Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Games cancelled  (Read 5682 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Games cancelled
« on: December 16, 2020, 02:38:21 PM »
EPCR has been informed that a number of Exeter Chiefs players and staff have tested positive for COVID-19, and that in accordance with public health guidelines, the club will not be able to send a match day squad to fulfil its Heineken Champions Cup, Round 2 fixture against Toulouse at Stade Ernest Wallon on Sunday (20 December). The Pool B match is therefore cancelled. 

As Exeter Chiefs played against Glasgow Warriors in Round 1 of the tournament, Glasgow Warriors have advised EPCR that many of its senior players are now self-isolating in accordance with public health guidelines, and consequently, the club is not in a position to field a match day squad of the appropriate standard for its Heineken Champions Cup, Round 2 fixture against Lyon at Scotstoun Stadium on Saturday (19 December). The Pool B match between Glasgow Warriors and Lyon is therefore also cancelled.

As per its COVID-19 protocol, EPCR will convene Match Result Resolution Committees to determine the results of the cancelled matches and the decisions of the committees will be communicated as soon as practicable. 

No announcement on wasps ,so fingers crossed

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Games cancelled
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 02:56:10 PM »
This could get interesting!  Not suggesting foul play in any way, but the timing is mighty convenient for Exeter with their toughest pool game being Toulouse away; never an easy place to get a result, European champions or not.  However, the fact that they are champions and Toulouse were in the lowest seeding band means that the panel is likely to award the game to Exeter, and Toulouse denied the opportunity to prove differently.  Exeter given 4/5 points for a tough away game without even packing their kit.  Presumably their internationals conveniently chalk off a mandatory rest week at the same time and the wider squad also gets the opportunity to recharge the batteries a bit.

I admit I am pre-empting the panel's decision a bit, but a situation like this was always likely to arise and whatever the panel concludes will cause a stir somewhere.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 03:33:35 PM »
I think it's more likely the points will be awarded to Toulouse as they can fulfil the fixture, unlike Exeter. Unfortunately for Glasgow, they will also probably be deemed at fault for the cancellation of their match, even though they're innocent bystanders in this case.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 03:41:14 PM »
My understanding was this was more of a "pools panel" type arrangement where they would decide on who won, what the score should be etc.
The wording "determine the results of the cancelled matches" would indicate that too, will be interesting to see how this pans out.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 04:01:41 PM »
I wouldn't have thought Exeter would be that cynical.  It was probably only a matter of time; all clubs are likely to be affected at some point.  As far as i'm aware, Exeter have been relatively unscathed until now?

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 04:27:42 PM »
This could get interesting!  Not suggesting foul play in any way, but the timing is mighty convenient for Exeter with their toughest pool game being Toulouse away; never an easy place to get a result, European champions or not.  However, the fact that they are champions and Toulouse were in the lowest seeding band means that the panel is likely to award the game to Exeter, and Toulouse denied the opportunity to prove differently.  Exeter given 4/5 points for a tough away game without even packing their kit.  Presumably their internationals conveniently chalk off a mandatory rest week at the same time and the wider squad also gets the opportunity to recharge the batteries a bit.

I admit I am pre-empting the panel's decision a bit, but a situation like this was always likely to arise and whatever the panel concludes will cause a stir somewhere.

That would be an outrage but I'd be amazed if it happened. I suspect a win to Toulouse and no bonus points.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 04:55:22 PM »
My understanding was this was more of a "pools panel" type arrangement where they would decide on who won, what the score should be etc.
The wording "determine the results of the cancelled matches" would indicate that too, will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Sets a very uncomfortable precedence if scores are forecast by a panel. The beauty of the game is that on the day any team can win or lose. I think the approach adopted in the Premiership for non-knock out games is quite reasonable - 2 points for the team that forfeits and 4 to the other.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 04:59:06 PM »
I guess we'll find out in the next few days

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 05:34:44 PM »
Just seen that dragons have had 3 more positive tests. Let’s hope it’s wasn’t from their Matchday squad

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 10:58:55 PM »

That is exactly as I understand it. The result of a rugby match determined over brandy and cigars.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 06:53:19 AM »
It's basically going to be carnage. What possible criteria can you draw on to fairly and accurately predict results. Utter tosh.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 07:40:06 AM »
They had to know this would happen. A cross country competion through a high exposure period should have led them into a fully agreed set of rules. At least in the PRL you have it already agreed.

In this case you have Exeter who seem to be the instigators so in reality should not be favoured in such discussions whereas Glasgow seem to be the inadvertant side effect and although playing dreadfully are in this position through no fault of their own.
Let me tell you something cucumber

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 07:44:46 AM »
Just seen that dragons have had 3 more positive tests. Let’s hope it’s wasn’t from their Matchday squad

If they are, I can't see how we can play tomorrow night?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 07:48:46 AM »

Must be OK as the game has been cleared to go ahead.
Let me tell you something cucumber

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 07:58:46 AM »

Must be OK as the game has been cleared to go ahead.

Just read the statement on the Dragons site, their match against Bordeaux is going ahead. They also mention Wasps are ok.

Dragons Rugby has returned two positives case for COVID-19 in the region’s playing squad, as part of Welsh Rugby’s testing programme.

All subsequent Public Health Wales and Government guidelines are being followed and the individuals are currently isolating.

Given this is a confidential and private health matter, Dragons Rugby will be making no further comment on the individuals involved.

Dragons have been in constant dialogue with EPCR and Public Health Wales regarding this matter and the weekend’s game with Bordeaux-Begles will go ahead as planned.

“We’ve had two further positives within the playing squad and also a member of staff,” said Dean Ryan, Director of Dragons Rugby.

“We have done all our track and trace and they’re in the wider squad so it will not impact us into the weekend.

“We have been in contact with the EPCR and Wasps have a clean bill of health from the weekend, which is good to know as well.”