Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rumours  (Read 10090 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 09:20:20 PM »
You can't talk to a player, you can talk to his agent.

So whilst the contract can't be signed, everything can be setup.
I can see how the letter of the law is preserved, but it's hardly in the spirit is it?

Next well have teams breaking the salary cap and defending it with a spurious legal loophole...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Mrs. Peter Quinn

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 11:09:14 PM »
Turn its are in the Sunday Mail and on the website. Got of the Mail is close to he who erc.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-worcester-warriors-settle-coventry-11627796

Looks like the problem was mainly sovled a while ago but it seems the main bone of contention is who gets to link up with Warwick School who are one of the top rugby schools in the country and have probably got better training facilities than Wasps themselves currently.

Wasps proposed training facilitiy is only about 4 miles from that school.

As a result a few of Warwick U18's also play at Old Leamingtonians RFC.. which is where the proposed new Wasps training site is going to be.

I wouldn't be at all suprised if the school themselves ask to be moved within the Wasps catchment area.

As to Cips. . the DM article is a somewhat unclear. It says Cips contract ends next year.. so does that mean at the end of this season or actually at the end of next season? I still can't see Toulon or Clermont signing him though.

That's interesting - I'm an old Warwickian myself and when I was in school our best talent was going to trials at Worcester and that seemed a fairly fixed arrangement. So I can see that it would cause problems if Wasps are seen to be encroaching on that.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 11:45:45 PM »
Turn its are in the Sunday Mail and on the website. Got of the Mail is close to he who erc.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-worcester-warriors-settle-coventry-11627796

Looks like the problem was mainly sovled a while ago but it seems the main bone of contention is who gets to link up with Warwick School who are one of the top rugby schools in the country and have probably got better training facilities than Wasps themselves currently.

Wasps proposed training facilitiy is only about 4 miles from that school.

As a result a few of Warwick U18's also play at Old Leamingtonians RFC.. which is where the proposed new Wasps training site is going to be.

I wouldn't be at all suprised if the school themselves ask to be moved within the Wasps catchment area.

As to Cips. . the DM article is a somewhat unclear. It says Cips contract ends next year.. so does that mean at the end of this season or actually at the end of next season? I still can't see Toulon or Clermont signing him though.

That's interesting - I'm an old Warwickian myself and when I was in school our best talent was going to trials at Worcester and that seemed a fairly fixed arrangement. So I can see that it would cause problems if Wasps are seen to be encroaching on that.

Your dad isn't James Quinn is it?

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 08:37:13 AM »
Looking at Twitter this morning and Naholo has been mentioned as a possible signing. It would be post RWC if it happened.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 10:15:30 AM »
Said it before on DW but I really hope we don’t sign Naholo.
Yes he would get bums on seats, scare defenders and potentially score a try out of nothing, but our problems start a lot further in field at the moment.
We have a British lion wing and one of the best fbs in the world and they are not getting anything in the wide channels at the moment.
Would prefer the money invested elsewhere and bring in another decent prem player on the wing and bring though a younger player there instead.

Mrs. Peter Quinn

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 12:29:09 PM »
So,

Don't hate the messenger and I don't think this will happen, but in the papers today it was reported that Warren Gatland had no concrete job offers but had had communication with several premiership clubs...

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 12:40:22 PM »
Yes saw that and wondered! Not sure which clubs might be talking to him now.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Mrs. Peter Quinn

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 12:58:49 PM »
Yeah I don't think there's many teams at all who would
Newcastle? To go from playoffs to bottom is not a happy situation for any club..
I doubt Wuss would risk rocking the boat to any degree when they're off bottom
Bristol must be pretty happy with Lam
Murphy recently signed an epic deal for Leicester...
Not many candidate clubs at all

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 01:30:01 PM »
We're upset that we don't have Wade to help create magic, and scare defences into being a bit more thinly spread, but then think we don't want Naholo?  I think he could be very handy coming in off his wing, he's not slow either. I'd be happy to see him, equally I'd not be too upset if he didn't come. With Fekitoa and JdJ as centres, I think we'll be fine there.

I do worry about the EQP numbers a bit though.

As for Gatland, why not? He's a very solid coach, he's adaptable to the personnel he has, and seems to be embracing a more attacking philosophy with Wales. The only question is the relationship between him and Dai, or Dai is leaving. I'd be upset with Dai going, but Gatland coming in would neutralise that.

With the ever increasing Highlanders influence, I'd not be upset with Jamie Joseph, or even Aaron Mauger either (Mauger to act as head coach under Dai DoR though I think).

Mrs. Peter Quinn

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 01:55:44 PM »
We're upset that we don't have Wade to help create magic, and scare defences into being a bit more thinly spread, but then think we don't want Naholo?  I think he could be very handy coming in off his wing, he's not slow either. I'd be happy to see him, equally I'd not be too upset if he didn't come. With Fekitoa and JdJ as centres, I think we'll be fine there.

I do worry about the EQP numbers a bit though.

As for Gatland, why not? He's a very solid coach, he's adaptable to the personnel he has, and seems to be embracing a more attacking philosophy with Wales. The only question is the relationship between him and Dai, or Dai is leaving. I'd be upset with Dai going, but Gatland coming in would neutralise that.

With the ever increasing Highlanders influence, I'd not be upset with Jamie Joseph, or even Aaron Mauger either (Mauger to act as head coach under Dai DoR though I think).

Agree with all of that. It's not that I wouldn't want Gatland - I'd take him in a heartbeat but that's not to say I want Dai out. I just think there is a massive lure to someone with his history with Wasps.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 02:16:07 PM »
Not sure why Gatland having history with Wasps would make any difference. The Wasps he left to go back to NZ bears little resemblance to the Wasps of today. Are there any players left that he would have coached? I doubt it. Any back room staff, maybe one or two but Wasps have been through a lot of personnel since he was here last.

Mrs. Peter Quinn

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2019, 02:49:55 PM »
Gatland crossed over with a great number of others who I'd gladly bring back to the club, both for their skills in what they do and rebuilding that sense of identify of guys who have been wasps.
Just one example is Worsley who worked with Gatland over some years and who I think it'd be great to have working within our coaching system.
He also can link us to a wider team of coaches who would benefit us (not Howley).

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2019, 03:02:54 PM »
some kind of Gatland, Kinga, Worsley, Edwards combination would have heritage... but I'm more than happy with Dai in charge and I can't see it working with both Dai and Gatland.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2019, 12:55:33 PM »
So,

Don't hate the messenger and I don't think this will happen, but in the papers today it was reported that Warren Gatland had no concrete job offers but had had communication with several premiership clubs...

The RFU should break the bank to get Gatland as Jones’ post-World Cup replacement

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 02:34:40 PM »
So,

The RFU should break the bank to get Gatland as Jones’ post-World Cup replacement

Can't argue with that. It would be a very interesting change!