Always a Wasp

Author Topic: No England thread?  (Read 2358 times)

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
No England thread?
« on: November 21, 2021, 01:34:01 AM »
I was a bit late to watching this due to the time difference where I am.

Just watched it back but no thread here at all? Perhaps indicative of my feelings on the game that I just wasn’t that bothered.

I was watching it on premier sports Asia with Martin Gillingham and Thinus Delport on commentary - at the end discussing the ‘tactical masterclass’ of Eddie Jones and how that is exactly the type of test match rugby we want to watch….

Not sure about that.
Thought Eddie was almost found out tactically with the 6-2 bench split almost backfiring yet again again when Tuilagi inevitably got crocked.
 His inexperienced hooker coming in ahead of many other candidates and then blowing three or four line outs almost costing the game.
To his credit Jones gloriously hauled Youngs off but then having an exciting 9/10 axis and then them not actually playing any rugby until we were behind with five mins to go.
The ball went wide noticeably quicker without Farrell around, both Slade and Smith playing with more freedom and responsibility.

Main talking point for me was the referee. Thought Ewels was very lucky to stay on and whilst the commentary team I was listening to didn’t really delve into it, to me that wasn’t referreed as we have seen recently in Europe. This could have swayed the match. Perhaps Ewells couldn’t do anything but like Kolisi said at the time the players must still be protected. I wonder if Etzebeth would have been knocked out with that whether the decision would have been any different and then it would have been turned to being a decision on outcome.
Definitely some interesting calls at the breakdown for both sides.

A horrible example again of two coaches who firmly believe it is better to play test rugby without the ball and frustratingly with the referee at the breakdown this did prove to be the case. I’m hoping the Wales and France matches are a little more open as I move on to them.
I imagine SA will feel a little aggrieved but what a year of rugby they have had.
Eddie will probably have an even bigger chip on his shoulder now but at least some of the old guard have been moved on and the likes of Smith and Dombrandt are being picked on form and a gem like Steward has been unearthed.

Looking forward to Europe and the Premiership being back.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 03:11:39 AM by JonnyD »

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: No England thread?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 06:16:34 AM »
I suppose part of the reason for no England thread is no Wasps player playing or in contention. It sounds parochial but it is a forum for Wasps rugby discussions.

After a bright start England went in to their shell and SA slowly took a grip of the game. The penalty count tells the story but in the end it was a gutsy performance by England. I thought it was a fair call on Ewels and a card would have been very harsh. It was also a tough call on tough call Kolisi, but that's the way the game is being referred. If you're going in for the high ball and aren't in a perfect position you risk getting pinged and carded. We complain about the kicking but as the old saying goes: incentives matter.

I am no fan of Youngs but I thought he had a reasonable game, mixing up the kicking, sniping and distribution well, at least in the first 20 minutes, after that they didn't get enough front foot ball for him to make much of an impact.

On Twitter Rugby on Line reckoned Eddie gave a good interview to the Amazon commentators. I don't usually watch post match interviews, too much emotion and too many trite questions to offer much insight.

bournender2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 07:46:00 AM »
" suppose part of the reason for no England thread is no Wasps player playing or in contention. It sounds parochial but it is a forum for Wasps rugby discussions."

Yes was thinking post match that only Wasps and Worcester (think Im right?) had no representation in the 23? Could be considered a good thing, to have such a broad representation of the other clubs - suspect good for marketing.

Hopefully only temporary in our case until we get some of our bodies back on the pitch?

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 07:49:33 AM »
It’s a funny old game.  I think at the moment some of the selections within the England Squad (namely Farrell perhaps) and Jones’ attitude at times simply turns many people off and no matter what happens it’s the same negativity (not really on this thread, just in general).

Whilst we laboured past Australia, thought we were good value for the win yesterday and it was a proper Test Match.

Thought we looked good in the first half and largely had the answers to South Africa’s defence and set-piece capabilities and the Boks struggled to assert the dominance expected to see on paper.  The arrival of the bomb squad changed that.

They began to systematically dismantle our set-piece and tackled so brutally that we struggled for momentum.  It’s not that often you see someone like Marler get chewed up and spat out in pretty much every tackle, or see Itoje dumped.

After that penalty to take the lead I honestly don’t think we’d have found a way back if it were Farrell on the pitch and not Smith.  You could see the intent; looking for gaps, working the defence, playing with both pace and more importantly instinct.

To kick that penalty at the end, even if a relatively easy kick in the grand scheme of things, was a good test of Marcus’ mental strength.

Lastly, a word of Youngs.  I know we’ve had the discussion over and over but I’m still head-scratching how he is likely to end up with the most England caps of all-time cap and that we’ve effectively skipped a generation (ok not with Care perhaps) or not seeing what Care, Robson and Spencer could have done to have helped speed up the game for England.

It’s good to see Quirke early on and think he and van Poortlivet and long international careers ahead of them (More so than Randall or Mitchell IMO), but think any one of Care, Robson or Spencer could have steered the ship better than Youngs in the last couple of years.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 07:53:13 AM »
Forgot to ask… the biggest talking point from yesterday's game has to be: Where does this leave Farrell?

