Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Anthony Watson off from Bath, but where?  (Read 5417 times)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Anthony Watson off from Bath, but where?
« on: December 30, 2021, 06:09:20 PM »
He doesn't know, but doesn't want to stay.

About as fragile/available as Marcus, and probably wants a big salary. Can't see anybody snapping him up. These days it is about VFM, and an expensive player who is not often wearing your shirt is not what you want.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Watson off from Bath, but where?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 06:31:54 PM »
I was wondering this...

If he wants a big salary and doesn't care about league position I'm shocked he left Bath! Alternative is Worcester. No idea where else would have him.

I mean if Minozzi and Marcus Watson leave then potentially us, but given his injury record I hope not. Rather spend cash elsewhere in the squad.

Might take sabbatical overseas. With players like Radwan coming through, why not? He's young enough.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 06:33:10 PM »
No not us please.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 06:38:55 PM »
Only three possibilities I can see. Japan, France or Sarries.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 06:57:34 PM »
Only three possibilities I can see. Japan, France or Sarries.

I think Sarries think themselves adequately stocked for next year already, all buttoned down in contracts. Anybody who does leave them, Sarries already know about. I also imagine most teams have done the same, which is why Bath have let him go. They feel they have the right balance in their squad without him. I also seriously doubt any French team would want him, indeed they too are likely all buttoned up.

I cannot see him being a good fit in Japan, but a USA based team might take a punt, at maybe a tenth of his current contract? And he might feel that is not worth it.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 07:27:15 PM »
With Miller almost back ,and Atkinson , with Crossdale slotting in nicely, I am happy with our cover at full back. Don’t forget Cameron Anderson in background too.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 08:04:42 PM »
I reckon he could find a French team willing to pay too much for him. 4 Lions caps and a starter in a world cup final... There'll be some rich benefactor eager to throw money at him.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 10:20:59 PM »
He isn't injury prone, he's had an Achilles injury that went south.
You wont find more injury prone players than Miller or Marcus. Miller is always injured without actually playing and Marcus has been out for long spells multiple times.
Money aside, i'd take him over both, also over Minozzi. The killer is he's away with England, for that reason plus a decent salary, i'd have to pass, but only for those reasons.
I doubt he'll go aboard, it's a misconception that it's $ utopia, especially given the 250k he'll earn a year with Eng....
He's the kind of player you have to make space for, be interesting to see where he end's up..I can see a fit at Saints, they'll be losing Bit T who's on a wedge apparently, plus Collins may be out of contract...but that's just a guess.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 07:25:51 AM »

I agree.
On ability alone, I'd have him in a heart beat.

But availability is the issue - whether it be injuries or England.

It's going to be a tough balancing act for a couple of years.
Every club wants the best players, but the best will likely have the least availability

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 07:53:23 AM »
I would rather have our focus on recruiting a couple of below the radar centres, who quickly establish themselves as first team players, like Frosty has at hooker.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 08:51:11 AM »

I agree.

Every club wants the best players, but the best will likely have the least availability

With the cap so much lower, clubs now face the prospect of having to release or forgo likely international players in favour of second string players who have, on paper, less chance of a call up. With only one marquee allowed, we will also see less non EQPs. In a way both are good for the Premiership, and likely to lead to a larger pool of players for Eddie to call on. Whilst we can all see that players will want to play for their national team, now most such aspirations will be whispered about, for fear of the implications at contract renewal time. Having an England International squad players in your squad is now an expensive luxury clubs cannot afford. I would say it is fortunate that Eddie seems to favour players from certain teams, and one of those is not Wasps.

I do think we will be at risk, as a nation, of losing International talent when clubs don't want to sign them when they become available. The mere fact that Watson has no team to go to is what I think will become more common. I also think Ford and Genge were both fortunate to find clubs to sign them. Some will not be so lucky.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 09:15:48 AM »

I agree.

With the cap so much lower, clubs now face the prospect of having to release or forgo likely international players in favour of second string players who have, on paper, less chance of a call up. With only one marquee allowed, we will also see less non EQPs. In a way both are good for the Premiership, and likely to lead to a larger pool of players for Eddie to call on. Whilst we can all see that players will want to play for their national team, now most such aspirations will be whispered about, for fear of the implications at contract renewal time. Having an England International squad players in your squad is now an expensive luxury clubs cannot afford. I would say it is fortunate that Eddie seems to favour players from certain teams, and one of those is not Wasps.

I do think we will be at risk, as a nation, of losing International talent when clubs don't want to sign them when they become available. The mere fact that Watson has no team to go to is what I think will become more common. I also think Ford and Genge were both fortunate to find clubs to sign them. Some will not be so lucky.
Good points, but of course current players have high salary expectations and nobody likes taking a pay cut.  Over time you players will have to set their pay expectations set lower if they want to play for England. 

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 10:14:25 AM »
I haven't a clue where Watson will end up but Barf supporters also think Jonathan Joseph is off too, in which case I'd like us to put an offer in to him if Fekitoa leaves us at the end of this season.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 10:20:26 AM »
I've seen these sentiments that we should sign Joseph elsewhere, u really don't get why. Talented player, but terribly injury prone.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 10:51:21 AM »
I’ve never really got the fuss about Watson. A good winger - yes. But to be honest I’d bracket him with the likes of Bassett, O’Flaherty, Thorley and others. He may be a tiny step up on what we’ve got but availability and likely cost make it a non-starter for me. Joseph has more appeal but I agree with a point made above in that on balance I’d prefer a hungry prospect. Assuming we retain most apart from maybe Fekitoa and those in the nicest sense that we choose to lose I think we only really need to recruit at centre - but we need two.