Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Club Statement on Headdresses  (Read 5742 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Club Statement on Headdresses
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 07:11:32 PM »
Well, not surprisingly, it hasn't gone down well amongst the DT readership looking at the comments under the story on this. Mind you the people who comment there tend to be a little right of centre shall we say. We as a club are now 'woke' / 'cancel culture' personified. Personally, I am happy with the club's stance.

I do wonder at the idea of Woke being an insult. If I'm woke, does that mean they're still asleep?

Cancel culture is another classic. I do love it when people with millions of twitter followers etc, get interviews in national papers, exclaiming how they've been cancelled...

MarleyWasp

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 07:49:35 PM »
Cancel culture is another classic. I do love it when people with millions of twitter followers etc, get interviews in national papers, exclaiming how they've been cancelled...

This sums that point up well... https://youtu.be/CPNZTtoQBmA

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 07:52:11 PM »

This sums that point up well... https://youtu.be/CPNZTtoQBmA

Love it :D

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 07:57:34 PM »
Well, not surprisingly, it hasn't gone down well amongst the DT readership looking at the comments under the story on this. Mind you the people who comment there tend to be a little right of centre shall we say. We as a club are now 'woke' / 'cancel culture' personified. Personally, I am happy with the club's stance.

I am also happy with our stance. Besides, I never had a lot in common with 'Angry of Tunbridge Wells'.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2021, 08:17:41 PM »
Dictating what people can and can’t wear is a tricky business. Moves by the Taliban or Chairman Mao to impose a dress code on their people is largely considered draconian. Whereas banning face coverings in France was done in the name of freedom — well, at least until it became necessary to make face coverings a legal requirement. Do the French do irony?

Then there’s the Nazi uniform. Is it just a bored princeling acting an arse, or is it just an arse being an arse? As much as it might disgust wider society, it’s also a helpful signalling device that tells us that the wearer is indeed likely to be an arse and therefore not bothering with. Unless that is, it’s some poor historical reenactment chap on his way home from playing soldiers for the day.

As for the headdress, some might question at what point does fashion become cultural appropriation, or even a lack of fashion (I’m looking at you, the Hawaiian shirts, here). How about the suit and (somewhat formerly) the tie? Widely adopted around the world, is it a form of cultural appropriation?

And, where does the headdress sit in all this?

On the Hawaiian shirt, it’s probably a no (although there are probably a few virtue-signalling wokies that’ll argue otherwise). On the suit, I’d be surprised if anyone thinks it’s anything other than a no. But on the Headdress, it’s a yes, given the views of those from cultures where headdresses originate.

So please Chiefs, leave them at home — at the very least you’ll give someone a better view of the game and to top it off you’ll be doing your bit not to cause offence to another culture.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2021, 08:24:29 PM »
If I saw someone wearing a nazi uniform I'd not only be very offended, but also a little concerned for the safety of my family. I think it's fair to say, that's a point at which it's no longer just an arse signalling themselves as such.

Native americans may not have the same fear over seeing the caricatures, but I have no doubt that they could feel highly offended by it.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 10:44:49 PM »
A very good piece by Wasps. Tells Exeter, and other clubs, we are not happy with the headdress and the tomahawk. Says we are not going to do anything about how Exeter fans dress up on Saturday. But we will be raising the issue with the Premiership with the intention to come to a decision about what is not appropriate.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2021, 09:56:12 AM »
Statement  now on page 3 of Daily Tel. plus picture of 4 blokes dressed up wearing feathered headdresses.  They look very unconvincing.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2021, 12:34:13 PM »
Cup of coffee this morning with a few acquaintances and talking rugby. One football orientated person piped up with "you're the team banning Indians" - he was quickly appraised of the actual situation. The comments on people wearing such attachments in the real world were choice. We moved on to Scottish politics which was far easier.
Let me tell you something cucumber

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2021, 07:55:36 AM »
Cup of coffee this morning with a few acquaintances and talking rugby. One football orientated person piped up with "you're the team banning Indians" - he was quickly appraised of the actual situation. The comments on people wearing such attachments in the real world were choice. We moved on to Scottish politics which was far easier.
:o

Rob Baxter wants people to focus on other things: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/oct/13/rob-baxter-shrugs-off-calls-for-ban-on-exeter-fans-headdresses-as-a-non-story

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2021, 07:59:04 AM »
'Carpet' and 'Brush'?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2021, 09:06:36 AM »
'Carpet' and 'Brush'?

Problem is, it's now become an elephant he's trying to brush under there...

How much easier and smoother would this have been if they'd just said " you're right" and redesigned to a Celtic chief and sold a ton more new merchandise...

Do they really think this is going away?

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2021, 09:25:49 AM »
They had the perfect opportunity the other year to make a positive change. The new mascot proves that they weren't listening.

On the plus side I have a new hobby, doing research for people on social media who can't be bothered to look into something before posting...

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2021, 09:33:53 AM »
They had the perfect opportunity the other year to make a positive change. The new mascot proves that they weren't listening.

On the plus side I have a new hobby, doing research for people on social media who can't be bothered to look into something before posting...

Do it once, post it, and if they ignore it, make a clear statement that you've posted the evidence/research/support etc, so anyone else looking at the argument can see it for what it is, and then get out of there, to save yourself some stress :D.