Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams Up for Bath  (Read 2993 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Teams Up for Bath
« on: September 22, 2022, 12:00:46 PM »
Men’s Head Coach Lee Blackett has named his side to take on Bath Rugby at The Rec in Round 3 of the Gallagher Premiership on Friday 23 September, kick off 7.45pm.

Jacob Umaga makes his much anticipated return from injury as he joins the starting line up at full back.

Following an impressive display on Tuesday night vs Newcastle Falcons, Francois Hougaard starts at 14, with Josh Bassett at 11.

Sam Spink and Burger Odendaal form the centre partnership, with Charlie Atkinson and Will Porter linking up at half-backs.

Dan Frost makes his first start of the season and will line up alongside Tom West and Biyi Alo in the front row.

Captain Joe Launchbury links up with Kiran McDonald in the second row, with Nizaam Carr, Jack Willis and Tom Willis in the back row to complete the pack.

Amongst the replacements, Gabriel Oghre features in the squad for the first time this season. Tim Cardall is also set to make his 50th Wasps appearance should he feature in Friday’s game.

Wasps team to face Bath Rugby at The Rec on Friday 23 September, kick off 7.45pm.

1          Tom West

2          Dan Frost

3          Biyi Alo

4          Joe Launchbury (c)

5          Kiran McDonald 

6          Nizaam Carr

7          Jack Willis

8          Tom Willis

9          Will Porter

10        Charlie Atkinson

11        Josh Bassett 

12        Burger Odendaal

13        Sam Spink 

14        Francois Hougaard

15        Jacob Umaga 

Replacements

16       Gabriel Oghre 

17       Robin Hislop

18       John Ryan 

19       Tim Cardall

20       Ben Morris

21       Dan Robson

22       Ryan Mills

23       Zach Kibirige   
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Teams Up for Bath
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 12:03:11 PM »
BATH: 15 Tom de Glanville, 14 Joe Cokanasiga, 13 Jonathan Joseph, 12 Max Ojomoh, 11 Will Muir, 10 Orlando Bailey, 9 Louis Schreuder; 1 Lewis Boyce, 2 Tom Dunn ©, 3 Will Stuart, 4 Dave Attwood, 5 Josh McNally, 6 Miles Reid, 7 Chris Cloete, 8 Richard de Carpentier

Replacements: 16 Tom Doughty, 17 Juan Schoeman, 18 Aranos Coetzee, 19 Quinn Roux, 20 GJ van Velze, 21 Max Green, 22 Piers Francis, 23 Josh Bayliss
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 12:03:24 PM »
Pretty much as touted. I’m not a big fan of our SH policy at the minute - not really sure why we’re doing that. Glad to see Hougaard start on the wing.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 12:09:37 PM »
..... and T Willis back where he belongs at 8.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 12:09:51 PM »
Good luck to Jacob. Straight back in at 15.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

FishingWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 12:15:01 PM »
Still no Odogwu?. And seems a strange strategy at SH to me. (though I thought DanR was below his best v Bristol)
Good to see TomW where he belongs at 8.
Going to be difficult to call, what with this week's developments.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 12:16:48 PM by FishingWasp »

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 12:15:15 PM »
Good luck to Jacob. Straight back in at 15.

Will he take the kicking as well?  He's probably a shade more reliable that Atkinson.  Might Hougaard be an option there?

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 12:18:39 PM »
Very pleased to see Nemo on the pitch from the start. Obviously it's the result of an injury to Alfie, which isn't good, but I'm a big fan of Nemo and thought he looked sharp when he came on last week.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 12:22:21 PM »
I would have been tempted to give Feyi-Waboso a bench slot after Tuesday's performance, rather than Kibirige.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 12:25:19 PM »
Good to see TomW where he belongs at 8.

Also good to see (the other) TomW back at 1!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 12:30:32 PM »
Very pleased to see Nemo on the pitch from the start. Obviously it's the result of an injury to Alfie, which isn't good, but I'm a big fan of Nemo and thought he looked sharp when he came on last week.

Obviously Alfie's injury is not good news, but even with Alfie fit and available, I think we're looking at our best possible starting back row there (allowing for Brad's injury).  I think Lee had maybe been guilty of starting Alfie at all costs, sometimes to the detriment of the team.  Tom W is our best 8 by a distance, so made no sense to displace him just to accommodate Alfie.  However good Alfie is and may go on to be, as it stands he hasn't made any position his own.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2022, 12:30:39 PM »
A pleasant new thread to read.

Not sure whether everyone will be up for this mentally but Bath being out opposition is probably the best we could have hoped for apart from Worcester.

Good to see West start this time and after watching the Bristol game back again I think Porter was decent and Robson poor off the bench so not a massive issue with this selection, especially as Ben Spencer isn’t involved for them.

Good luck to Jacob coming back in, the problem is that our attacking systems will change yet again.
He isn’t a run it back attacking threat like Crossdale, in fact as we saw last year he regularly got turned over doing this. He’ll want to be in as first of second receiver, which then takes away some of the good stuff we’ve seen from Atkinson and Odendaal. Will see what happens here i guess

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2022, 12:35:47 PM »
Pretty much as touted. I’m not a big fan of our SH policy at the minute - not really sure why we’re doing that. Glad to see Hougaard start on the wing.
Agree with that - I really think that unless he's unfit, Dan needs to be given responsibility and asked to provide leadeship.

Backrow looks a good balance and my preference at 8 given the games we've seen from Tom in recent seasons even when we've not been at our best. The pack ought to be good enough. Let's hope we play as a team and look to do some of the dull stuff, better.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2022, 12:41:19 PM »
I hadn’t thought about it until now but I like having Hougaard on the pitch. He’s got loads of experience and seems to be a much better leader than Zach.

I agree with others about the back row, it must be causing their defensive coaches headaches.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2022, 12:41:36 PM »
As defensively excellent as Hougaard is, he’s not my idea of a threatening winger. Selection seems all over the shop to me.