Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Last three games  (Read 5799 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Last three games
« on: March 09, 2020, 11:20:08 AM »
In the last three games we have scored an incredible 18 tries.

To put that in context, it is as many tries as Worcester have scored all season.

Long may it continue!
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: Last three games
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 11:31:08 AM »
However, and I'm not complaining because it has been great to watch, we've also allowed 10 tries against us, gifting opposition sides 2 try bonus points. Just hope they don't come back to bite us on the bum at the season end.

To be honest I'd have rather we'd allowed Sarries the try bonus rather than Irish or Glos.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 11:36:25 AM »
You score ten. We'll score eighteen ;D
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 11:54:14 AM »
Works for me.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 11:55:07 AM »
However, and I'm not complaining because it has been great to watch, we've also allowed 10 tries against us, gifting opposition sides 2 try bonus points. Just hope they don't come back to bite us on the bum at the season end.

To be honest I'd have rather we'd allowed Sarries the try bonus rather than Irish or Glos.

It is in the nature of playing the style of rugby that is enjoyable to watch. You will make mistakes and leave gaps. You will pick/select players for their attacking prowess. So, you will concede points. To aim not to concede such points, you will stifle that creative play. I think that is what Wasps did for the first half of this season.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 01:41:05 PM »
From the last 3 matches and looking at the team and result from the A match it does look as though despite having [allegedly] sub-standard coaching staff coupled with poor recruitment, we are quite well placed, playing well, and with increasingly good quality competition for places. How did that happen? Could some people perhaps have been mistaken?

Oxtedwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 01:51:13 PM »
Just throwing this into the mix, maybe with the pressure off, as far as relegation goes, Lee told the boys to go out and enjoy themselves, throw it around, more of a team organising themselves around their strengths as opposed to being given a structure that wasn't working with the talented team we have?  ;)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 01:59:11 PM »
Lima's posts on Twitter about playing at full back did not come accross as a man who had been desperate to play in that position. I wonder who made that call.

Nopace

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 07:43:10 PM »
Pretty mad stuff and i’m loving it. Strange how it’s basically the same set of players. Just shows how a lot of elite sport success is down to the mind-game. Well somethings certainly happened! Whatever it is long may it continue.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 10:17:20 PM »
It was always just about confidence for me. The shackles are now off.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 09:18:16 AM »
It was always just about confidence for me. The shackles are now off.

This, plus some enlightened person management would have made a difference.

From a strict management POV, people generally perform better when they have the support so that failing is an option....trying to avoid failure (playing conservatively) often means playing less well. So giving players the permission to "fail" and also to take on board player opinion and ideas is all crucial if you want to provide the best chance of doing well. It provides a supportive culture that players respond to.

Now - as others have said, the lack of relegation makes this easier to implement for management/coaches. However, the change has been so material, it does also reflect well on the "interim" coaches

And it doesn't have to reflect badly on Dai. As a number of posters have suggested (me too) all coaching regimes come to an end and from a distance, it look like that might have been the case. So its the biggest of big thanks to Dai and now Wasps need to move on.

The (short term) evidence is that the players have a smile on their faces, they are backing each other up and are enjoying each other's successes. The banter post drop goal, really revealed a team having fun!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 09:47:31 AM »
From a strict management POV, people generally perform better when they have the support so that failing is an option....trying to avoid failure (playing conservatively) often means playing less well. So giving players the permission to "fail" and also to take on board player opinion and ideas is all crucial if you want to provide the best chance of doing well. It provides a supportive culture that players respond to.

Yep agree 100%.

I'd have put a massive bottle of champagne or something similar in the changing room at every game, and award it to the person who pulls off the most outrageous audacious move.  Whether it leads to anything or not. Reward ambition, not just success. 

When we had Beale in the squad people were taking his lead and constantly trying ridiculous things, and sometimes they worked.  It made us a genuine joy to watch.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 09:59:08 AM »
Without wishing to pee on anyone's parade, it seems to me that we're back to where we were a couple of years ago, likely to score a load but fragile in defence.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 10:18:59 AM »
Without wishing to pee on anyone's parade, it seems to me that we're back to where we were a couple of years ago, likely to score a load but fragile in defence.

That's as maybe, but I'll take it for now!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 10:20:26 AM »

Not peeing on my parade for one.  I'm more than happy that we appear to be back playing the way we were 2-3 seasons ago.  It's great to watch.  Through this most recent, short run of 3 games we have yet to end up on the wrong end of an exciting try fest.  It will happen, but I'm much happier watching Wasps lose with ambition than scrape a win conservatively, particularly if we continue to come out on top more often than not.  We are moving in the right direction in the table as a result, but let's not forget that some of those we've passed or closed in on (Bath, Quins, Saints) are short of a lot of players due to international call ups.  Our upturn in results has coincided very nicely with a dip in form for some of our closest rivals.