Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Budget issues  (Read 8982 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Budget issues
« on: December 02, 2019, 09:33:48 PM »
So latest Bobby Bridge report says we're spending under the cap, and don't have the budget to bring in an injury joker.

Looks like we're trying to make a push to being more self sustaining. A good thing of course, but it maybe the results suffer a bit in doing so.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Budget issues
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 09:47:33 PM »
Its no secret we are not awash with cash and have expenses coming up in training ground.
Reality bites I guess, if we were desperate then maybe a different outcome but we can probably muddle through.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 09:54:52 PM »
This has to be the right strategy long term and will enable the academy players to develop hopefully into first team regulars. We'll certainly need them to. Lack of play off games and Champions Cup has probably meant we've had to cut our cloth accordingly. Strangely the side effects may be beneficial if we can keep ourselves afloat this year.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 09:56:58 PM »
I doubt it is that clear cut.

I am sure we are not at the limit of the cap, and I'm sure Dai doesn't curently have the budget for a medical joker to spend.

But I suspect that spending under the cap is a board level decision, and that they had their justification for it. I am also sure that if Dai went to the board and said he absolutely needed a medical joker then the money would be there.  But until the specifics of the injuries to the players we have are confirmed with timescales to recovery then I doubt that will happen. Why would the budget be there for something we don't actually know if we need?

That specific use of money has not as yet been budgeted for, therefore Dai does not have the budget.

Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 09:59:42 PM »
A sensible post!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 10:10:31 PM »
Can't argue with that VV.

I suspect being in the challenge cup may have been seen as a chance to reduce the number of "high" end players, and utilise cheaper players in the euros, giving our better players time to rest. Comes with the fun side effect of youth getting a chance to impress.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 10:29:25 PM »
I suspect being in the challenge cup may have been seen as a chance to reduce the number of "high" end players, and utilise cheaper players in the euros, giving our better players time to rest. Comes with the fun side effect of youth getting a chance to impress.

Yep, a win win for us really.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 12:02:30 AM »
I seem to recall in the pre-season that posters were lauding the SID we had in the second row with seven, yes seven, locks. Now, with five injured, we're discussing a medical joker.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 02:18:24 AM »
All of the above makes sense, with the caveat we are not relegated.
Right now it is us or Tigers, maybe Warriors at a push- does anyone here think otherwise right now?

Hopefully in a few months it will be Tigers, Warriors and not us.
There is an tendency here to point to the hysteria of the DW site, whilst they refer to happy clappy nature of this one. The truth lies somewhere in between. Nobody has a monopoly of wisdom, and right now if you said you were a time traveller from the future and told me our not-up-to-the-cap team was going to be relegated I might believe you, some signs are there for sure. Tell me how we are any better than Falcons last year, a fine team by any measure. One good team will go down this year, there are no bad ones.
There will be no win-win for us if we are relegated, so we need to leave no stone unturned to avoid that, and if that means spending then that us what we must do. If Dai asks for it- and we don't have any info- then the board must deliver. So far we know nothing as to what has been asked for, unless anyone has details?

The really galling thing is we have some star names who are not performing whilst some of the younger players are looking good. I think we just need the right run if fixtures, but relegation is a possibility. No team.is too good to go- look at Tigers- quality players abound.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 02:20:50 AM by westwaleswasp »

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 07:31:27 AM »

There will be no win-win for us if we are relegated, so we need to leave no stone unturned to avoid that, and if that means spending then that us what we must do.

If and only IF, we are relegated, the business case is unsustainable. The bond price will fall through the floor. The financial statements have consistently been based on reaching the playoffs and Champions Cup qualification. Attendances are in decline and this year, the average gate will be the lowest since the move to the Ricoh. ST numbers must be falling. The euphoria and glitz of the first 3 seasons has disappeared. The performances of the team are average with a few bright sparks.

A big shake up is needed before oblivion beckons.

I hate to say it but we should now forget the Challenge Cup. All the focus has to be on the GP. Beating Quins is a must.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 08:52:27 AM »
Agree with the European cup sentiments, it’s no use winning the thing if we get relegated. However we’ve been so inconsistent the past couple years, I’d say let’s try and play ourselves into some form while we can. Only risk is making us susceptible to more injuries

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 09:07:00 AM »
So latest Bobby Bridge report says we're spending under the cap, and don't have the budget to bring in an injury joker.

Looks like we're trying to make a push to being more self sustaining. A good thing of course, but it maybe the results suffer a bit in doing so.

Do you have a URL link to the article?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 09:13:26 AM »
Right now it is us or Tigers, maybe Warriors at a push- does anyone here think otherwise right now?

Tell me how we are any better than Falcons last year, a fine team by any measure. One good team will go down this year, there are no bad ones.

There will be no win-win for us if we are relegated, so we need to leave no stone unturned to avoid that, and if that means spending then that us what we must do.

No team.is too good to go- look at Tigers- quality players abound.

We're not better than Falcons - they were 4th the season before going down. And unless we win one of our next three fixtures, we'll have done worse than them at the start of the season - as AKW said - beating Quins is a must and bare minimum.

No team is too good - Tigers have the potential advantage that if they can over come whatever issues are bugging them, they can start Youngs, Ford, Manu and May, 4 RWC starters and in Ford, they have the player with the experience of virtually singlehandedly pulling them away from  relegation last year.

All of which contributes to my view that if the club is to take action - it need to do so asap. Looking for solutions in February will be too late imo.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 09:17:01 AM »
Much as I have been looking forward to the Edinburgh matches (for years) I also think Europe should be set aside. Our opponents over the next two weeks can be strong and quite brutal at times and we do not need one more injury.
The other side is we have to be competitive or else depression will set in- not sure how many 30/40 point losses we all can take.
Anyone going on Friday (yes we are there) look at the size of Kinghorn - at fullback or wing he is huge and the type we have needed for years.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 09:35:19 AM »

Tell me how we are any better than Falcons last year, a fine team by any measure. One good team will go down this year, there are no bad ones.

No team.is too good to go- look at Tigers- quality players abound.

We're not better than Falcons - they were 4th the season before going down. And unless we win one of our next three fixtures, we'll have done worse than them at the start of the season - as AKW said - beating Quins is a must and bare minimum.

No team is too good - Tigers have the potential advantage that if they can over come whatever issues are bugging them, they can start Youngs, Ford, Manu and May, 4 RWC starters and in Ford, they have the player with the experience of virtually singlehandedly pulling them away from  relegation last year.

All of which contributes to my view that if the club is to take action - it need to do so asap. Looking for solutions in February will be too late imo.

Didn't help them at the weekend though did it? And those players will not be available for a huge tranche of the Premiership season to come.

I agree that we certainly need to do something with what we've currently got, as there's no outside factor that will deliver us a boost. It's up to the players and coaches to rally together now. They gotta get themselves together, ask some pretty tough questions, and rediscover a desire to be nasty cunts on the pitch. It's not ability that's lacking. It's mindset. For starters we have to be more physical on the carry. let's have Ash and Sione charging in to people full throttle. Let's get aggressive line speed in defence behind Tommy. Let's get Jack over the ball every chance we get. Let's make people fear us again.