Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Brad Shields  (Read 3971 times)

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Brad Shields
« on: October 18, 2020, 12:47:53 AM »
Don’t think I’ve seen it on here yet but good old Ruck.co.uk have Brad as returning to NZ after the final.

Possibly not an accurate rumour as he re-signed his summer, but you never know. It was also Ruck who had us linked to Kolisi.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Brad Shields
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 12:59:51 AM »
Would be a real shame but I’m going to say this is probably just one of those page filler rumours.

Although it’s about club’s current Covid issue, this article (a few hours old), gives the impression that he is excited about the finals and the club’s future.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2020/oct/17/wasps-brad-shields-covid-testing-day-sale-exeter

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 09:03:43 AM »
I think Brad must have had a difficult time when he moved here. The signing may have been triggered by discussions in the shadows (move to Eng and there's a good chance you can start an international career).

Things then probably didn't pan out how he had hoped and it probably took a bit of re-adjustment on his and his family's part.

I can't put my finger on why, but he seems like a changed man. Perhaps Jack and Tom Willis taking some of the media spotlight away from him has helped.

He's turned into a Richard Hill type player, going about his business, no-one really noticing.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 09:18:46 AM »
I really hope it's not true, he's been very good in recent months.

But perhaps he made the extension due to uncertainty, but now has decided to leave after getting an opportunity back home.

But once again Ruck is the source, so I don't trust it. And if I personally had to choose between Shields and Kolisi I'd choose Shields, because he's an incredible club player who isn't really getting international opportunity. He'd be here regularly for the club. Kolisi on the other hand while probably a better player wouldn't be here much...

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 09:48:01 AM »
Not true- fast becoming a club man - interview in TRP today.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 11:06:19 AM »
Contradicts what's written elsewhere which says he's staying. For me he's been fantastic. Does a lot of the nitty gritty and is versatile. A real asset.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 11:19:27 AM »

Our back row is becoming a problem.

I think that most agree that if we have a do or die game, we'd want Willis and Young in the back row.
That means to play Shields as well, he has to be at 8.

I don't think we lose anything from his game by him being at 8, but I do wonder how much we miss the the explosive carrying that a big 8 could bring to us.

With Jack presumably being away with England a fair bit this year, maybe it won't be much of a problem.
Shields moves back to 6, and another Willis goes to 8 (presumably)

Does this therefore mean that Shields is an expensive 2nd choice, put a valuable 1st choice utility forward ?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 01:13:23 PM »
Brad, if necessary, can turn out in the second row also.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 01:25:21 PM »
Why do we not turn Alfie into an 8?

At 116kg he is 5kg heavier than Brad. He has better skills with ball in hand.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 02:48:16 PM »

Brad is a quality player with leadership skills to match. He is a key squad member and an integral part of our resurgence. Alfie is the next generation and clearly very talented. We’re very fortunate to have both.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 02:52:35 PM »
 I read the TRP article. It did not read as though he was likely to leave anytime soon.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 03:34:02 PM »

Brad is a quality player with leadership skills to match. He is a key squad member and an integral part of our resurgence. Alfie is the next generation and clearly very talented. We’re very fortunate to have both.

Brad will be 30 in April.
Alfie is 20.
I am not sure Tom Willis is going to be International class at 8; he may be at 6.
Vailanu is a squad player.

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 04:54:32 PM »
If Alfie can nail down the scrummaging and line out sides of hooker then you definitely want him as a hooker. He would be a really difference maker there. What he might offer at 8 could to some degree be offered by others what he might offer at 2 could make him unique in world rugby.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 05:07:08 PM »
Yes, but Alfie is tall for a hooker and Ogrhe has many of those other characteristics.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 07:12:23 PM »
For me Barbeary is a hooker who is being given time to play without the need to perform at the set piece. It's a good idea but a temporary one hopefully before he returns to the front row. Shields is immense and integral for the next few years.