Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England squad  (Read 3041 times)

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
England squad
« on: February 02, 2022, 11:10:46 AM »
Has now been reduced to 29 players, I know EJ does a lot of stupid stuff but I’m finding this squad very odd.

The 2nd row is difficult to fathom. He has itoje, which is obvious, then his other choices are Chessum, Ewels and maybe Isiekwe, who may even have to play in the back row.

I know it’s good for us but how the hell is Chessum and Ewels ahead of Stooke.

Also back row, curry at 7 is fine and Dombrant and simmonds at 8 fine. 6 is a big problem, does EJ really believe that Isiekwe is the best 6 available. Again best for us but on what planet is Isiekwe better than Alfie or Brad at 6. I appreciate Isiekwe can play 2nd row as well but I personally feel he isn’t our best choice anyway.

I would like to see Jack Nowell and Max Malins on the wing because he has let all the good one go. I should imagine it will be Daly.

I would like England to do well but I’m struggling to see us get pass Scotland, Ireland and France
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 01:18:13 PM by Westy68 »

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: England squad
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 11:20:12 AM »

Eddie doesn't pick on current form, he has his own formula.

Again best for us but on what planet is Isiekwe better than Alfie at 6.

They said that Alfie wasn't able to train at full intensity until the final session because of a hamstring problem. Also, Lee has made it clear that he thinks Alfie's workload needs to be carefully managed to avoid more problems. To that end I think we can see Alfie on the bench at, at best, against Chiefs if Eddie didn't overdo it in that final session.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 11:23:52 AM »

Eddie doesn't pick on current form, he has his own formula.

Yes. It's called the hat and folded up bits of paper :)

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 01:00:17 PM »
You missed out Lewis Ludlum from the back row options.
I suspect EJ will go with Maro & Ewels as locks with Isiekwe at 6, Curry at 7 & Dombrandt at 8.
with Ludlum & Simmonds on the bench.
Not what I would have done but I'm not the head coach!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 01:22:59 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised if EJ goes Isiekwe at 6, Ludlum at 7 and curry at 8.

As he doesn’t like to be told that was a stupid idea in the autumn internationals

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 01:48:07 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised if EJ goes Isiekwe at 6, Ludlum at 7 and curry at 8.

As he doesn’t like to be told that was a stupid idea in the autumn internationals

How can Isiekwe be no where near the squad for so long,( I can see improvements in Hill despite his regular brain fades, but Ewells has really done nothing for years) and now Isiekwe could be the best 6 available in England. Unbelievable. I actually think he’s a good player and people forget how young he is still but Eddie really is on another planet with how he treats players

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 05:10:42 PM »
With the 29 picked I would like to see

15 Freddie Steward
14 Joe Marchant/ Jack Nowell (if Covid has effected Joe)
13 Henry Slade
12 Mark Atkinson
11 Max Malins
10 Marcus Smith
9 Ben Youngs

1 Joe Marler
2 Luke Cowan-Dickie
3 Kyle Sinckler
4 Maro Itoje
5 Ollie Chessum
6 Nick Isiekwe
7 Tom Curry
8 Alex Dombrandt

If it was down to me I would have Brad at 6 and Stooke instead of Chessum, Dan instead of Ben as Quirke is injured

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 05:44:15 PM »
It’s Eddie. Anything could happen. I think he’ll continue with his ridiculous lock at 6 and Curry at 8 selection. 7? Who knows. Marcus Smith?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 09:26:05 AM »
It’s Eddie. Anything could happen. I think he’ll continue with his ridiculous lock at 6 and Curry at 8 selection. 7? Who knows. Marcus Smith?

Don't think he has enough locks in his remaining squad for that luxury.

Suspect it'll be Slade at 12 and Marchant 13, but no point trying to 2nd guess Eddie.   Won't be seeing Barbeary at 13 though! :)

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 09:39:45 AM »

Don't think he has enough locks in his remaining squad for that luxury.

Suspect it'll be Slade at 12 and Marchant 13, but no point trying to 2nd guess Eddie.   Won't be seeing Barbeary at 13 though! :)

Marchant is undergoing a covid test this morning.  If he's out the Daly could be 13?

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 11:37:58 AM »
Here it is! Tom Curry will captain England as they open their Six Nations campaign against Scotland. Nick Isiekwe gets the nod alongside Maro Itoje at lock, Lewis Ludlam replaces Courtney Lawes and Sam Simmonds is selected at No. 8.

In the backs, Joe Marchant returns from Covid isolation to start at wing, with Elliot Daly partnering Henry Slade in midfield. Marcus Smith starts at fly-half alongside Ben Youngs.

15. Freddie Steward 14. Max Malins 13. Elliot Daly 12. Henry Slade 11. Joe Marchant 10. Marcus Smith 9. Ben Youngs 1. Ellis Genge 2. Luke Cowan-Dickie 3. Kyle Sinckler 4. Maro Itoje 5. Nick Isiekwe 6. Lewis Ludlam 7. Tom Curry (c) 8. Sam Simmonds

Finishers: 16. Jamie George 17. Joe Marler 18. Will Stuart 19. Charlie Ewels 20. Alex Dombrandt 21. Harry Randall 22. George Ford 23. Jack Nowell

The center partnership is a problem
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 11:44:11 AM by Westy68 »

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 12:02:33 PM »
Is that... only one player out of position (Slade).

Although Eddie probably thinks he's playing a fullback at outside centre and a flanker or two in the second row.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 12:05:51 PM »
Is that... only one player out of position (Slade).

Although Eddie probably thinks he's playing a fullback at outside centre and a flanker or two in the second row.

And Marchant, and, arguably, Isiekwe...

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 12:07:17 PM »
Did hear he was considering using Catherine when she turned up for training, but sadly she had to withdraw due to a hamstring injury.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 12:22:51 PM »
Slade was quality at 12 last time and really showcased his class and subsequently all of the things Farrell cannot do in the position like fizzing out 30yard passes for try assists.

This is a good looking team but why has it taken so long to get here. All those years of Daly not playing at 13, a few years of trying curry at 8 when Dombrandt and Simmons in particular could have been improving.

Still do not think Randall is anywhere near this level yet but pleased Isiekwe has edged Ewells for the time being