Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Leicester: Post Match Thoughts  (Read 5218 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps v Leicester: Post Match Thoughts
« on: June 12, 2021, 05:11:44 PM »
1: Champions Cup Rugby here we come! 

2: Last man standing gets us there

3: Never stopped trying.

Well done Tigers, did what Tigers historically have done well, physical and abrasive. However they're weakness is our strength and visa versa. If either team want to get back into the top 4 and challenge for silverware we need more physicality and they need more speed and back play.

In the end the game fizzed out a little for the last 20, we never stopped going and got a LBP to go with the TBP which was deserved. Lots to work on in the off season, physicality and brutality needs upgrading, as well as a more dominant set piece. Skill levels and psychological resilience also needs some work as well. Umaga should definitely still play on the hoof, but again kicking is an issue that will be a work on. Over the course of the season too many missed touches, missed kicks to touch and to the posts, and also kick passing were short of where he needs it to be.  Centre pairing needs some work as well.

But todays result was more about getting what we needed to get into Europe. A win would of been great, but with injuries once more following us everywhere and young players being blooded mitigation needs to be made.

Overall a tough season, but the boys have a whole preseason to work through, and we have Champions cup rugby next term!!!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Leicester: Post Match Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 05:17:35 PM »
Well summed up, Wombles. We definitely need to up our physicality in the pack. We missed Tom West badly and we could have done with Alfie off the bench. Tigers managed to get it into Pearce's head that they were dominant, hence the number of scrum penalties that went against us. However, like many refs, I think he was guessing a lot of the time.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 05:18:13 PM »
In terms of this game we secured some great positions but weren't accurate enough when we got there. Some of their tries were too easy as well. But like many games this year we lost endless players in the game - some just looked physically shattered. A long season, no breaks from last year and no Covid points. All in all I'll take a Champions Cup spot and move on to next season.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 05:18:29 PM »
I know every team has injuries, but West, Launchbury, Jack Willis, Barbeary, Mills, Minozzi, to name some, are pretty huge absentees. And we've been without them a lot.

Contented enough in the end with our league position. Definitely more to do, not expecting top 4 next season, but would like top 6.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 05:25:07 PM »
Wasps are still a bit disjointed, but it feels easier to watch a game like today's. Thought the ref did well, which helps with enjoying the game.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 05:25:46 PM »
We have to look very closely at our S&C as injuries have plagued us. Are we getting it wrong there with post match care and pre match prep? Some injuries like Jacks you cannot mitigate for as it was that horrible "crocodile roll" which should of been outlawed long ago. Losing so many high performers and key players should never be downplayed, and it is credit to the wider squad and younger players that they got us into Europe. We need a full squad though ready to step into the game and keep the standards high so we can 1: keep pushing for top 6/4/ and then silverware, and 2: being able to rest and rotate.

The boys looked out on their feet today, and that is why the skills eventually failed us, it has been a long twoish season, with finishing last year, a quick turnaround and we played a whole season without a game missed...They deserve our thanks. Our coaches and senior players need to start plotting and working hard. We need to settle into our new world class training facilities, and we push on towards success!!!! Tonight though get the beers in boys, get the music on and start singing and enjoying each others company as a team!!! THAT is what rugby is all about!

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 05:28:26 PM »
Been saying for months as a squad we are just not good enough and I can’t see the squad being any stronger next season, not at the beginning anyway as most of the injuries to influential players are long term and I think the majority of signings are like for like without being improvements. While I’m happy with 7th I do think it flatters us a bit, from what I’ve seen only  Worcester and Bath are consistently worse than us.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 05:29:51 PM »
Wasps are still a bit disjointed, but it feels easier to watch a game like today's. Thought the ref did well, which helps with enjoying the game.

Your right, we never looked fluid on too many occasions, indeed sometimes it looked like players overplaying and forcing things. This can be overcome, but players need to really work hard to create a bond, understanding and trust to achieve this.

Luke Pearce has really developed this season, reffing the game exceptionally well, and I love the way he speeds up the ruck!

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 05:32:55 PM »
Been saying for months as a squad we are just not good enough and I can’t see the squad being any stronger next season, not at the beginning anyway as most of the injuries to influential players are long term and I think the majority of signings are like for like without being improvements. While I’m happy with 7th I do think it flatters us a bit, from what I’ve seen only  Worcester and Bath are consistently worse than us.

Some of our wider squad players have struggled, and our academy is only starting to bear fruit, indeed this was the second season that we are now seeing academy graduates again, and it takes time for them to get experience. Yes we need our key and senior players fit and firing, but equally important is having high performing squad players, and talented young academy lads coming through. Get the balance right here and long term high achievement is more than possible. This season proved we are not quite there...yet.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 06:12:24 PM »
Maybe not the day to be too judgemental about him but Umaga needs to be a lot more consistent if we are to be more successful as a team next year.

We simply will not win games if he is too loose, missing touch or being flakey in defence.
For me he needs a big voice outside him keeping him in check and others like Robson and Shields need to be barking more orders at him.

Blackett as a coach is seemingly very nurturing and he wants to encourage a free environment where confidence players like Jacob can grow - my fear is too much freedom in his game takes away from logical systems and one mistake like running from deep and getting isolated, an off load that isn’t on, a cross kick when we should play for territory can cost you the game at the top level.
we don’t seem to have a culture at the moment where those mistakes are simply unacceptable and Blackett seems happy for us to continue to try and learn from our mistakes - problem is we have not been quick learners this term.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 06:19:26 PM »
Umaga had a bit of second season syndrome this term. He will learn. I liked the fact he is playing heads up rugby, however his execution has to improve. His kicking game is one of his weakest parts.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 06:27:45 PM »
Probably hurried his kick/pass to Watson at the end of the first half, hoping the chance he spotted didn't vanish. Experience.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 09:32:54 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed the day out, well organised by the officials, and met a lot  of our friends again, and learned a great deal about manoeuvring my newly acquired wheel chair.  No one got killed or injured.  I did wish however that I had taken the settee with me.  Happy R and R to all the boys and the backroom  staff.  Looking forward to next season and seeing new and remembered faces  again.  PS:  The w/chair is only for longish distances.                                     

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 10:40:44 PM »
No complaints about the end result. We made a few errors that cost us going forward, but four tries is still a good haul. Our problem is, and has been most of the season, a paper-thin defence. Final table shows we shipped 624 points in 22 games -  that's more than 28 points per game - the worst defence in the premiership. Yes, I realise not every team played all 22 games, but still, it's poor reading.

Anyway, great to see Wasps finish in the top 8, really pleased with the efforts of those players who played their last games in black and gold today and great to see fans back in the stadium. Can't wait for September so we can go again.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2021, 09:16:33 AM »
I’m proud of the effort the players gave yesterday but circumstances mean it’s time for a re-set of the playing squad.

For me, some of the players that are leaving haven’t been value for money so I’m relaxed some are moving on.

If all our players had been fit I’m confident we would have beaten Tigers.

Big shout out to Will Rowlands who I thought was excellent yesterday. We will miss him.