Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Leicester: Post Match Thoughts  (Read 5213 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Leicester: Post Match Thoughts
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2021, 11:14:40 AM »
I'm not knocking Booj, and agree with the comments above.  He's certainly less error prone that some of his more illustrious team mates.  Steady, Solid, Consistent.  Can't argue with any of that, and it's what we've needed at times this season, but he is a big step down in quality from when Jimmy was still looking sharp last year, and if Mills had been fit then he was expected to fill that role and Booj wouldn't have had anything like the same amount of game time.

Agreed, just wish Booj would pass more, seems to take the ball into contact too often.

That's my only real concern with him (apart from some dodgy hair-dos)

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2021, 11:51:13 AM »
There has been some scathing criticism of Booj, particularly on the other site from the usual 'everything's terrible' brigade, saying he's inept and out of his depth at premiership level.

While he is never going to be top notch he's improved into a half decent option that you need in all squads. When everyone is fit he's unlikely to make the 23 but if we need a more physical horse for a course he can do a job. With more game time this year he will have developed a bit more game awareness and work-ons to help him improve even more.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2021, 12:37:50 PM »
I'm not knocking Booj, and agree with the comments above.  He's certainly less error prone that some of his more illustrious team mates.  Steady, Solid, Consistent.  Can't argue with any of that, and it's what we've needed at times this season, but he is a big step down in quality from when Jimmy was still looking sharp last year, and if Mills had been fit then he was expected to fill that role and Booj wouldn't have had anything like the same amount of game time.

Agreed, just wish Booj would pass more, seems to take the ball into contact too often.

That's my only real concern with him (apart from some dodgy hair-dos)

I think the same of fekitoa too or even Odogwu. Presume it is a game plan for the number because even noticed gopperth goes into contact in certain games when he has come on as sub.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2021, 12:56:08 PM »
I think teams in general would not want to sling it down the line on first phase, as all that does is allow the defense to drift and steal the ball of a (by then) isolated winger, and forces your pack to run sideways all over the pitch all day long.

Thus, the defense has to think you are going to try to break through well before it gets to the winger, whilst at the same time they have to leave someone covering the winger.

So, for teams that can't hang on to the ball (read Wasps) who often get no further than first phase, it will always appear that the centres do not pass. Just saying.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2021, 09:01:57 PM »
Agree with that NWW. It's often what happens once they've taken contact that is the issue rather than the taking contact itself. We've also had a lot of second distributor at 12 recently and that is never going to be Le Bourgeois - his game is altogether different.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2021, 09:36:47 PM »
I like Booj because he comes across as knowing  he’s a squad player,  accepts it and doesn’t do rash thinks to try to make a point when he gets a start.  He appears to be well aware of his strengths and weaknesses and I’d rather not see him trying to play the distributor at 12 and stick to his strengths, but circumstances mostly dictated he play 12 and though it restricted our normal game he didn’t make too many howlers. 

I think he’s best coming on in the centre when the oppo are tiring, he’s got good strength and appears to be deceptively fast which is why he can break tackles. 

It will be interesting to see how he’s used if we ever get a fully fit squad, I see him giving the 1st choice centres a rest when they need it and providing injury cover.  I don’t see him making too many starts with a fit squad but he may warm the bench regularly. 

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2021, 10:41:48 PM »
Plus 1.  I had high hopes when he first  joined, but I had overestimated him I think; now he seems well and  truly settled as a reliable team member and looks to really enjoy his rugby. Every  team needs a Booj.