks around that are that size with his skill set.
I would be throwing the money at keeping Tibo, who clearly is in this mould, already dad good as Rowlands but a lot younger or finally biting the bullet and shelling out for an international quality lock from somewhere.
I think Edwards can be a canny signing but we have not really replaced Symonds since he left and also did not get the best value for money for him.
Plenty of big lumps around SA and Australia that could still be tempted by the money up here I’m sure

Agree. If we could tie Tibo down on a 2 year deal that would be good business by wasps.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 11:07:00 PM »

Sure there’ll be a few SA locks who want some stability ahead of a possible breakaway from super rugby and a few NZ and AU players who’ll be free agents once their super rugby seasons are done, just in time for the start of the new NH season

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 11:24:47 PM »
As good as Tibo has done he is not an enforcer and is wispy as hell..in that regard he'll never be a Rowlands. Edwards is a Rowlands size I believe.
We shouldn't plan around Tibo nor throw the blank cheque at him, he has said he wants to play in France, that aint gonna change.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 06:25:33 AM »
Losing Rowlands is a big loss. But it's not a catastrophe. I have a feeling Launchbury may not be away internationally as much this year. Agree we shouldn't plan around Tibo - he will follow his international ambitions. So I think we'll have to get someone in and as mentioned above it's probably going to be a SH option. As a footnote international ramifications aside what a terrible option for Rowlands.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 08:53:29 AM »
Reading between the lines Rowlands still had another season (20/21) left on his contract but took the oppotunity to not accept the immediate contract re-negotiations to move to a Welsh region a season early but wants to stay to finish off the 19/20 season

I think Tibo still has 1 more year on his academy contract so Wasps presumably don't see the need to promote him yet. If it wasn't for the current Covid affected transfer market I'd say that was a risky move. It won't have escaped his notice that he has probably contributed more to the 19/20 season that some other squad members earning 10x times more.

I hope the management offer him a decent senior contract this autumn for next season. Given his current status as an academy player with 1 season behind him, I can't see moving to a French club as he'll proably end up 3rd/4th choice and will get limited game time.

In my opinion he would be better staying here for another 2 seasons to develop into becoming a player a Top 14 club would sign as a starting 2nd row

PS

Forget to highlight another part of the WalesOnline article...

Tomkins.. another Sarries 1 yr loan player.. grrrrr

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:10:59 AM by BG »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2020, 09:19:16 AM »
Will indeed had one more year but teams leave themselves open to players re-thinking when asked to take a reduction - at least he is being open about it.

Tibo has one more of Senior Academy player but has stated in the French press he will return to France on its completion. I am not sure what you can offer to counteract somebody's national pride. Also as I understand it (could be very wrong) a player in the SenAc cannot be promoted until the completion of his contract nor have his wages legally increased (see what I said there EAs). He will know his worth now having replaced both Will and Joe through the last year. I would prefer him to stay but can't see it.
Let me tell you something cucumber