Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Club Statement on Headdresses  (Read 5739 times)

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Club Statement on Headdresses
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2021, 09:42:21 AM »
To be fair, I'm pretty selective (I don't have time to respond to every idiot who thinks that their pithy response is clever) and I've had positive feedback from those who had read what I linked to.

This is an excellent article I have shared with people:

https://apihtawikosisan.com/hall-of-shame/an-open-letter-to-non-natives-in-headdresses/

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2021, 10:21:28 AM »
A link well worth listening to with relation to this subject (credit to EXDJ on the Exeter Chiefs message board for posting this). It is 1hr 30 mins long but well worth it. I have posted some snippets below, but so much more is contained in the video itself.

https://www.ncai.org/proudtobe

Some quotes from this video from one of the experts Suzan Shown Harjo; President The Morning Star Institute, with reference to sporting teams:

"In professional sports its all about the money, solely about the money, money talks forever! And doesn't talk to anyone that does not have it, ever!"

She also makes the differentiation between educational sporting teams in the U.S that utilise the native American branding;

"Even though there is big money involved in the great educational teams. ..There still is a premium on peoples education and cross cultural understandings, and trying not to create problems....It certainly is hurting our children, while with non native people it seems not to hurt them, I cannot tell you how awful that makes us feel to know that what is very painful to my grandchildren, makes other people who are not native feel great...This is what we are up against".

Maulian Dana; Penobscot Nation.

"I was 15 or 16 years old, I saw a high school basketball game between two teams...the warriors and the Indians....the supporters....all decked out in their fake feathers, their fake war paint. At the time.... as a Penobscot women it was so central to my identity, my culture...to see them so mocked and so disrespected, it made me really angry".

"The more we tell these stories, the more we are benefitting from the racial awakening....We are sovereign entities, and we are saying we matter...and these mascots....we are thinking about how society has been permeated by this constant imagery that doesn't relate to who we are as a living, existing people".

Dr Aaron Payment; 1st vice president, National Congress of American Indians.

"In 2005 the American Psychological Association, called for the immediate retirement of all American mascots, symbols, images and personalities....this position is based on the growing body of social science literature, that shows that the harmful effects of racial stereotyping and inaccurate racial portrayals includes the particularly harmful effects of American Indian sports mascots on the social identity and development and self esteem of native American young people. Continued use of these mascots symbols, images and personalities has a negative effect....especially those that have little or no contact with indigenous people"...it promotes negative images and stereotypes that are promoted in mainstream society".

Dr Leslie Rasmussen; Member, Forest Hills School District Board of Education.

With reference to use of American Native imagery in schools and its ;

"This is a divisive issue....how much a division this was in the schools....inevitably some people will take issue with it, and others didn't care...One of the things....the emails we received from former students who left our little bubble and experienced the world and realised 'oh my goodness' this is not OK, Native Americans are human beings, they are not caricatures for us to mock".

Randy'L Teton; Public Affairs Manager, Shoshone-Bannock Tribes.

With reference from meeting people from schools using these mascots and imagery.

"We were met with very racial people....Alumni from that school were angry that tribes were coming over and trying to take that heritage away from them. I felt like who's heritage are you trying to be respectful to?...We Indian people are saying its not ok to wear feathers and paint your face up".

These are just snippets and there is much much more in the video to listen to....but well worth spending an hour and a half of your time to listen to.

This is why I am fully in support of Wasps raising this issue.

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2021, 10:29:27 AM »
They had the perfect opportunity the other year to make a positive change. The new mascot proves that they weren't listening.

On the plus side I have a new hobby, doing research for people on social media who can't be bothered to look into something before posting...

Based on the above I looked up the new mascot - who appears to be known as Tom Hawk.  I am not offended but I am absolutely astonished. 
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2021, 10:30:57 AM »
How much easier and smoother would this have been if they'd just said " you're right" and redesigned to a Celtic chief and sold a ton more new merchandise...

exactly.
I think I commented on here at the time that what a great commercial decision (putting aside everything else) it would have been to change everything then. Die hard fans would have snapped up the remaining merch & the new stuff would have sold by the ton.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2021, 10:32:22 AM »
thanks Wombles.

Sadly the people who don't understand why this might be offensive are the ones who won't read or watch stuff that explains exactly why it is!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2021, 11:00:18 AM »
They had the perfect opportunity the other year to make a positive change. The new mascot proves that they weren't listening.

On the plus side I have a new hobby, doing research for people on social media who can't be bothered to look into something before posting...

Based on the above I looked up the new mascot - who appears to be known as Tom Hawk.  I am not offended but I am absolutely astonished.

Not Tom Hawk, but Tom-A-Hawk I believe... at least that's how they originally introduced him. His twitter account was deleted within a few hours, so maybe they had a meeting, and felt that by removing the A, it became extremely respectful....

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2021, 11:43:45 AM »
Tom O'Hawk, a Celt.  Apparently.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2021, 12:03:59 PM »

Described as Tom-a-hawk here https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/exeter-chiefs-new-mascot-tom-a-hawk-during-the-rugby-news-photo/1235201480

They are starting to come across like spoilt children who have been told they can't have something they want

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2021, 12:07:15 PM »

Described as Tom-a-hawk here https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/exeter-chiefs-new-mascot-tom-a-hawk-during-the-rugby-news-photo/1235201480

They are starting to come across like spoilt children who have been told they can't have something they want

There was a @TomaHawKExeter  twitter account, that posted up footage of him coming down a zipwire in a preseason friendly against Munster. tweeting his new arrival.

It's not clear it was actually run by Exeter, but they've never denied it. It was live for the introduction (how would a random fan know?), and had footage etc. Plenty of photos from that game have the same Tom A Hawk notation too.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/exeter-chiefs-tony-rowe-lashes-5957181

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile

hopwood

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2021, 06:43:33 PM »
Watching thousands of Newcastle football fans today.

They’re trying to covey their thanks to their new owner and his country of origin.

King Prawn Phuna

• Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2021, 10:02:48 AM »
Out of curiosity were there many faux Native American headdresses at this weekend's match watch on the TV it didn't seem to strike that much of a rebellion?
The older I get the faster I was....

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2021, 10:04:41 AM »
Out of curiosity were there many faux Native American headdresses at this weekend's match watch on the TV it didn't seem to strike that much of a rebellion?

I don't recollect seeing any on the telly and the producer studiously didn't zoom into any of them that were there. Perhaps they left the dead chickens at home.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2021, 10:15:13 AM »
I thought the section about cultural appropriation discussed on Rugby Tonight with 2 Native Americans living in the UK was very informative and well presented.

It definitely tried to educate rather than give knee jerk opinion based on lack of knowledge and emotion.