He’s obviously injured until the 6N, so is perhaps a doubt for that.  But longer-term, does the arrival of Marcus signal the twilight for Farrell - Is it a coincidence that a Smith/Slade 10/12 looked much more natural than Smith/Faz against easier opposition?

Will Faz be the de facto 10, 12 or second choice 10? It just feels like from what you hear about Smith that there’s not enough room for both of them who see and play the game differently to be on the pitch at the same time.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 08:18:27 AM »
I found the game quite dull and nodded off several times. I think we were lucky that SA missed a few kicks. Result could very well have been quite different otherwise. With that Jones got lucky.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 08:44:33 AM »
I get everyone here hates EJ and England (albeit you guys obviously don't want to), but even you've got to admit what England did was fantastic.

I'll admit EJ still using Youngs is frustrating. But we beat SA using attacking rugby, Gleeson style. I loved it. It's clear since Quins, France and England now there's a swing to attacking rugby rather than defensive. It meant we delivered a great performance against a dull defensive team. 3 tries to 1 I mean come on! Plus it was all Smith, Quirke, Steward, Rodd and more. I liked our performance and think when some injured players return we'll be contenders for 6N.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 08:46:14 AM »
“ Forgot to ask… the biggest talking point from yesterday's game has to be: Where does this leave Farrell? ”

Do you mean where should this leave Farrell or where will it leave Farrell?

It should mean he has to get fit and prove himself and earn his place back. The reality is that Jones will continue to see him as the centre of England and the team and tactics will be adjusted to fit him as soon as he his fit, probably at 12.

Whilst I still think he’s good enough to keep his place, Itoje’s star waned a bit in the past couple of games. Have international teams worked him out?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 09:06:07 AM »
A couple of points. This game had the "EJ miracle result" written all over it just like the Japan win over SA, Aus over NZ in the RWC 2003 and our win over NZ last RWC (but to name a few) Jones seems able to get his sides to win games - that are often ones that they aren't expected to.

As for England under Jones, they do seem to bear the tag of favourite less easily than underdog. It does seem - for obvious reasons - that England play better when the pressure is "off" a little. What has often troubled England is backing up good results. Like the RWC Final, or the 2021 6Ns when a good win vs France was followed by being handed our arses by Ireland, a team with 14 men for much of the game.

The key matter was the backline being able to deliver going forwards - looked - obviously - a little more Wasps-a-like. I hope that England start Malins - I think him coming on may have won the game with his positioning and covering. Decide who and how they want their centres to play and perhaps look to play an 8......I don't get Lawes at 6 nor Curry at 8.

The forwards contributed a shed load of penalties yesterday. Something that they were doing too often in 6Ns 2020, when this backrow was the preferred starting grouping. And another ref would have had us down a man early doors and not just once....

What gets me about England is the conversations by supporters BTL in the papers etc, where too many think this is some sort of indication that "England is back". We've been down this route in Autumn Internationals before....England were abject too often in the last 6Ns and visit Scotland and Paris next year. We'll get a better feel then.

This was one to raise a glass to, enjoy and not get too over excited....The Official stats suggest a game that SA played a lot like they do when they win (turnovers, tackles, penalties forced etc) and would not have been out of place in them winning. England will play better and lose and SA, visa versa.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 09:30:43 AM »
We tried to play. I hope that this is Eddie working out that you beat SA like Australia try to, not by arm wrestling.
We were a little  lucky to win overall, but the first 40 was very good.
Worrying that the set piece was so one sided though. SA are masters of the scrum, to be fair.
I would like to see more from them, their rise to the top has not been good to watch, no team should not get as much reward as they do from the scrum.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 11:19:41 AM »
I think some of the lack of interest is definitely down to the “out of sight, out of mind” factor. To see club, international and Lions rugby you’d now have to subscribe to three or four channels. Many will choose just one (BT Sport) in my case. If you can’t watch it you don’t get into it as much.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 11:55:58 AM »
Good point Shugs.
No highlights outside of youtube and Amazon only will have reduced interest. I am not that parochial that I only want to see Engkand with Wasps players in,  the internationals this weekend have been fascinating.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 12:04:33 PM »
Whilst I still think he’s good enough to keep his place, Itoje’s star waned a bit in the past couple of games. Have international teams worked him out?

Never really understood the love in for Itoje.
He is good but he is a penalty magnet and was lucky again yesterday, the handbags at one point in the 2nd half was escalated by him running round to hit a player on the ground, something the SA 23 was blamed for.

The constant whooping is also very annoying!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 01:19:03 PM »

He is good but he is a penalty magnet and was lucky again yesterday, the handbags at one point in the 2nd half was escalated by him running round to hit a player on the ground, something the SA 23 was blamed for.

Yes. For some time now, I have mentally nick named him 'the pom-pom girl'.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2021, 02:01:57 PM »

Yes. For some time now, I have mentally nick named him 'the pom-pom girl'.

I don't like him. He persistently cheats, playing the percentages each game, using the same cheat in each game enough to get away without getting a yellow.