Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Latest rumour  (Read 7610 times)

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Latest rumour
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2020, 08:48:08 AM »
BB heavily implies wasps aren't looking for centres.

Also made me realize we never gave Cardall an extension alongside Spink, Porter, Oghre, T Willis etc.

Also no mention at all on Fekitoa or Sopoaga.

And BB reminded me of bizarre rumours including Sam Davies and Siya Kolisi.

Can't believe my random SA second row from Montpellier Sunday morning musing doesn't get a mention in bizarre rumours, or does that mean it has some truth in it........!!!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2020, 09:08:27 AM »
Would it not land us in trouble - when can you officially begin discussions with a player from another Club?

Tomorrow. But, you would have to prove what was said. Might simply have been a 'chance' encounter and a friendly coffee, such as must have happened with Daly.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2020, 09:17:16 AM »
Would it not land us in trouble - when can you officially begin discussions with a player from another Club?

I think Devoto is a great fit for us although I can’t see why he’d leave Chiefs.  In theory, a like-for-like replacement for Gopperth (in a salary sense) who is a high-earner in the squad.  I think he was signed on something like £300k/season from Leinster at the time?

In theory, Umaga and Atkinson will be able to take over kicking duties and less of a reliance for a 10/12 with a genuine second choice 10 coming through in Charlie and both Miller and Mills able to cover at 10 if need be. 

Malakai leaving would feel like a big loss to me.  But I think is Sops goes, Malakai will go too.  Supposedly, he wasn’t signed on a huge deal and is best-mates with Lima.

It’s been a real shame to not see Lima hit the consistent heights he’s capable of.  He’s a really likeable bloke who seems one of life’s good-guys.  Irrelevant of what he’s being paid, it’s never nice to hear something openly talk about their struggles with homesickness and getting to grips with the game up here.

Part of me hopes he stays to show us he can nail it, especially whilst we’re a squad that’s in contention for trophies.  The other part thinks it’s time to call it a day and spend the money in other areas (like second row!).  Love Minozzi at FB and we forget how good a fullback Miller really is when he gets a string of games.  After that, we’ve got Umaga, Atkinson and Watson who can all fill in.  It’s a really flexible squad.

+1

My only comment is Devoto's motivation to leave chiefs could be money. Doubt he's on as much as Nowell, Cowan-Dickie or Slade.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2020, 11:13:24 AM »
Malakai would be the one that I would be very disappointed to see leaving.

Very +1

Agreed. I’d also add:

- Bassett: last signed a ‘long term contract’ in January 2018, so assuming it was 3 years then it ends this summer. We really need to nail him down.

- T Willis: last signed a ‘contract extension’ in March 2018, so again assuming it was a 3 year contract it’s fair to assume his contract will also be up this summer. Another important one to nail down.

These guys may be nearing the end of their contracts too. I can only hope that since they didn’t extend last summer ahead of that deadline, that their contracts run into 2022 at least.

- Taylor, Harris: both last signed ‘contract extensions’ in December 2018.

- Brookes, Cruse, Gaskell: all signed ‘contract extensions’ in March-May 2019.

The strange one for me is Zhvania who signed a ‘new contract’ in January 2019 keeping him at the club until summer 2020. He’s obviously still at the club but no contract extension was announced this year (happy to be corrected), so I’m not sure what the situation is there.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2020, 11:31:56 AM »

The strange one for me is Zhvania who signed a ‘new contract’ in January 2019 keeping him at the club until summer 2020. He’s obviously still at the club but no contract extension was announced this year (happy to be corrected), so I’m not sure what the situation is there.

There was something a while ago on one of the FB groups from someone that knew Zhvania personally that said he was signed up for another two years I believe.

Also regarding Fekitoa, not sure him staying his entirely dependent on Lima despite them being good mates. Think he lives with Vailanu (who I guess could also be off) and think his girlfriend is French so maybe establishing roots up here - surely out of NZ contention now so just needs to keep taking the money in Europe.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2020, 11:47:25 AM »
Looks to me like the Kiwi trio of MF, LS and JTA are in doubt. I'd certainly like to keep MF and JTA. I think we'll potentially lose a hooker, Cardall and Rowlands. I'd like to retain all props maybe with the exception of Zhvania. Those departures should free up enough cash to secure two second rows. The rest of the gaps are plugged by progression from the academy that we're already seeing.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2020, 12:05:26 PM »
Tom Willis signed extension in summer

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2020, 05:56:27 PM »
It would be a real shame to lose JTA. Like WLR he appears to have struggled to come to terms with NH rugby but now he has he looks like he could be a real bedrock of the team.

He has great attitude, I wonder how he is around the youngsters in the academy and below that?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2020, 06:28:24 PM »
It would be a real shame to lose JTA. Like WLR he appears to have struggled to come to terms with NH rugby but now he has he looks like he could be a real bedrock of the team.

