Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Clermont: Post match thoughts.  (Read 7873 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Clermont: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2021, 05:22:06 PM »
Quite a summary by Bobby on leaving the Ricoh. Doesn't hold back on the refereeing.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2021, 06:06:42 PM »
Odogwu looked really sharp- Eddie really mucked him about.

Strikes me that this is one of the understatements of the season. The sad thing is mental Eddie will take nothing from this. He's a classic narcissist. Never thinks he might ever be wrong. Another pass of the mower and that would have been a fantastic try.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2021, 06:14:59 PM »
Quite a summary by Bobby on leaving the Ricoh. Doesn't hold back on the refereeing.

Here's the video from Bobby.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1378361472795955202

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2021, 08:16:17 PM »
Odogwu looked really sharp- Eddie really mucked him about.

Strikes me that this is one of the understatements of the season. The sad thing is mental Eddie will take nothing from this. He's a classic narcissist. Never thinks he might ever be wrong. Another pass of the mower and that would have been a fantastic try.

Completely agree - I was under-egging the pudding, in the interests of politeness. He could have done real damage to the player with what he has done, but if he had have damaged him, Eddie would say that he was not up to it mentally, so there is no win.

Have to say, Odogwu plays with a smile on his face- so did Wadey- I do worry about his future if Eddie stays- Eddie seems to like Mr Angry types - Brown and Daly spring to mind as players who have not been dropped when they might have been, and both are Eddie's sort of player. Personally I think it takes all sorts in a changing room, but then I have never played professional sport.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2021, 08:27:28 PM »
Paolo - like Zach - has medical family and both seem to me pretty well grounded.

Paulo in particular looked today like he had never been away.

I think our back 3 played pretty well today, apart from the odd brainfart.

And Le Bourgeois exceeded all expectations.

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2021, 10:10:37 PM »
As things stand does anyone think we are well stocked at hooker for next season? Does letting Taylor leave look like good business? I guess we will have to wait until next season to find out but I for one am more than a little concerned.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2021, 10:47:23 PM »
As things stand does anyone think we are well stocked at hooker for next season? Does letting Taylor leave look like good business? I guess we will have to wait until next season to find out but I for one am more than a little concerned.

Hard to say. Cruse is great and I'm happy with him being our starter. But Oghre just isn't cutting it at 2, and we haven't really seen Barbeary there. So unless something changes, or Alfie is a natural at darts as well I'd be tempted to say we're gonna struggle...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2021, 11:08:55 PM »

Hard to say. Cruse is great and I'm happy with him being our starter. But Oghre just isn't cutting it at 2, and we haven't really seen Barbeary there. So unless something changes, or Alfie is a natural at darts as well I'd be tempted to say we're gonna struggle...

Pluis the thing is - Cruise just cannot play every game so something has to improve and soon.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2021, 08:32:18 AM »
Jamie George sounded like he was angling for a something during the BT on pitch chat.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2021, 09:29:52 AM »
Worth noting that Frank Murphy refereed Russia v Spain in 2018, a match Spain won 20-13. However it should have been a 20-20 draw after he failed to award a clear last minute try to Russia, a minute after disallowing another score, which admittedly wasn't so obvious. Apparently he made a joke of it after the game when shown a replay and Rugby Europe refused to allow him to referee another match in the tournament again, and allegedly him being advised by a Russian official to head straight to the airport to get the first available flight out of the country for his own safety.

The key incidents are from 7 mins 30 in: https://youtu.be/qxI4LQeNKEg

MarleyWasp

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2021, 11:05:54 AM »
The forward pass at 1/8th of the usual speed.

https://twitter.com/shrekwasp/status/1378649246472269826?s=19

Given the touch judge is looking in field I would be staggered that he didn't spot it, except for the fact it's the clown who didn't think he should check with the TMO after the gouge at Newcastle.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2021, 11:12:14 AM »
The forward pass at 1/8th of the usual speed.

https://twitter.com/shrekwasp/status/1378649246472269826?s=19

Given the touch judge is looking in field I would be staggered that he didn't spot it, except for the fact it's the clown who didn't think he should check with the TMO after the gouge at Newcastle.

Thanks for posting. We've had more than our fair share of shit from the officials this season.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Nrgee

• Season ticket since 2016-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2021, 12:11:58 PM »
I shouted forward pass watching it live. Watching that clip shows how far forward it was and the postion of the Ref as he turns shows the ball is clearly heading towards him before the Claremont player catches it.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2021, 03:14:47 PM »
In hindsight is a shame we tackled after the pass- if he had popped over there and then they would surely have checked it, and we would have the win.
It does seem as if the refs and TMOs  this year have a special box of brown ended sticks with our name on them.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2021, 03:18:48 PM »
Or have just been regularly incompetent in very, very basic things.