Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Tickets  (Read 2460 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Tickets
« on: July 24, 2021, 12:33:42 PM »
Just been online to try to book car park tickets.
Great system won't allow me to enter address because where we live all buildings are named, not numbered - will have to contact ticket office on Monday to let them know about the problem.

However also noticed that all the matches are there. Interesting that they are all at the Coventry Building Society Arena except :

Sat 08 Dec 2018 – 17:30
Wasps v Toulouse
St Helen and St KatherineSchool

which is a private Girls's school in Abingdon ..... :) :) :) :) :) :)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Tickets
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 01:41:35 PM »
Great system won't allow me to enter address because where we live all buildings are named, not numbered - will have to contact ticket office on Monday to let them know about the problem.

However also noticed that all the matches are there. Interesting that they are all at the Coventry Building Society Arena except :

Wasps v Toulouse

I signed up for Now TV earlier (to watch the Lions’ matches) and it had a similar problem. We only have a house name but insisted on a house number as well. The solution was a “-“.

That’s one development company that needs firing. 

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 02:01:19 PM »

Wasps v Toulouse

I signed up for Now TV earlier (to watch the Lions’ matches) and it had a similar problem. We only have a house name but insisted on a house number as well. The solution was a “-“.

That’s one development company that needs firing.

When I was in charge of IT development for a major logistics company that was one of the "must work" items before a web page could be signed-off. Another was that every web page would work the same in all major browsers across Windows/Mac/Linux/IOS/Androd. A pet hate of mine was "well it works in Chrome": Browser choice should be for the user.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 02:26:30 PM »
Roger,

i am amazed that there are still houses in the UK without numbers.. I thought it was a prerequisite with the introduction of postcodes.

Even our little hamlet in France has at last been assigned a building number!!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 07:56:44 AM by Heathen »

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 03:32:53 PM »
Roger,

i am amazed that there are still houses in the UK without numbers.. I thought it was a prerequisite with the introduction of postcodes.

Even our little hamlet in France has at last been assingned a building number!!

The joys of living in rural Buckinghamshire  :)

However in Lanes like ours I pity the poor delivery drivers.

If a road didn't have numbers then new single properties built on it  can have names, unless it is soething like a new Close, when the new buildings must have numbers.  New properties on existing roads with numbers, or new roads, must have numbers, but it is the post office that decides them. Howeverh anyone can add ann optional name, as long as they continue to display and use the number. for deliveries. One thing our neighbours found out was that if you have a house number you can change whatever you call the house whenever you want, but if you just have a name you must request permission from both the Post Office and local Authority to change it.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 03:41:46 PM »
That's soooooooooo Metropolitan, Heathen!!! ;)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 08:22:53 PM »
Someone once told me that there a couple of houses in the parish that  have houses with numbers.  He was drunk tho'.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 10:08:07 PM »
I know years ago a private estate near me were all allocated a number to assist fire service in event of emergency . Out of probably 200 houses I can only recall maybe 10 % actually putting numbers up . If you include houses that don’t have names up or obscured it’s a wonder some houses actually get deliveries or JW’s calling.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 10:29:15 PM »
I used to live in a converted Victorian terrace house in London. There were two flats - Upper and Lower. The Post Office then insisted that there were three flats and numbered them 16a, 16b and 16c! Go figure.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 06:54:32 AM »
The road we live on is about 6 miles long and passes through 3 villages (confusingly there's no distinct boundary marker between 2 of them and they run in to each other), 1 hamlet and a couple of farms.

There's a name at one end on the T-Junction where it starts and somewhere along the road it changes name, again with no sign to say what's happened. I've asked around and even those who've lived here all their lives have no idea.

If they'd started numbering 100 years ago there'd be some numbers that would probably go up to "f" or further along the alphabet so many houses have been slotted in over time.

Our village name is Ansty and there's a total of 5 Ansty's in the area, including lower and higher, but again nobody knows the boundary. The only numbering I know of is when blocks of housing was built - next boor is a set of 5 terraced houses and they have a building name and numbered 1 to 5.

My house happens to be the postcode centroid and as home deliveries took off 10 years or so ago we would regularly get a knock on the door asking where a house was so I quickly learned the house names. The up side of that is when we have visitors we just tell them to punch the postcode into Google maps.

This sort of thing is not unusual in the countryside and the emergency services just have to cope. I had to call 111 a few years ago and they were very good when and asking about my location to send an ambulance and it didn't need much explanation, I guess they have updated digital maps.

chris1850

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 10:34:48 AM »
Some companies now give you the option to put in a WhatThreeeWords reference to assist the delivery driver.

For those who are not familiar with this app, it is an extremely useful tool as it breaks the whole world down into a grid of 3m squares. Each square having its own unique reference of 3 words. You could therefore input heap.worry.tender for example to meet a mate at a specific point outside the stadium.

Worth downloading and having a play with it. Emergency services also starting to use it now as well

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 05:09:33 PM »
The road we live on is about 6 miles long and passes through 3 villages (confusingly there's no distinct boundary marker between 2 of them and they run in to each other), 1 hamlet and a couple of farms.

There's a name at one end on the T-Junction where it starts and somewhere along the road it changes name, again with no sign to say what's happened. I've asked around and even those who've lived here all their lives have no idea.

If they'd started numbering 100 years ago there'd be some numbers that would probably go up to "f" or further along the alphabet so many houses have been slotted in over time.

Our village name is Ansty and there's a total of 5 Ansty's in the area, including lower and higher, but again nobody knows the boundary. The only numbering I know of is when blocks of housing was built - next boor is a set of 5 terraced houses and they have a building name and numbered 1 to 5.

My house happens to be the postcode centroid and as home deliveries took off 10 years or so ago we would regularly get a knock on the door asking where a house was so I quickly learned the house names. The up side of that is when we have visitors we just tell them to punch the postcode into Google maps.

This sort of thing is not unusual in the countryside and the emergency services just have to cope. I had to call 111 a few years ago and they were very good when and asking about my location to send an ambulance and it didn't need much explanation, I guess they have updated digital maps.

Find these sort of sites useful for finding house names

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjLh8jMx_7xAhWHDMAKHSNDC9cQFjABegQIBhAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk%2Fcountryside-coast-parks%2Frights-of-way%2Fdefinitive-map-and-statement%2Fdefinitive-map-and-statement.aspx&usg=AOvVaw28Gz3TJWkoqqMbQrcX84Au

Why house names are included on public right of way maps not sure but is same for Essex where I live. Very handy if planning a walk and want to know  name of house next to footpath to look out for. B in law uses the Essex one regularly for working out diversion routes including footpath closures.

See what you meant about Ansty being stretched out!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 06:14:23 PM »
Thanks Hookender, that’s brilliant.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2021, 09:43:00 PM »
The ambulance and the air ambulance find us.  The only ones who get lost are the police.

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2021, 04:45:22 PM »
The ambulance and the air ambulance find us.  The only ones who get lost are the police.

Wondering what you get up to so you keep needing all three emergency services?