He has great attitude, I wonder how he is around the youngsters in the academy and below that?

Unlike WLR, international rugby is unlikely to draw him back to NZ I suspect, so there may be a slightly better chance of him staying.

Does he have family? How they've settled could be the most important thing.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2020, 06:31:23 PM »

Can't believe my random SA second row from Montpellier Sunday morning musing doesn't get a mention in bizarre rumours, or does that mean it has some truth in it........!!!

You should have said you were parked in lay-by when Montpellier kit van pulled in , and a man looking like DR hopped out from behind bush and got in side door .

Would have been picked up by daily’s straight away

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2020, 07:01:31 PM »
Quote from: JonnyD on Today 11:31:56 AM
There was something a while ago on one of the FB groups from someone that knew Zhvania personally that said he was signed up for another two years I believe.

Which is all the more puzzling because as far as I’m aware the club never announced the extension. Again happy to be corrected.

It would be a real shame to lose JTA. Like WLR said he appears to have struggled to come to terms with NH rugby but now he has he looks like he could be a real bedrock of the team.

Toomaga-Allen certainly has come into his own since the lockdown. During the first half of last season, Alo and even Owlett were getting the nod ahead of him. His physicality is impressive (he’s even heavier than Alo who gets called a ‘semi-detached house’). His turnovers and steals are fun to watch ... the ‘puzzled’ look he gives as he does it is priceless.

I think his big character makes him well liked within the squad. He reminds me a bit of Haskell & Marler with his demeanor & sense of humour. During the Sale game (69:46), he nonchalantly wrapped his arms around CMK to clean his studs - who else can do that and get away with it!

As for his contract, he only joined a year ago (2019/2020), so I can only imagine he would not have moved with his family half way across the world (literally) without having a long term contract in place (3 years or 2+1 at least), so I’d hope/expect he’ll be with us until 2022 at least.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2020, 07:34:22 PM »
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/england-centre-ollie-devoto-linked-with-shock-move-to-wasps/

Rugbypass adding to the Devoto story. They added:

"RugbyPass understands that there could be some substance to the rumours that the England centre has piqued the interest of the Coventry based side, where Devoto could potentially be seen as a long-term replacement for 37-year-old Jimmy Gopperth. Although he is yet to confirm his future intentions, Gopperth turns 38 this June, so it’s hardly a stretch to imagine that 2021 could be the New Zealander’s final season as a player."

And

"Whether Devoto is a target of Wasps or not, one source did tell RugbyPass that the men in black were in the market for a centre."

I mean they might just be stating the painfully obvious.

Probably nothing, but they tend to be somewhat reliable and don't tend to agree with every rumour (they ignored the Kolisi and Sam Davies rumours). Basically I trust these guys on par with Rugby paper.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2020, 08:03:09 PM »
I tend to read most rumours as we're talking to them, not that their signing is guaranteed. I think too many people look at them the other way. If a player is talking to 3 clubs, 2 of them aren't going to get him, but it doesn't mean that the rumours were wrong.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2020, 08:09:53 PM »
JTA is a lovely chap and very  kind to doddery old biddies.  He stopped and chatted  with me during the BBQ a Sponsor as I was alone (waiting for the  others to return from piling food onto their plates) and was very concerned that I wasn't eating, and  wanted to go to get me a plate of lunch.  How kind is that.  He iss proud Dad to a little boy.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2020, 08:13:19 PM »
Quote from: JonnyD on Today 11:31:56 AM

Which is all the more puzzling because as far as I’m aware the club never announced the extension. Again happy to be corrected.

It would be a real shame to lose JTA. Like WLR said he appears to have struggled to come to terms with NH rugby but now he has he looks like he could be a real bedrock of the team.

Toomaga-Allen certainly has come into his own since the lockdown. During the first half of last season, Alo and even Owlett were getting the nod ahead of him. His physicality is impressive (he’s even heavier than Alo who gets called a ‘semi-detached house’). His turnovers and steals are fun to watch ... the ‘puzzled’ look he gives as he does it is priceless.

I think his big character makes him well liked within the squad. He reminds me a bit of Haskell & Marler with his demeanor & sense of humour. During the Sale game (69:46), he nonchalantly wrapped his arms around CMK to clean his studs - who else can do that and get away with it!

As for his contract, he only joined a year ago (2019/2020), so I can only imagine he would not have moved with his family half way across the world (literally) without having a long term contract in place (3 years or 2+1 at least), so I’d hope/expect he’ll be with us until 2022 at least.
Totally agree, the guys a character and I think every team needs one of those. I like his cheeky antics...and I like what he brings. Now his scrummaging is sorted, his open play work rate is noticeable.